PDA

View Full Version : Which do you enjoy hunting the most

Brambles
11-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Like the title says, what animal do you like to hunt the most and why.

I like hunting every species but right now for some strange reason I really enjoy hunting Moose even though I never had the chance this year.

I was out yesterday doing some still hunting for whitetails and came across a decent bull moose, I'd guess at least 45" maybe a touch more, pretty good for a shiras for sure, and tripalm to boot, played with him for a bit but he wasn't interested in anything I had to say and walked off, I ran into him a little later in the hunt again. Just reminded me how much I like to hunt them.

Islandeer
11-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Whitetails, on timbered ridges or bottoms, interspaced with fir or pine thickets. Very challenging and close range encounters!! Muleys and blacktails in big timber would be next.

mikek blacktail
11-24-2006, 09:48 AM
mulies with my bow ,because they look huge at 20 yrds all deer hunting is tops in my books

BCrams
11-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Its a dead tie between sheep and mule deer for me.

youngfellla
11-24-2006, 09:57 AM
For me, nothing beats hunting grizzlies. Nothing quite like it.

After that, probably split between moose & caribou.

willyqbc
11-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I LOVE MOOSE!!! That being said my first attempt at elk hunting this year seems like it could be very addicting!!

Chris

gordied2006
11-24-2006, 10:17 AM
my first choice would be big muleys in big timber second would be big muleys in the sage:)

ringo
11-24-2006, 10:19 AM
My 2 main passions are whitetails and elk. I love hunting whitetails because they are a wily, cunning, smart animal with some flaws that allow me to capitallize on and harvest them. Usually, an elk wanders into the picture and things get interesting counting tines to be absolutely sure and not revealing my position in the excitement. Both are beautifully graceful animals that garner my respect.

bigwhiteys
11-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Stone Sheep & Big Whitetails... Both Extremely Smart, Both Very Challenging...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BigD
11-24-2006, 10:25 AM
I never really got the point of hunting anything you couldn't eat but other then that its all good from rabbits to moose

The 'Hummer'
11-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Just posted a similar response on Canadian Gunnutz.
If I was only allowed to hunt one big game animal, Moose, hands down. Why? A great animal to hunt, partially because of the power and size. And, because sirloin tip Moose roast goes well with yorkshire pudding, garlic mashed potatoes and lots of Moose gravy.:biggrin: The ez-brother in law told me sheep is the best but I've never tried it as the 'promised' sheep roast has never materialized.
Favorite game bird, Ruff Grouse, especially with my dog. Why, because it is usually fast, and a lot of the time, unexpected shooting sessions. As important, taste. White meat, bone the breast, split each half in half again, roll in a beer batter and deep fry. Tastes like lean chicken.:grin: After Ruffs, pheasant.
willyqbc, I hunt Moose in your neck of the woods. I used to live in Wells and my sister & I still have a cabin at Bowron. Great country for both Moose & Ruffs.:)

Stone Sheep Steve
11-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Sheep hands down. It's the only real hunt that I can sink my teeth into. Two weeks straight backpacking. You can't beat that8) ! Success or no success the country alone makes the trip.

I enjoy chasing mulies and whities but it's always a day hunt at best for me.
Crap! I enjoy chasing anything given the time!

SSS

todbartell
11-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Coyotes, lots of fun, low pressure, calling, small target, smart as hell

rollingrock
11-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Even though hunting deer is very challenging and lots of fun, I think bear hunting is the most enjoyable. There're so many uncertainties, and bears could show up anywhere any time. And you don't know what's gonna happen until the big guy goes down. :D

mainland hunter
11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
id say sheep, only done it once but the effort required and the country youre in is spectacular. ive heard the meat is great and i want to do up a nice lifesize ram for the shop. after that elk moose and muley are very close seconds. plus i gotta try cougar hunting before i can say. but after trying the meat last year its on my list. best game meat ive had.

frenchbar
11-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Glassing for big muleys in the high alpine,nothing like spottin a big un a mile away then stalking in for the kill.

