PDA

View Full Version : Felt Very Good Helping My Good Friend d6dan..

hunter1947
09-23-2012, 02:19 AM
No elk ,no deer to this date for me H-47 but am having a great time out in nature playing with my trail cams etc as for seeing nature at its best ,being out in nature is what its all about this is like heaven to me :smile:..

I really don't care if I shoot and animal this year filming them and playing with my trail cams and just being out there is what its all about I have passed up a few nice WT deer earlier in the season but no elk that are legal shooters..

What ever unfolds the rest of the two months that I will be in the bush will never come close to the hunting week I had with my good friend d6dan and Brit 303 Kyle.

Helping dan get his WT buck and a few grouse is the hi light of this years stay in my hunting camp no other will even come close to the emotions that had run through me during dans 6 day stay in my hunting camp .

Way to go Dan buddy your are the man and you and Kyle are always welcome in my hunting camp I will be looking forward to seeing you two come in for a 2013 hunt next Sept.

Me and Kyle were onto a herd bull elk on top of a mountain had lots of action but could not get the bull to leave his cows he just kept taking them away into no mans land ,a few clips I put up on my trail cam picture thread you can hear the bull calling back to me if you turn up your volume and listen.

Kyle and I had a herd of cows come in on our bating station the baiting station was set out 30 feet from our blind the whole herd except the bull came in this was very cool to see the cows and calves 40 feet away.

I will be headed back into the bush for the next two months to see nature at its best and have fun with my trail cams and good friends that come and go from my hunting camp :smile: :smile: H-47..

Picture with a big smile on Dans face tells the hole story ...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00725.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

TIKA 300
09-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Wayne
Great to see that you put so much time into friends,that is an awesome trait,hope you connect and have a great time......

quadrakid
09-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Nice buck and a great mess of grouse.Sounds like a good time in camp1947

Knute
09-23-2012, 07:24 AM
You're a lucky man, being able to spend that kind of time at your camp and welcoming friends in to share the wealth of the B.C. outdoors.

Good luck and have a great season.

kennyj
09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Great job Wayne, helping your fellow hunters get their game. Glad things are going well out there.
kenny

09-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Good on ya once again Wayne, congrats to all.

CT

Bc Deer Hunter
09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Great job guys, nice buck for sure. First's always do taste the best!!!!!

sapper
09-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Great job, Wayne. Nice to see you giving some hospitality to D6Dan. He's a quality guy who has offered me advice and information in the past. Nice work, boys.

gamehunter6o
09-23-2012, 11:54 AM
You're the Man, Wayne. Well done.

303Brit
09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
It was great to catch up with Wayne, for Dan and I to get off the island for a week long hunt together was amazing. We manage to snag 2 bucks, I got mine the first morning so I could focus on chasing elk around in the mountains. Dan dirt napped his the next morning, 10 mins into legal light in a moderate to heavy fog we spot the silhouette of a deer, I quickly grabbed the bino's it's a buck Dan. I pass him the bino's and get his rifle adn shooting sticks ready. Dan secures the vehicle and gets setup (which proved awkard on the slight downhill slope) once ready the deer only presented a head-front shoulder shot.
Dan very calmly placed one round into the centre of the deers neck. the deer turn about 160 degrees and managed to move about 10 feet before succumbing to lead poisoning.
It was a mere minutes later where the video pics up.
Then Wayne and I gave the animal a quick gutting to lighten it up some, then dragged it up hill to dress it properly and bag the heart and liver.
Then we looked at each other said well what should we do for the rest fo the day....lol
so we went in search of ditch chickens :D

stay tuned for the chicken episode, I am off to the range with Mrs. SKS and a neighbour of ours

d6dan
09-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Okay, here's a little story on 303brit's and my trip to H47's camp.

