PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 with 165 grain enough for Grizzly?

jessieboy1
09-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I Have a Cow Moose and Grizzly LEH Draw in 7-23 Zone B and I know Grizzly hunting should be done with a more powerful magnum caliber but I own two 30-06s as I have hunted just Deer my whole life and never went up north.Anybody shot a Grizzly with one?I know that shot placement is most important but do they run usually even when hit well?I am a good shot and would not shoot one more than 150 yards just to make sure I hit him hard and in the right spot.Going for the Moose for sure but need to make a decision about buying an $80 Grizzly Tag.Oh yeah;I will will be hunting solo because my only hunting buddy can't get the time off work.Plus I have a Beer Belly and can't run very fast so...

Jagermeister
09-22-2012, 11:35 AM
The worst thing that can occur is a wounded grizzly. You may turn from the hunter to the hunted in pretty short order.
I think that a competent person can kill a grizzly with a 30.06, one just has to have their mojo in order and not panic. If you can't get your nerves to settle down, best to pass on the shot unless he is getting ready to lick your ass.
I think it would be better to have a heavier bullet, like a 180, 190 or even 200 grain. A 180 would be better than a 165 which are best suited to .308Win IMO.
And that is my 2¢ worth.

James M
09-22-2012, 11:38 AM
This bear was shot with a 30-06 165 grain....I believe it was a Hornady Interlock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_-VFLokzA

Bear Chaser
09-22-2012, 11:40 AM
200 grain Accubonds.
Everything else that Jagermeister said is good advice.

Jagermeister
09-22-2012, 02:35 PM
This bear was shot with a 30-06 165 grain....I believe it was a Hornady Interlock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_-VFLokzA
How did you arrive at the 30.06 with a 165 Hornady Interlock? I did not hear any mention whatsoever of caliber let alone bullet weight.
And if you notice, both hunters were tagging the bear. That running shot is one of those low percentage shots that J_T refers to and is disaster in the making, too easy to wound him and he gets away.

Bear Chaser
09-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Going for the Moose for sure but need to make a decision about buying an $80 Grizzly Tag.

For sure you should be buying the grizzly tag and making the effort to hunt one. If there were any doubts about hunting grizzlies you should not have applied for the tag in the first place.

The opportunity that you do not take advantage of is an opportunity that was denied to another hunter as you won the draw.

monasheemountainman
09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
For sure you should be buying the grizzly tag and making the effort to hunt one. If there were any doubts about hunting grizzlies you should not have applied for the tag in the first place.

The opportunity that you do not take advantage of is an opportunity that was denied to another hunter as you won the draw.

not only that, but if you have the opportunity to have a griz tag in grizz country while hunting moose, it would be stupid not to have it. can you imagine having to shoot a grizz without a tag, when you had a draw for one!!!

Darksith
09-22-2012, 03:25 PM
not only that, but if you have the opportunity to have a griz tag in grizz country while hunting moose, it would be stupid not to have it. can you imagine having to shoot a grizz without a tag, when you had a draw for one!!!

why would you "have" to shoot a griz...if you come back telling me in self defense thats a pretty low percentage. If you reply to keep your moose then "its not a have".

Either way you won the draw you don't have to harvest an animal, but you should at the very least purchase the tag. If I were you I would buy a box of top notch 200g ammo and take it to the range...see where it lands relative to your 165g bullet. You might be able to hunt with both if you have the right scope, or at the very least know exactly where that bullet is gonna land at a certain distance. Look to anchor the bear in its tracks by shooting the shoulder as so many experienced G bear hunters on here have recommended.

monasheemountainman
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
why would you "have" to shoot a griz...if you come back telling me in self defense thats a pretty low percentage. If you reply to keep your moose then "its not a have".

Either way you won the draw you don't have to harvest an animal, but you should at the very least purchase the tag. If I were you I would buy a box of top notch 200g ammo and take it to the range...see where it lands relative to your 165g bullet. You might be able to hunt with both if you have the right scope, or at the very least know exactly where that bullet is gonna land at a certain distance. Look to anchor the bear in its tracks by shooting the shoulder as so many experienced G bear hunters on here have recommended.

might be pretty low, but it happens, and i would hate to have to explain to a c.o why i shot a bear without a tag when i was eligible for one. either way if you get a tag and you are going in the area anyway, you should have one.

kendoo
09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
I would use nothing but 220 gr. round nose, unless you are shooting 200 yards or more.
Round nose will cut some brush & grizzleys like the thick stuff.

