PDA

View Full Version : Brambles and Rattler 2012 Elk Pursuit

Brambles
09-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Well after our apline mule deer trip Rattler and I decide to go for ELK, we spent a couple days checking out different area's hoping to find some good sign and a bull who wanted to chat.

On day 3 we found him and boy did he want to chat. He had a nice growly tone and he wasn't afraid to talk from the comfort of his heavy timber stand.

We had this bull talking up a storm but there was NO way he would come out of the timber and as we had determined earlier that Rattler was gonna be the shooter on this bull he went into the timber to try and sneak in on him while I stayed out and kept him talking.

Steeleco
09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
I so liked the other story better LOL Now where are those pics??? WELLLLLL

harbinger
09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
ahhhhhh, so much for the honey-do list, hello coffee!

Brambles
09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
As I kept the bull talking I could only imagine what was going on, how close was he? Was he a 6'er? He's gotta be getting close by now. Fully expecting to hear a gunshot at any moment, I waited......and waited...and kept the bull talking. Then the bull gets out of his bed and starts zig zagging across the hillside......Back and forth....back and forth. I'm thinking this bull's gotta give Rattler a shot sooner or later.

Getting desparate Rattler starts cow calling and the bull STILL won't come in. After 4.5 hours of dogging and talking to this bull the sun was starting to get too high in the sky and Rattler backs out before the changing rising wind currents could carry his scent to the bull and blow him out of the country.

We decide to leave the bull and not go back for an evening hunt, the inversion would occur too late in the evening to allow a hunt.

Brambles
09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I so liked the other story better LOL Now where are those pics??? WELLLLLL

sorry man, I gotta type all this crap out.....cut and paste from word no worky..

coach
09-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Great start! Keep it coming..

Ourea
09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Right on Brams!

Brambles
09-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Day 2

In the morning we get there and set up, we start sweet talking, and more sweet talking..................NOTHING. We notice some tracks into the area over ours and hope that someone didn't come in and try an evening hunt on this bull and blow him out of the country.

I go away to check some other area's for responsive bulls and Rattler does the same. A couple hours later I head back to where the bull was and start calling again.......................Wham he calls back...................then WHAM......another bull calls back........SWEET..two bulls calling.......Rock ON. I track down Rattler and we make a plan. This time we both go into the timber and make our way to where we figure we would be a couple hundred yards from him.

We set up and call.....wait about 15 minutes and ......NOTHING.

We advance a little further, set up and call..............NOTHING

On the third setup we reposition again. Rattler was downhill and ahead of me by 40-50 yards so when the bull circles below me to catch my wind he would expose himself to Rattler.

I let out a couple cow calls with the widowmaker and he responds but sounds quite far away, I wait a couple more minutes and let out a couple more cow calls. He responds again and is closer....great he's coming in and sounds like our growly bull.

A couple more minutes pass and I cow call again and this time I suffle my feet and kick the duff. WHAM......He bugles and he's RIGHT there....maybe 50-75 yards in front of Rattler.

I can hear him crashing and running in, he's starting to circle below me to catch my wind.....This is working out PERFECT.....waiting for a shot ANY moment.........

The bull stops....and runs straight up hill.. Crosses 15 yards in front of Rattler and he counts 6 but has NO shot.....Ohhhhhhh. He see's his eye and maybe his ear in the thick bush but decides not to risk it.

coach
09-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Well after our apline mule deer trip..

What did I miss? Where's the story and pictures?

lucky_magic_stick
09-21-2012, 09:45 AM
My hearts already pounding, definitely got me hook line and sinker on this thread! Thank God I got Friday's off of school, now I can spend it getting an awesome play by play!

Brambles
09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
The bull is now circling above Rattler and headed straight for me.

I see the brush moving 40 yards ahead and slightly above me, then the rack appears straight on as he pushes through the alder. I see from this point that there is NO way that Rattler is gonna be able to get a shot, WAY too much cabbage between him and the bull now. Safety OFF..........I count 1, 2, 3, 4......and he walks in behind some bushes. He holds up for about 20 seconds but it seems like hours.