We finally roll into Wayne's camp about 4:00 pm on Sept 9th. Tired of sitting in my truck seat all day and needing to get out of it, things are looking pretty good. So being a great guy, 303brit gets my wheelchair out and sets it up for me to jump into. Ahhh, that feels great. We meet a couple of gents camping beside Wayne that he's known most of his adult life. Wayne and Kiel unload all of our stuff and set it up in Wayne's tent.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0048_zps4a8fdda8.jpg

Wayne layed out some sheeting for a floor to make it easier for me to deal with things. Fantastic I say!. worked like a hot damn.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0051_zpsa6156b3d.jpg

Opening morning comes early in Wayne's world.:shock: 4:30am and he's getting us up. Coffee and breakfast is fast done with, so we jump into my truck and head for some unknown to us, but really nice looking country. We drove around and killed a couple of grouse, but had not seen one deer or elk. So we decide to head back out and have some lunch. Were cruising down the road and I look up on this hill and see a spork Whitetail (spike and fork) standing there looking right at us. I hit the brakes and grab my binos for a better look, Kiel decides to get out of the truck and come around to my side. Are you taking him I say?. We Kiel says, were meat hunting, so yeah. Boom!, deer dissapears and so H47 and 303brit go looking and find him piled up about 30yds from where he shot him. Not a big buck,but a good young,tasty whitetail. (I think Kiel has the pics.).

more to come......

d6dan
09-23-2012, 03:46 PM
So on we go, headed back to camp to deal with Kiel's bucks. Had some dinner and reflect on a great day.

Day 2 dawned early and looking out from camp, there was a fog that wasn't going anywhere soon. So off we go looking for some sign of elk movement and maybe a whitetail. We drive to a point and ask Wayne ,should we try this spur road and Kiel says, heck I've had good luck hunting in the fog. So off we go up to the top. Nothing, not even a chicken or rabbit. :frown: We just started down and thats when I spotted a deer. He wasn't nothing to write home about, but a buck none the less. Being a left-handed shot and having to shoot right-handed, I put my Primos shooting stick to good use and Boom, Region 4 whitey done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U15KHiyLtiA
We later used my range finder and it as 87yds.
That done, we were off hunting chickens. Kiel could'nt have asked for a better day. He limited out on 2 Franklins and 3 Blues. Man, what a way to end a pefect day.

d6dan
09-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Now,we were done hunting whitetails, so 303brit and H47 were hunting elk. They put a valiant effort into it, but came up short. It wasn't to be this year. The weather sucked and we did'nt have the time that was needed to get a elk for Kiel. Maybe next year buddy..One evening i dropped those 2 off on a road and proceeded up about 2km from them and parked my truck. While I sat there, i couldn't believe what walked towards me..........Bobcat at maybe 50'. Coolest cat i have ever been near and first time that I have seen one. Awesome time, great camp,good people, tons of chickens..i (would do that hunt again just for the chickens).
Here's a couple of pics..
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0062_zps79804b4a.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0062_zps79804b4a.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0057_zps9aa1e922.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0081_zpsdf5ea91f.jpg

Look closely and you will see Kiel infront of a big Larch tree...
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/2012%20EK%20Hunt/DSCF0078_zps68042332.jpg

landphil
09-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Good story and great pics. Nicely done by all!

Wheelin Sportsman
09-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Fantastic story!

OutWest
09-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Awesome stuff guys! Congrats on the bucks!

303Brit
09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
The chicken hunting was fantastic, we put quite a few shells through Dan's single shot 410. we got into blue's, spruce, and ruffies the nights when Wayne and I went in search of elk and to check trail cams we would come across 10 plus grouse, usually we didn't have a shotgun or 22 with us to dispatch them with.
It was a great trip all the way around even without cutting an elk tag. I can never say enough about Wayne and his big heart, he went over and above to make sure everyone was comfortable and had what they needed.
I look forward to next years trip

yamadirt 426
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Great job boys ! thanks for the read

eastkoot
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Good on ya, some fine meat, and hugs and kisses to H47,not!!!!!!!!!!!

d6dan
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Good on ya, some fine meat, and hugs and kisses to H47,not!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey,,,, what happened to your Bro.? I was expecting him in camp...