Foxton Gundogs
09-22-2012, 03:40 PM
My saddle gun for years in G and B bear country was an '06 loaded up with 210 or 220(if I could get them) gr round nose bullets. Although I never had to anchor a G bear with it I have taken down some VERY big B bears as well as moose and elk. IMO 165 is to light no matter how good the bullet is. If you are planing to go after a G bear or feel you may run into one and want to take it I'd look at a good 200 gr. bullet. the '06 will do fine.

brutus
09-22-2012, 03:44 PM
30-06 with165 gr is more then enought to kill anything lol,where u put the bullet is where it counts,my buddy. shot one with a 270 with 130 barnes and the griz was dead in seconds.i own a 30=06 and shoot 165 barnes,shot a big black bear with it the bullet went true and made a hole 4" big on the other side lol.i also own magnum calibers but the balistic diference is not that big of a deal,they are all 30 calibers a couple hundred feet per second dont make a big difference when you hit it in the lungs heart.prety sure u put your 165 gr barnes in the right place it will come out the other side of a big grizzzzzz.buy a tag for sure well worth the 80$$

hunter1993ap
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
no you cant shoot a grizzly with a 30 06 because its not a magnum.. we have went over this already. if i were you i would get a 180 or 200 grain bullet but the 165 will work.

warnniklz
09-22-2012, 04:23 PM
power shok loads a 220 grain speer hot core for 30_06... just sayin

I'd personally want a handload 220 grain partion if I chose to use my 30_06

Gateholio
09-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I'd use a 30-06 with 165gr TSX bullet, no problem.

09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd use a 30-06 with 165gr TSX bullet, no problem.

Absolutely. A 165 gr TSX would be great medicine for a grizzly if you do your part...and if you don't, it really wont matter what bullet weight your shooting

09-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Not my choice when Targeting a G bear but it did work for me when it needed too ....... and that was from a .308 Win with 165 Gr. Nosler Partitions ....

CT

Hoof
09-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Hornady 165 gr gmx tuff bullet ment for big game and shoots 100 to 200 feet faster. just go to the hornady page and see what they have to say

180grainer
09-22-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm sort of with Gatehouse. If you use 165 or 168 TSX or TTSX you'll certainly have the penetration. If you're using lead based bullets, I'd stick with a 200 grain in Swift A frame or something of similar construction. I've known people to hunt Griz with an ought 6 and be successful. I had a friend who hunted Griz with a 270 and he died doing that. If you're going to hunt Grizzly with an 06 do it with a friend who's also packing a rifle or defender. Try to make your shots close. Talk to most guides and they'll tell you they get their clients as close to the animal as possible without the animal knowing your there as it increases the odds of a "well" placed shot. If you wound the Griz, give it at least 2 hours, (if not the next day) before you begin tracking him. This is where the 06 fans loose me. You do not want to track a wounded grizzly with that type of weapon. Great for killing something that don't know you're there on a mountain side. Shit#@y for walking through an alder thicket looking for something pissed off that's also looking for you.

goatdancer
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Federal Hi energy comes with a 180 gr Nosler Partition.

rainman
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM

well i must be the low percentage guy,i had a moose draw in the exact same place last year,im not sure when i should of shot the grizz.....when he dragged the moose from the back door of the camper.....when he sank my boat and and chewed the ..it out of it or when he tried to push the camper off my truck the next night while i was in it........LOTS OF GRIZZ in the area...be careful

.330 Dakota
09-22-2012, 07:41 PM
well i must be the low percentage guy,i had a moose draw in the exact same place last year,im not sure when i should of shot the grizz.....when he dragged the moose from the back door of the camper.....when he sank my boat and and chewed the ..it out of it or when he tried to push the camper off my truck the next night while i was in it........LOTS OF GRIZZ in the area...be careful

Well,, I think it happens a lot more than most people realize,,,it happened to us this fall in Tumbler,,so my odds were uhhhh...100%

rainman
09-22-2012, 08:00 PM
its funny a friend warned me about the grizz in the area and sure enough it happens..........he has been hunting there for years and always has trouble ,like i said before be careful...and the 30-06 part,,,when he was snapping and grunting at me at 50 feet i WOULDNT have felt comfortable with a 30-06 .....with my handloaded 250 grain 338s i felt a little more at ease.....and i know ..shot placement yad yada yada......at 3 in the morning half asleep when a grizz wants to kill me i want a gun that will penetrate from ANY angle....my 2 cents