Leaseman
11-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Moose all the way...why???...grew up eating and hunting moose...still remember the first deer I shot after years of moose hunting, couldn't get over the ground shrinkage:lol: :lol:

Mike

kootenayelkslayer
11-24-2006, 01:05 PM
I think elk hunting takes the cake. Nothing compares to calling in a rut-crazed bull, especially when you're in the backcountry with no other hunters to worry about. There is something about the sound of that bugle that keeps me going back for more.

stanway
11-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I enjoy hunting deer. Whether it's whitetail, mule, or blacktail, I like it all. If I had to choose one, it is blacktail. Blacktails were the first deer I hunted and so it will always be kind of 'special' to me.

:)

ellellbee
11-24-2006, 01:18 PM
I really only hunt mule deer and moose. I prefer moose for the calling and the meat. Would love to hunt Elk but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Gateholio
11-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Rightnow, it's sheep...Mostly because I have never had to do any clenaing/caping/deboning work yet.:lol: :lol: 8-)

Murder
11-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Blacktail. I don't go off the Island often, and the only other stuff worth shootin is elk and bear. I haven't been able to pull an elk draw out of my ass yet, and I am not a huge fan of bear meat. I know it's not asked, but I will add that for birds I only shoot mallards, Canada geese, grouse and pheasant.

RiverOtter
11-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Tough to choose just 1, as I enjoy hunting many species. I voted for Elk based on the amount of time I have spent hunting them over the years compared with other species. Tough to beat the thrill of bugling back and forth with a big ol' herd bull in a remote valley. Bears would probably be a close second, as they take up most of my time from late April to early June.

RO

Frango
11-24-2006, 03:09 PM
For me, Elk, hands down.It's hard to beat calling or mewing a 6 pointer in.Just to hear them bugle or bark gets the hair on you neck up.I do enjoy a nice moose on the BBQ though.This year I have both so hunting was good.I live on the island and have been trying for 25 years for an elk draw.One day Maybe???? A big rosie well walk up to me and introduce himself.

oldtimer
11-24-2006, 03:10 PM
With a bow the thrill of trying a stalk on a spring bear... awesome !!!! Haven't got one yet but lots of stalks. Mike

DropTines
11-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Mule deer and Whitetail

huntwriter
11-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I voted whitetail deer.
I like it because the whitetail deer is the widest spread animal in North America. In some places you can hunt them without having to drive for hours. Most everywhere the bag limits are very generous for deer. But more than that I have a secret passion for whitetail deer.

Next in line would be the wild turkey that I like for the same reasons I like whitetail deer hunting.

Call me lazy but I do like it simple and easy.:)

mark
11-24-2006, 06:24 PM
A toss up between elk and muleys for me! if you made me choose id go crazy!

browningboy
11-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Moose and elk are where its at, the meat is hands down the best, nothing like calling for moose or bugling for elk, and just the size of them are what keeps you coming back, use to hunt deer, don't anymore had too many "gamey" experiences, so it just turns the stomach:eek:

Deaddog
11-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Tie between sheep and elk, sheep because of where they live , so remote, rough, you know you have been on a hunt when you come home so sore, underweight and beat up you can barely move ( sounds like fun eh:lol: ) elk, not much comes close the the screaming bugle of a bull elk early in the am to get the blood going

slyfox
11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Goats,sheep for big game and pheasant is numder 3 for me.

rocksteady
11-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Elk, cause they scream at you and its a wild ride arguing with a big bull...

TravisC
11-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Moose is awesome, not quite sure why i've found it so thrilling prob. cause their just so massive and taste sooooooooooooo good.
I do think that if i were to get an elk draw that might be right up there if not the best since hunting them would be like hunting the blackys and mules. The hard bush pounding and like moose the thrill and excitement to have one come in to a call. It would put all three hunting styles in one that would be Awesome.

brotherjack
11-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Mule Deer, any day of the week! Elk hunting involves too much frustration, and whitetail hunting involves long periods of boredom while doing the sit and wait thing. Mule deer hunting is just great fun all the way around, and good exercise to boot. Really nothing I dislike about mule deer hunting.

