PDA

View Full Version : 5-13, Are there G bears present in this area?

allan
09-21-2012, 09:29 AM
It looks like I might be doing a solo moose hunt. Hopefully archery in this area, during the first two weeks of Oct. Just curious if there's alot of bears, grizzly or otherwise in the area if it would be wise to sleep, hunt with a camp gun close by?
Thanks

Trophyslayer
09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes there are grizz in there and depending on where you hunting there are higher numbers

sky-gunner
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
I think it's always advisable, when alone, no matter where in the wild, to always have your weapon handy. Remember folks it's better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

Taurusguy
09-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I hunted in 5-13 and seen a few wolves pushing my Moose around. A really big black one too. I would suggest sleeping with your weapon. Didnt get a chance to kill the wolf though... too bad. From my experience .. where ever you find Moose, chances are there is Grizzly too .. Good Luck on your hunt!

Whonnock Boy
09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I think it's always advisable, when alone, no matter where in the wild, to always have your weapon handy. Remember folks it's better to have and not need, then to need and not have.
X 2........ My bang stick is always within reach when I am hunkered down for the night. Even when I am sleeping in the canopy of my truck.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes ... a few Grizz ... lots of Blackies ... and a fair number of wolves ... seen the odd Cougar in that area too ...

A predator Cull will go a long ways for the Ungulate population of that area

gecko
09-23-2012, 12:39 AM
couple of years ago we tracked a large grizz on the L rd off 100 c rd. huge bugger. i was glad i was in the truck and not the quad

E.B.
09-23-2012, 05:30 AM
what part of 5-13 are you hunting. Might be able to give you some advice.

FishandHunt
09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I hunted in 5-13 and seen a few wolves pushing my Moose around. A really big black one too. I would suggest sleeping with your weapon. Didnt get a chance to kill the wolf though... too bad. From my experience .. where ever you find Moose, chances are there is Grizzly too .. Good Luck on your hunt!

What zone? I saw the biggest black wolf in my life in that area doing the exact same thing. It was about 350 yards away on a trot with the whole pack, even from that distance it was noticeably different in size. Had my brother not been screaming "shoot it" in my ear I might have.

srupp
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
yes absolutley on the G bears

steven

allan
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm hopefully headed up to 5-13A, North West corner of the zone. Sometime between Oct 1 -15.

Jagermeister
09-25-2012, 12:13 PM
First, if you are tenting, for sure a Pack Alarm, not a bad idea to set one up if you are in a camper or trailer too.
Most of the black bears will have gone to ground about then, especially if it has been frosty and their bellies are full. Grizzly bears on the other hand will not and will be on the prowl for groceries. That last large meal before they hit the sack. I have known some people to lose a moose to a marauding grizzly in that zone.
The gunshot and the smell of blood on the air will certainly be an ultra attractant. Be vigilant all time.
A little anecdote. My brother-in-law and I were hunting that area back in the mid '90s when there was still a GOS for moose. This particular morning, we drove the Suzi into a large cut-block when he decided he needed a download. The only secluded spot was a massive up-rooted spruce root which he thought would be a good spot to drop it.
Whilst he was doing the job, I could see foot imprints in the fresh snow on the road about a 100 yards up the road. I was going to get out and saunter up the road to investigate when he returned so I told him to get in as we had to go that way to turn around. That gave us the opportunity to check the tracks out. Yup, they were grzzly alright, might large ones at that.
We decided to go back around the mountain to the other side and hunt there, not taking into consideration that the tracks were headed in that general direction. As whose's to say that it was bee-lining that direction anyway?
So we hunt the other side. About mid-afternoon, we see a large cow and a good sized calf. We think that there may be a bull hanging about, so we split, one going up hill to the east (me) and one to the west. We are in an old cut-block that has regrowth spruce standing about 10' to 15' tall. Visisbility varies from a few feet to about 30' or 40' feet and tall timber is at the crest of the hill about 1000 yards away.
I am slowly making my way up the hill, glancing about checking for a patch of moose. About 15 minutes into the sortie, I hear this God-awful scream. I imagine it sounds like a man who is in mortal agony. It lasts about 15 or so seconds and then all is quiet. My heart is pumping and adrenaline is flowing like whiskey. The wail had come from the area where I expected the brother-in-law to be. I'm thinking, "There will be no saving him" and I am not keen on rushing to his rescue on a impulse because surely, anyone wailing like that is a goner. I back track to the Suzi, trying to decide my next course of action, "Should I proceed alone or should I go for help?" There are some other hunters about 2 miles away on the other mountain, I can see them in the distance. I make up my mind that I will go get them to assist me in locating the brother-in-law who I am sure is down. Just then he makes his appearance. He askes me if I heard the wailing to which I reply that I thought it was he who was doing the wailing and I was just about set to go get the other hunters to locate his remains. He say that the same thoughts entered his mind and that it was me.
So, what made the wailing? Near as we could determine, we think that we flushed the cow and calf right into the grizzly's "arms" and he had ambushed the calf. We did not have the panache to find out if this were true. Grizzlies don't take kindly to someone interrupting their meals.