Mtn Man
09-22-2012, 08:07 PM
agree with goatdancer 180 grain nosler partition

Jagermeister
09-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Nobody has broached the subject of shot placement.
For me, the shot is going to be for the shoulders. I want to immobilize and impede his ability to move. Once that has been done, then the killing shot. I would be using my 9.3X62 with aleast a 250 grain. And I would have a second gun and someone to shot it.
However, I have never shot a grizzly bear, never had the desire but that is what I would do if I were hunting for one.
Most times I have seen a grizzly, they have been booking it for the other side of the hill except for the time when there were three tracking a hunter along a seismic line near the Sikanni Chief River. He got away unscathed.
Defensively, it is hard to say. The situation is entirely different and generally close quarters. No time to aim, much that same I suppose when you have wounded one and are trying to track it down and you stumble onto him and he ain't dead.

nap
09-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Ahh!!! what the heck you must have a birthday or some reason to get your self something new, buy your self something!!! Get yourself an old big favorite with lots of history. What would make you more comfy?? Oh and buy that grizz tag.

rainman
09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Nobody has broached the subject of shot placement.
For me, the shot is going to be for the shoulders. I want to immobilize and impede his ability to move. Once that has been done, then the killing shot. I would be using my 9.3X62 with aleast a 250 grain. And I would have a second gun and someone to shot it.
However, I have never shot a grizzly bear, never had the desire but that is what I would do if I were hunting for one.
Most times I have seen a grizzly, they have been booking it for the other side of the hill except for the time when there were three tracking a hunter along a seismic line near the Sikanni Chief River. He got away unscathed.
Defensively, it is hard to say. The situation is entirely different and generally close quarters. No time to aim, much that same I suppose when you have wounded one and are trying to track it down and you stumble onto him and he ain't dead.

same as i said earlier i want something that will stop it not wait for perfect broadside shot

StoneChaser
09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
A 30-06 with a well constructed 165gr bullet (TSX, NP, AB) is plenty for grizz.

steelballs
09-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I was going to use my .22 and a federal power point to take my griz at about 50 yards

180grainer
09-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I was going to use my .22 and a federal power point to take my griz at about 50 yards

Lets hope the Grizzly knows how to use your camera so we can see some pics after.

James M
09-23-2012, 01:42 PM
How did you arrive at the 30.06 with a 165 Hornady Interlock? I did not hear any mention whatsoever of caliber let alone bullet weight.
And if you notice, both hunters were tagging the bear. That running shot is one of those low percentage shots that J_T refers to and is disaster in the making, too easy to wound him and he gets away.

I asked the guy who shot it.

steelballs
09-23-2012, 03:25 PM
That would be a pretty smart bear and hell post it too lol

broadhead67
09-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Grizz is two different animals, walking by a river they fairly easy to drop (everything from .22 high power to 30/30 has been used for many years) charging you full of adrenaline its a completley different animal . If you have time pick up a book by Clayton Mack -Grizzlys and White Guys - ,great read and full of information. As my dad used to tell me "listen to everyones advise follow your own" . btw my dad used to load 2 -200 gr 30/06 then 3 - 150 gr on top . 150 was for hunting everything ,200 was for what was hunting him.

GoatGuy
09-24-2012, 08:40 AM

x2...........

gibblewabble
09-24-2012, 10:08 AM
220 grain Nobler partitions should be just fine, go to the range and make sure you know how much it'll drop compared to the 165's. Jagermeister has sound advice and the od 6 will do just fine , lots of grizzly have been taken with that caliber. I hunter with 168 grains in my 3006 as it is the match grade bullet for that caliber but have shot all the way up to 220 and they drop moose and black bear pretty good. Good luck.

ACE
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Not my choice when targeting a G-bear but it did work for me when it needed too ....... and that was from a .308 Win with 165 Gr. Nosler Partitions ....CT

Agree with Curly...... 165g will do the job if you do yours, but, there are better bullet choices than the 165g
You owe it to everyone that tried for a G-bear LEH in that area to buy the tag......if you're not really interested in bear hunting, don't apply for LEH bear tags.....

hunter1993ap
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
IMO 30-06 to small, i shot my grizz this spring with a 300 wsm 180g nosler partion. Thought i hit it perfectly at about 130-50 yards one shot rolled over and ran about 200 yards and stopped, no noise. Went in about an hour and half later with my partner thank god he was there, bear was very alive and charged us had time for one shot and dropped it five feet from us. My advice use a 300 or higher caliber and dont hunt grizz alone and hit it good the first shot!!

you dont hit them perfect everytime, even though from some guys posts you would swear they havnt missed their target. this just shows that even larger calibers will not kill if you dont hit it right. regardless of caliber you have to take out vitals or you could have a close call. a bigger caliber might give you a little more room for error but you still need to hit it right. a 3006 is not too small.

