PDA

View Full Version : 7-57A Bison

The Dude
09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
My buddy got this draw, and all Blueberry Tribe stuff aside, he got a package stating that he has his choice of four ranches to stay at, with food, for $100 a night.
Has anyone done this, do they have access, and what is your preference?

Drillbit
09-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Done that.

Stayed at Helgies. Pulled in on Boxing Day.
Warmest it got was -35.
Buff were around 80 km skidoo ride from the cabin and across the river.

Lots of work. Now that I've done it I wouldn't go back. Two of us went, most guys there had a crew of 4-8 people.

It was easy to loop around the Blueberry ranch, but earlier with ATV's it looks like it would be pretty soft. On the brighter side, some guys going earlier catch the buff in close before they head way back into the valley.

northern fisher
09-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Our party stayed at the Blueberry Ranch last year in December. One morning it plus 7 the next morning minus 24. I would stay there again. I drove around the ranch one afternoon to see what it was like and yes it can be done but it will add on a extra hour to your ride in the morning. I would rather spend that time having coffee or getting a bit more sleep

ufishifish2
09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
We stayed in my camper on the side of the road at the Blueberry ranch gate during our January Bison hunt.
The guys staying at the Blueberry Ranch definately had an easier time getting the closer bison every morning, but only a couple days and those guys had headed home and we had the place almost to ourselves.
Staying at Pink Mountain (on the hwy) means for lots of extra travel time and pretty much guarantees you will be last on the trail each day. On the bright side you can look forward to a warm room when you get back and a warm shower each night. The cabins on each ranch all sound pretty cold after a long day out hunting.
There are other ranches (which I believe you are referring to) just before the Blueberry Ranch. Goatguy and One-Shot Wonder stayed at one of those ranches while I was in my camper. Sounded like the cabin they rented was far better than the ones guys were describing on the Blueberry Ranch. Get a hold of one of those guys if you need a contact number. I am sure they'd be happy to help you out.
When is the draw for Dude?? That makes a big difference for the quality of the trail going around the ranch. Having enough snow for sleds can be pretty dicey some years until Christmas.