Kirby
11-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Muleys. High country, open timber, nasty thick crap, anyway its good. I want to try sheep, maybe 07 I'll make it out for them. But for now its muleys.

Kirby

rocksteady
11-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Mule Deer, any day of the week! Elk hunting involves too much frustration, and whitetail hunting involves long periods of boredom while doing the sit and wait thing. Mule deer hunting is just great fun all the way around, and good exercise to boot. Really nothing I dislike about mule deer hunting.

Maybe, but what is your wife's favorite, as we all know she is the "hunter" of the family??:lol: :lol: :lol:

mcrae
11-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Spring bear after a long winter nothing beats thoses first few forays in sun or rain! I have always been partial to bear hunting but moose is a close second.

johnes50
11-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I haven't hunted off the Island for a long time, so I would have to say Blacktails. I like going bear hunting cause I always see a lot of them, but I end up taking pictures instead of shooting them. But, that said, I would like to get a moose next year.

As for small game, I used to love squirrel hunting with a .22 when I was a kid. They're cautious and quick and If you can get a head shot on a squirrel with an open site .22 at 30 yards, then you can hit most anything. And they taste good too! John

Krico
11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Sheep sheep sheep, I love sheep. The country they live in is unbeatable scenery, they are beautiful animals and make for a very challenging hunt both mentally and physically. That being said, I just love hunting in general and have fun chasing pretty much anything.

LeverActionJunkie
11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I answered Mule Deer because that's mostly all I hunted this year. In region three at least it's good fun, up around Clinton I can ride my horse all day, without seeing anyone (at least close to where I'm at), and five times this year counted 40 plus deer a day. but in reality I love hunting everything bears, moose, grouse, chukars, and COYOTES are extremely ADDICTIVE!

RiverOtter
11-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Wonder how many guys who voted Mule deer as their favorite game animal to hunt were influenced by the recent threads on that species. 28% seems a bit high, especially when you consider all the other species on the list.

RO

bcmulie
11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Definitely mule deer - and that's not just because of the recent threads. There's a ton of reasons why, ranging from the country they live in to nature of the animal itself. I'd be hunting them right now, if only I could convince my wife that a month and a half of hunting this year isn't enough... :sad: Sheep are a close second.

mark
11-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Im personally shocked to see that moose has beatout elk. Moose hunting is boring in comparison, IMO.

Ian F.
11-26-2006, 05:11 PM
None of the above!

Waterfowling!

Of all the choices sea duckin is probably at the top, followed by field shooting.

Very best,

Ian

The 'Hummer'
11-26-2006, 07:12 PM
It is a lot of fun. We used to make a point of hunting the mouth of the Chemainus River, especially between Christmas & New Years. With a bit of a breeze, and cold weather to freeze some of the ponds locally, it didn't take long to get the 10ga AYA 'warmed' up. Loved the action but I'm not all that fond of eating Ducks or Geese, so, unless a friend wants some, I don't bother hunting them.

30-06
11-26-2006, 07:24 PM
i LOVE moose hunting ..but i put elk because it take more stragety i think.

Odd-6
11-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Big blacktail is a challenge

MB_Boy
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Although I love a fly-in moose hunt, my all time favourite is going after Whitetail bucks in MB with a traditional muzzleloader. I have not had a chance to hunt the wide variety of species that BC offers, but the 2 weeks leading up to the rut with a Muzzie only season makes it really enjoyable and challenging. Lots of rattling and also hunting in the thick stuff where you aren't getting much more than a 30 yard shot top end.

ellellbee
12-02-2006, 10:39 PM
After seeing Partsman's previous post:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8793&highlight=squirrel
I vote that squirrel be added to the list.

hunter1947
12-03-2006, 06:03 AM
I love elk hunting ,after 33 years of hunting them ,i still can't figure them out :frown: hunter 1947.

Byson
12-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Muley Hunting in region 7 love big racks, Moose hunting would be next