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Well it might be enough with a well placed shot BUT it certainly is not PLENTY for Grizz ! Much better off to have a 180 or 200 grer ! JMO :smile: RJ

2SHALLOW
09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I agree 100% with shot placement being key, but i can tell you that i will personally be upgrading to a 338rum while hunting GB bears, if you do miss at least a bigger caliber and bullet will inflict more damage you cant argue that. I
would rather have to much then not enough fire power. Again this JMO. Enjoy your hunt and the very least buy the tag!

festerstix
09-24-2012, 09:56 PM
.30-06 is too light. If your rifle can't push a bullet to the vitals from a marginal angle its too damn small. Its really easy to confuse a slight turn in the body, or a shift in the front leg, and let fly. Then you've got grief. I wouldn't even consider a 165gr. Heavy and stout as you can get. A-frame, partition...old bitteroot bonded, or bonded bear claws, or Woodleighs. Barnes are overrated hype. 200gr minimum...220 is even better. Borrow or buy a bigger gun.

rainman
09-24-2012, 10:27 PM
good advise,id like to know how many 30-06 packers have seen a mad grizzly up close........not bashing the 30-06 can kill anything in north america,but ive seen them up close and i pack the 338 with 250s now,i want a bullet,caliber that is going to bust bone if needed when im hunting moose in grizz country

NorthShoreX
09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Don't the Inuit use the 303 British to hunt Polar Bears which are the largest land carnivores on the planet?

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Don't the Inuit use the 303 British to hunt Polar Bears which are the largest land carnivores on the planet?

MAYBE ! :shock: Don't make it a GOOD idea though ! :sad: LOL RJ

.330 Dakota
09-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Yes they do, because the rifles were cheap to get, easy to get, cheap ammo, and they function well in the cold....however offer them a 458 with those attributes and I am sure they'd trade.
Just because it can be done dosnt make it smart protocol.

.330 Dakota
09-25-2012, 07:07 AM

yes those are steel balls...lol

Gateholio
09-25-2012, 07:18 AM
I watched a grizzly do a face plant after it was shot with a lowly 160gr Barnes bullet. Now I'm confused, thinking that the bullet should have bounced off...

GoatGuy
09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I watched a grizzly do a face plant after it was shot with a lowly 160gr Barnes bullet. Now I'm confused, thinking that the bullet should have bounced off...
Funny I've seen them shot with .270, 7-08, 7mm, 30-06, .300 and .338. The only shootout was with the .338. Everything else was uneventful.

Somebody should have told the bears.

forgot, I'm a np hater as well.

jhausner
09-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I guess the actual question should be, why would you not just buy some higher grain bullets? You can get up to 220 gr for a 30-06 and it is such a common rifle you can pick the bullets up anywhere. I use a .308 for pretty much everything I hunt outside of birds and small animals, and simply have different grains for different situations. Can you get a Grizzly with a 30-06 165 grain? Sure. You can get 1 with a .22 if you shoot it right in the eye. *shrug*

165 grain to 220 grain is 100 foot-pounds of force. That's a measurable difference just by using a different grain in the same gun. Most people I know that hunt Grizzly's though will use something a bit larger like a .338 or .340 Weatherby. But i know a few that have had no issue hunting Grizzly with a 30-06, 308, or even a 30-30.

Jetboat
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Some good advise on this thread. Your .30-06 will work fine but I'd be loading up 200gr premium bullets. I've taken about a dozen bull moose with my old .30-06 using 165gr Federal SPBT loads before I got into handloading. Shooting at a calm bear feeding along slowly in the open and unaware of your presence should be no issure for a .30-06 with a 165gr bullet in the hands of an experienced shooter. I wouldn't hesitate with a .270WCF and a 140gr Accubond in this instance. Now switch to an alerted bear aware of your presence with heavy bush/timber close at hand? I'd pick my .338-06 with heavy loads and would be grateful to have a steady hand partner beside me armed simularly. When grizzly is on the menu, follow the Boy Scout rule...be prepared. Now go get some 200gr ammo, a grizz tag and find a new partner to share the adventure. When you return, post up the pics of your moose and grizzly :)

REMINGTON JIM
09-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Some good advise on this thread. Your .30-06 will work fine but I'd be loading up 200gr premium bullets. I've taken about a dozen bull moose with my old .30-06 using 165gr Federal SPBT loads before I got into handloading. Shooting at a calm bear feeding along slowly in the open and unaware of your presence should be no issure for a .30-06 with a 165gr bullet in the hands of an experienced shooter. I wouldn't hesitate with a .270WCF and a 140gr Accubond in this instance. Now switch to an alerted bear aware of your presence with heavy bush/timber close at hand? I'd pick my .338-06 with heavy loads and would be grateful to have a steady hand partner beside me armed simularly. When grizzly is on the menu, follow the Boy Scout rule...be prepared. Now go get some 200gr ammo, a grizz tag and find a new partner to share the adventure. When you return, post up the pics of your moose and grizzly :)