Stone Sheep Steve
09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Great job everyone!!

Always an inspiration to see you out doing what you've always loved to do, Dan!! Even though the critters that you chase have changed a bit, your smile is as big as always!

Congrats!

SSS

Philcott
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Making it happen. Good going all around.

303Brit
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
So ditch chicken episode #1 by 303
We figured why waste a good morning going back to camp a mere 1hr after we left, so with a well dressed and wraped up deer in the back oif the explorer we decided to go for a drive. I swapped out dan's 7mm08 for his .410 and a box of shells we decide to check a mainline that we haven't seen yet, as it had a very promising looking slash at the top of it. We cruise for approx 30min or so and are up the 3br of this mainline, before we hear some crashing in the woods. I can't quite make out what it is, so wayne and I dismount and take up a position at the downard side of the landing we were on. A short period of time passes and Wayne looks at me with a bit of a grin and says Squirrels. Grr alright back in the truck we go and cruise back down to the mainit was a couple turns later when I holler STOP....Grouse. Dan stops the explorer and promptly says well...what are you waiting for get out and kill it. Certainly, I dismount load the .410 and begin an open road stalk to close the distance. As I get about 25yds the bird turns bobbles its head like it's ready to.. BOOM head shot the bird does the ground swatting wing flap to the edge of the road. Dan drives up and Wayne and I comb the edge of the road and recover the bird. A very pretty example of a spruce rooster, into the truck it goes and we are off driving again.
We hit the main and head for the top, about 2/3 of the way up we round another hair pin and another spruce is at the edge of the road. Dan says KILL IT, I oblige him out the truck I go and whack dirt nap this grouse at maybe 12yds, I toss the bird in the back.
Off we go some more climbing into a monsterous slash Dam near the size of PEI. We get to the end of the fresh slash and start into the 6yr old slash as a we round the corner and clear a landing a big grouse scurries across the road right near the truck and takes up a hiding spot behind a downed larched. Leaving Dan again with no shot. I exit the vehicle, taking aim, Dan hollers remember it's a .410 (i usually have a 20 or a 12) So I wait for the bird to waddle between the dead branchs giving me a relatively clear shot boom, bird down and 2 more flush and fly up into a tree. I crack the shotgun open no shell extraction..dammit.. I head to the truck I use a cleaning rod to clear the FTE I grab a couple more shells. I start stalking the tree'd birds, I hear Dan say shoot the bottom one, and maybe the other one will sit still for ya certainly. Boom pushed a 30yd shot, the bottom bird drops like a rock. The top bird flies 30yds farther away landing up another mostly dead larch, crack the shotgun load up another shell. I begin closing the gap, noticing this bird is running out of trees to fly to, and the bird is ansy. I close maybe 13yds and walk real slow taking aim, the bird twitches again BOOM the bird falls like humpty dumpty. I crack the shotgun recover the shell, re-assess the shot look at Dan and say that was a long one http://bigshotsbc.ca/Smileys/default/wink.gif I recover the second bird as Wayne jumps out to ge tthe first that is still alive! Wayne grabs him and rings his neck it does the funky chicken I grab the third bird. I look at them I have never seen a grouse this big before. I bring them to the driverside and Dan looks them over.....BLUES he says them be blues boys, I reply with they are huge. Wayne and I toss them into the truck and we head back to camp to skin Dan's deer and I debone mine. We talk about the shot on the 3rd bird and I figure it was about 45-47yds.

eastkoot
09-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey,,,, what happened to your Bro.? I was expecting him in camp...
Bro is in Jaffray area till tomorrow and had a few "encounters" so just never got around to visiting..

Jagermeister
09-25-2012, 07:11 PM
That is might gracious of you Wayne. A well setup camp to accomodate the wheel chair.
I commend you Dan for getting out and doing what you like to do.

popsy
09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Good on ya Wayne!!! Looks and sounds like the boys had a great time.

moose2
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Great thread Wayne sounds like your having a blast. Congrats to Dan on his buck.
Mike