Drillbit
09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Not sure of the specifics, but one of the biggest Grizzly's in BC was shot near the bottom of Wreckwagon Hill on the Nazko river years ago.

moosinaround
09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I thought grizzly bears were endangered and or extinct??? Am I being misinformed? I don't worry about them because of this info? $hit, I am gunnin up a little bit more now!!! Moosinshakininhisbootsnow!!

Taurusguy
09-25-2012, 04:41 PM
What zone? I saw the biggest black wolf in my life in that area doing the exact same thing. It was about 350 yards away on a trot with the whole pack, even from that distance it was noticeably different in size. Had my brother not been screaming "shoot it" in my ear I might have.

it was off the 2000 rd/Tibbles .. i believe it was 5-13b. Was 2 years ago .. so my memory is a bit fuzzy on it exactly. I would have to check my maps(currently dont have them) to be sure.

allan
09-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Who actually uses pack alarms anyways? I only hear of them mentioned on this site.
And besides why would I want to go through the extra cost and work of using one anyways?
I want to be a sneaky bow hunter on this trip, not a guy hunkered down behind live wires with a tin foil hat, using a loaded firearm for a pillow!
If it's my time, it's my time. And if I make it out it would make for a good story to post!

hunter1993ap
09-25-2012, 05:22 PM
i respect grizzly bears but i am not scared of bears. you have to watch and dont be stupid, but they are more than likely will take off when they see you.

scoutlt1
09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I am not understanding....(in any accent you choose)
You are going on a solo archery hunt in the wonderful wilds of our province.
You have the option to pack a "camp gun". Ahhh....forget it....this guy posted on HBC that there's no reason to bring it.
You're going to spend forever packing everything anyways, why not throw the gun and some ammo in with your gear??
You want to be woken up at 3:33 in the morning by some noise (which is probably a squirrel anyways but...) and think...."damn, should have brought the defender!!"?
Bring it, sleep with it, and who gives a rat's butt if there's grizzlies in the area...(they are there btw, unless you are a fan of Suzi, in which case there are only 3 left in the whole province)....and at least you have something to "deal with it". (even if it is a squirrel :-) )

again....just my $0.02....

Jagermeister
09-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Who actually uses pack alarms anyways? I only hear of them mentioned on this site.
And besides why would I want to go through the extra cost and work of using one anyways?
I want to be a sneaky bow hunter on this trip, not a guy hunkered down behind live wires with a tin foil hat, using a loaded firearm for a pillow!
If it's my time, it's my time. And if I make it out it would make for a good story to post!Dude, the pack alarm is for when you are sleeping. It gives you advanced warning that your perimeter is being entered and has nothing to do with being a "sneaky bow hunter". The tinfoil hat does not factor in unless that is to protect your melon from a bite that the grizz is going to deliver to it.
That story I told? Well that was just up to the west of Tibbles Lake.

grouse please
09-25-2012, 09:40 PM
I know that the sweet creek area is known grizzly area but it's about an 1- 1.5 hours past Nazko on the gravel road.

allan
09-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Dude, the pack alarm is for when you are sleeping. It gives you advanced warning that your perimeter is being entered and has nothing to do with being a "sneaky bow hunter". The tinfoil hat does not factor in unless that is to protect your melon from a bite that the grizz is going to deliver to it.
That story I told? Well that was just up to the west of Tibbles Lake.
Yes, but have you used a pack alarm and has it helped you? I would love to have every cool gadget and tool stuffed in my bag but can't afford too. I need to sort out whats good and whats bad. I don't hunt enought like this in order to justifiy spending alot of money of the cool, usefull stuff bc i work too much and have a family to look after.
just sayin....

allan
09-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I can't seem to find sweet creek, (1.5hrs past Nasko,I think this is close to the area i'm planning on hunting), or tibbles lake on my map or google earth. Any chance that you can give me some directions or indications where that is. I would just like to know if these Known bear areas are close to where I'm headed.
Thanks

grouse please
09-26-2012, 05:25 PM
batnuni lake is marker 145 and sweet creek would be around 165, its foot path only a 20 minute walk down to lake (easy walk) not many people know it unless you hunted it for years and on your way up the road its on your right hand side. If your crazy enough bring a small canoe with you and cross the creek to the meadow best hunting but definite griz country also ask up there if anyone knows where it is to help you out better, the true old timers know it.

fuzzybiscuit
09-26-2012, 05:51 PM
No G-Bears in 5-13.

Don't bother with a gun. It takes up too much space in camp and the extra weight will slow your vehicle down.

Forget the pack alarm. It may just end up ruining a good night's sleep.

Don't worry about writing a story if things go bad. Someone else will be doing that for you. Probably a CO, RCMP or Coroner.

Have fun!! I can't wait for your story either way!!:smile: