PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question- Leupold Vari-X III

Sundance1972
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Bought an older Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 duplex reticle and noticed that on the adjustment ring there is also some yardage markings. 3.5 power/200 yards, 6 power/400 yards etc up to 600 yards at 10 power. Is this just a suggestion of the power to use at that distance, or am I missing something?
This is my first Leupold scope, have always had Bushnel or Burris, and have never seen these markings before.

Gateholio
09-22-2012, 04:18 PM
It's a quick and dirty range finder. Go to Leupolds site and check out the instructions. Basically it's at 400 yards and on 6X a deers body will fill up the distance between the horizontal crosshair and the "post"

RiverOtter
09-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Congrats on stepping up from BushSmell and Blurris and into a real scope.....:smile:

Gatehouse is right with the extra numbers being used for range estimation, though I'd not rely very heavily on that system....

Sundance1972
09-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Congrats on stepping up from BushSmell and Blurris and into a real scope.....:smile:

Gatehouse is right with the extra numbers being used for range estimation, though I'd not rely very heavily on that system....

Thought it might be something like that, but honestly wasn't too sure. Kinda like the "rack bracket" on the DOA scopes? Like the scope so far (except for trying to find rings for the short tube!!), but (and I'm sure I'll get some "hate mail" for this) can't see any difference between my Burris and the 4200's I've owned in the past. Maybe my eyes are starting to go?

The Dude
09-23-2012, 01:22 AM
I have both a 4200 and a couple Leupolds, and I'd be hard pressed to tell the diff.
Only diff practically is the Leupy's will hold zero better, take a beating, and still hold zero, and the warranty is better.

huntcoop
09-23-2012, 10:49 AM
...can't see any difference between my Burris and the 4200's I've owned in the past. Maybe my eyes are starting to go?

I will gladly take it off your hands :smile: even have an original Bausch & Lomb Elite 3200 in 3-9x40 that I'd swap ya plus some cash :smile:

Sundance1972
09-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I will gladly take it off your hands :smile: even have an original Bausch & Lomb Elite 3200 in 3-9x40 that I'd swap ya plus some cash :smile:

Think I will hang on to it for awhile !! :D Spent almost an hour at WSS yesterday trying to find the right extension rings for my Savage (guys at the counter were actually helpfull for once!!!), but didn't have what I needed in stock. Wound up putting it on my 6.5-06 and bought the Burris Zee rings to put a FFII on the Savage. Will have to hit the range and see how the b-plex works with a 300 Win Mag