He walks and crosses a small shooting lane, as he turns broadside I see #5, and #6.....Its GO time. Shooting lane too small and have NO shot, I project his course and pick a different shooting lane. He walks out directly above me and at 16 yards looks straight at me...........I put the crosshairs on his throat........BANG.....he dropped like a bag of hammers. BULL DOWN.........but momma didn't raise no fool.....I walked up to him and put another in the neck to ensure he was gonna stay down. Had one get up on me after a neck shot and it aint gonna happen again.

Now the work starts......and for nearly 10 hours we dealt with the bull until we had him back to the truck, stiff, sore and the Feet "A" burning..........Good times good times!!! Probably one of the worst packs out expecially the last 150 yards.....A potpourri of Rhodo, devils club, alder and a million different forms of vegitation that make footing on steep terrain trecherous with heavy packs.

We were both saying if we get through this day without someone getting hurt it was a good day.

He appears to be an older bull, missing 3 front teeth, the remainder of the fronts looked decent, molar's were pretty much flat. We were plesantly suprised when we scored him, 49" outside spread, 45" inside spread, front end was 19+'s and 20's and 9's and 10's for his first mass measurment which all made up for his short back end. He ended up grossing 321 5/8

I can place my 300" bull from a few years ago inside this guys rack and have 6"-7" clearance on BOTH sides, it is VERY clear this is a MUCH more mature bull..

Thanks for the wait....

Steeleco
09-21-2012, 09:58 AM
So far so good, but this is starting to look like the work of Bigbore LOL Still need a piccy or two!!!

Brambles
09-21-2012, 10:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/P9190162_zps9792236b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/P9190152_zps5e1e039d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/P9190774_zpsd4d3de94.jpg

Brambles
09-21-2012, 10:04 AM
The last picture I had to take the horns off and make a third trip......we were starting the last 150 yards ahead and NO way to get down with them slung like this. Hind quarter and head was HEAVY

09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Nice! Now that's a solid bull! Thanks for sharing your story and pics. You guys are elk killing machines!

mark
09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Nice work buddy, nice bull! Ive had some very similar stories myself in the last few days, but just couldnt get the shot. Ive had lots of action despite the heat wave....

coach
09-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Great bull! Awesome story. Congratulations.

The Dude
09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Now tht's a piggy! Great bull and story! Thx *sigh*

calvin L
09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Good for you two . I hope to have the same porblem this year . :smile: . That looks like a wide set to pack out through the cabage .I always look forward to the hearing the results of your time in the bush . Now about this alpine hunt ?????

calvin L

MB_Boy
09-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Awesome work guys.....and thanks Brambles for takin' us along!!

J_T
09-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Yep good score Brambles. I like how you approach your elk. While we think we're in control its the elk who decide when. Just have to be there 'when'.

Based on the distance have you thought about hunting with a bow?

d6dan
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Super bull Brambles!.:smile: Great story and pics. Man you and Rattler know how to get'er done. Congrats.

Rackmastr
09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Thats a great old heavy bull with some cool character....congrats! Thanks for letting us tag along with ya!

35 Whelen
09-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Congratulations Jeff and Ken.......nothing more satisfying that boot leather and sweat to really make the memories. Way to go, fantastic bull.

lovemywinchester
09-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Very nice! One day I will have to try for an elk. Sounds like a very exciting hunt..

Stone Sheep Steve
09-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Congrats Gents!!!
After last year's gimme double, I'm glad you had to work for this big fella!!!

SSS

Darksith
09-21-2012, 11:46 AM
thats awesome...congrats

Elkaholic
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Congrats on the great bull. Nice old majestic looking elk. Thanks for sharing the story!