Extremely GOOD and informative info there Jet Boat ! :smile: RJ

xtremearchery
09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
I shoot 30-06 and reload. I shoot 168 grain and they take down everything. The bullet I would try is the Burger 168 VLD Hunter. Within 200 yards and that bear will be yours.

trapperRick
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I second this

I would use nothing but 220 gr. round nose, unless you are shooting 200 yards or more.
Round nose will cut some brush & grizzleys like the thick stuff.

sfire436
09-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I have a .300 winmag with 150 gr Barnes TTSX. Would that do it?

Gateholio
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I have a .300 winmag with 150 gr Barnes TTSX. Would that do it?

A 150gr TTSX should penetrate both shoulders of a grizzly, so it should work. ;)

Mulehahn
09-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't see how there is any doubt about can a 30-06 kill a g-bear. It can and has killed many. And a premium 165 will take out the lungs no problem if shot poperly, but push it. Go by a box of 180 partitions or A-frames if you can and just use them for both moose or grizz. A 180 grain bullet going 2600-2700 fps will drop a griz. No question. And the ballistics are good enough to make a longer shot on a moose if you had to. Switching bullets or loading both can get a person in trouble. And all those guys who say I want a suped up mag in case of a charging grizz, you are awful sure of yourselves. I had a pissy sow take a disliking to me in a trail near willow river and I can honestly say that even if I had a rifle there was no way I could of hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards (the distance she was away). She left thankfully but I would much rather hunt with a rifle that will do the job if I do mine, is comfortable, I can pack all day and put exactly where I want rather then a gun I am not used to or can't shoot. If 100f/lbs or .032" makes a difference I am screwed anyway.

pappy
09-30-2012, 11:01 AM
If they shoot good out of your gun I would use the barnes 180 ttsx, they have the specs for loaded ammo on they're website. Its more than enough for moose and should handle a set of bear shoulders just fine. I have an 06 and I use it as a spare gun, my first gun is a 338WM with 210 grain ttsx. Next gun I buy is going to be a 7RM to replace the one I sold. I feel comfortable walking in the bush with any of these calibers. If you can't find the barnes then look for the partition in 180 grain. I know guys who have filled their grizz tags with federal fusion ammo in 300WM 180 grain.

steepNdeep
09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
A 30-06 is about the minimum recommended caliber for grizz by guides. A 165 TSX would do the trick, but the heavier the better & definitely premium on your bullet selection. It's all about shot placement, but bigger heavier calibers give more room for error in bad situations...

A 22 LR killed the ~world record grizz, but no one would recommend it...

Good luck.

.330 Dakota
09-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Obviously the guys commenting on the small rifles that will kill a griz, have probably never come face to face with an angry griz...
Of course the 30-06 will kill a griz, but will it STOP a griz,,,big difference. I remember a moose I shot when I was 15 years old,,hit it squarely through the lungs with a 44 mag, 240grn, rifle,,it didnt flinch (no penetration, hit a rib and stopped) , it just looked at me and started to walk away. I hit it 3 more times,,,no effect,,,then at 150 yds,,,right behind the ear,,,it diied. My point is simple,,,I felt really undergunned, and it was a sick feeling,,,I can only imagine that feeling with a charging bear. Do the animal some honor and use enough gun...and if using an 06, load the 220 or 200 grainers.

elker
09-30-2012, 09:28 PM
The OP will hunt solo. For those who has killed a grizzly with 30-06 and light grain bullets, were you hunting alone at that time or were you with a guide or other fellow hunters? Of course, you can afford to shoot a grizzly with small caliber, light bullets when you have back up beside you. HE IS GOING TO BE HUNTING SOLO!

Solo moose hunting is not a good idea, it is even worse in G bear country. To dress a moose while looking over your shoulder for a sudden grizzly, it is chilling to me.

Jagermeister
09-30-2012, 09:37 PM
The OP will hunt solo. For those who has killed a grizzly with 30-06 and light grain bullets, were you hunting alone at that time or were you with a guide or other fellow hunters? Of course, you can afford to shoot a grizzly with small caliber, light bullets when you have back up beside you. HE IS GOING TO BE HUNTING SOLO!

Solo moose hunting is not a good idea, it is even worse in G bear country.
To dress a moose while looking over your shoulder for a sudden grizzly, it is chilling to me.Bindar, chilling even with partner on the lookout, especially as night time starts to come on after a late afternoon kill.
I concur with the whole post. Solid advice.