PDA

View Full Version : Damn Dog

chinooker
09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Walkin through a cut today and the Dog got out in front of me and wouldn't come back when I hissed at him.
The road I was on went over a steep little hill and around a sharp bend.
When he got to the corner he froze in mid stride looking at something.
I caught up just enough to see a glimpse of a cow elk just as the dog took off.
All I heard was hooves on gravel running down the road around the bend.
I rounded the corner in time to see the trees moving and hear a bunch of elk stampeding through the thick bush.
To make matters worse a bull was bugling as they made the escape.:-(

Needless to say my beloved basset hound and I are not on speaking terms right now.

tinhorse
09-21-2012, 06:22 PM
That sucks. I thought you needed dogs on a leash while hunting deer, elk, or moose?

chinooker
09-21-2012, 06:31 PM
That sucks. I thought you needed dogs on a leash while hunting deer, elk, or moose?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is if you are actually using hunting dogs to pursue unglates they are supposed to be leashed.
Not your couch potatoe family pet going for a walk in the woods with you. I do wish I had a leash on him this morning though!

tinhorse
09-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry thought you were hunting. Defiantly ok to have the dog off the leash then. I just though I remembered reading somthing in the regs before about hunting with dogs as i was planning on getting one soon. Sorry for the mistake

ROY-alty33
09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Did he have to find his own way home? Dont be too hard on him though, if he didn't make a sound then they saw or more than likely smelt him. That means they smelt you to and were gone either way.
And yeah he should have been leashed!

chinooker
09-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Sorry thought you were hunting. Defiantly ok to have the dog off the leash then. I just though I remembered reading somthing in the regs before about hunting with dogs as i was planning on getting one soon. Sorry for the mistake

I was hunting, if you read the regs it states when a dog is used to hunt game it must be leashed. I was not using my dog to hunt game. He was just along with me. He is not trained to hunt anything and under normal circumstances he follows me not the other way around. To my way of thinking this is not using a dog to hunt.

Barracuda
09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Walkin through a cut today and the Dog got out in front of me and wouldn't come back when I hissed at him.
The road I was on went over a steep little hill and around a sharp bend.
When he got to the corner he froze in mid stride looking at something.
I caught up just enough to see a glimpse of a cow elk just as the dog took off.
All I heard was hooves on gravel running down the road around the bend.
I rounded the corner in time to see the trees moving and hear a bunch of elk stampeding through the thick bush.
To make matters worse a bull was bugling as they made the escape.:-(

Needless to say my beloved basset hound and I are not on speaking terms right now.

what exactly does Mid stride look like on a dog with three inch legs and is longer then it is tall ? :lol:

chinooker
09-21-2012, 07:02 PM
what exactly does Mid stride look like on a dog with three inch legs and is longer then it is tall ? :lol:

LOL it is a comical pose for sure. Bassets have to much character to stay mad at for long!:razz:

swampthing
09-22-2012, 07:30 AM
I have a young lab I have been taking with me lately. Its tough to hunt with a dog but I usually have nowhere to leave him . I loop his leash through my belt and attach him to me in case he decides to do something I dont want him to.

BromBones
09-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Definitely keep the dog leashed, and you wont have that problem again.

Lozzie
09-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Regardless if your dog is a hunting dog or not, training them not to chase deer, elk, etc. might make your hunt more productive. If you use them to run cats and bears that's a completely different thing. With the help of a training collar my dogs walk beside me off leash in the neighbourhood or the bush, even if there are animals to them to chase. I trained my one dog off chasing deer and bear(it use to take almost an hour for him to come back) and now I don't have to worry about him bolting after deer but he is still very useful in tracking them after the shot. I realize some dogs are great at sticking around but it's my opinion that if they are off leash in the woods a remote collar is essential tool.

300H&H
09-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Sounds like the dog should be given a "lead bon-bon" if ya know what I mean.

I hate it when dogs don't listen...it is almost as annoying as when my wife does not listen.

The wife should know better !!!

new hunter
09-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Took my wifes husky cross with me while road hunting once , thought it'd be a nice thing to do for an old dog in her last years .
Saw a grouse , and as I'm getting out of the truck I hear the dog whining , then she started to bark .
I didnt get my shot , the dog got a smack ( a very rare occurrence ) , and thats the last time she came out with me and a gun .
Badly behaved dogs are as frustrating badly behaved kids , and neither will come out in the field with me .
Better luck next time .