1 shot 1 kill
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
great read guys...way to have patience, and for that your rewarded with an incredible bull! congrats

Whonnock Boy
09-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Way to get'r done guys. Nice looking bull. Gives us guys some more encouragement/incentive to get out there and get it done ourselves. Not like we need it.:-P

pnbrock
09-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Wow I'm a little jeliuos. Great job you two.

kennyj
09-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Nice heavy old bull! Thanks for sharing your story.
kenny

Rattler
09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was an exciting hunt - too much fun listening to those buggers bugle at close range. It was a good reminder at just how large these bulls are and how much work is involved packing them out. We had to piggy back the meat three times before we got it back to the truck:shock:.

wsm
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
grats on the bull . very nice . your story format is awful. how dare you keep me sitting on the edge of my seat . darn computer doesn't load pages fast enough . .:razz:

mcrae
09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Good job guys thats a nice bull for sure!

Brambles
09-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Good for you two . I hope to have the same porblem this year . :smile: . That looks like a wide set to pack out through the cabage .I always look forward to the hearing the results of your time in the bush . Now about this alpine hunt ?????

calvin L

What did I miss? Where's the story and pictures?

Not much of a thriller, 5 nights on the mountain, it was a good trip, seen lots of deer, lots of grizz. Never seen any real big bucks so we came out light.

yota
09-21-2012, 01:04 PM
thats one girthy looking bull congrats guys.

tomahawk
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Nice bull!!

Brambles
09-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Yep good score Brambles. I like how you approach your elk. While we think we're in control its the elk who decide when. Just have to be there 'when'.

Based on the distance have you thought about hunting with a bow?

I take my bow during archery season but i'm more about the animal itself than how its taken. I also have to think of kids and a wife to feed, not to mention Rattlers families share. Rifle is just a more sure thing! One day I'll have the opportunity to take one with a bow, but I can't purposly handicap myself.

Darksith
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
so just a question for ya about your hunt.

What is your technique to locating a bull? Are you walking or sitting? how often do you bugle? I am trying to learn how to hunt elk with no "mentor" to learn from and Im just curious on peoples techniques. Granted it is hot as a .... up here right now, and not being able to get out in the am is defanetley hurting my chances. But I have also heard that bulls are more vocal before dark than in the am. Any truth to that? My technique right now is to go into an area, walk a short distance (I have about 1h of daylight to hunt a night only) sit down and be quiet for a bit then let out a bugle. Haven't seen or heard an elk yet.

bucket
09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Look at that rack!!!

Kitimat Killer
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
What a great story and awesome bull congrats

KK

Brambles
09-21-2012, 05:33 PM
so just a question for ya about your hunt.

What is your technique to locating a bull? Are you walking or sitting? how often do you bugle? I am trying to learn how to hunt elk with no "mentor" to learn from and Im just curious on peoples techniques. Granted it is hot as a .... up here right now, and not being able to get out in the am is defanetley hurting my chances. But I have also heard that bulls are more vocal before dark than in the am. Any truth to that? My technique right now is to go into an area, walk a short distance (I have about 1h of daylight to hunt a night only) sit down and be quiet for a bit then let out a bugle. Haven't seen or heard an elk yet.

Finding the proper habitat is the most important, Rattler and I are constantly going through area's taking note of which ones look "Elky". Once you find a few area's that look elky you just need to keep checking them until you find one that has activity and/or a responsive bull.

ufishifish2
09-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Good job again this year guys. Nice to keep the rest of us dreaming.....................
I'll meet you at your dads place for an elk roast dinner this winter Ken. ;)

Hillbros_96
09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Good job guys.

ELK Seeker
09-21-2012, 10:11 PM
My hearts a racing nice bull!

Pioneerman
09-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Excellent story and bull, thanks for sharing. I was expecting to see some G bear action in there too :-)

Spy
09-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Now tht's a piggy! Great bull and story! Thx *sigh*
X2 that's exactly how I feal ! LOL
Well done again,awesome bull !

Bc Deer Hunter
09-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Great bull!! Job welll done fellas. Hope i can connect with a beast like that next week!! :)

HuntNmemories
09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
way to go guys, beautiful bull and an awesome rack

WKCotts
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
nice work boys. good to see locals taking the bulls.

kootenayelkslayer
10-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Must have missed this thread the first time around. Great bull guys, you two make a pretty successful duo! Sounds like you had to work for that one. Wish I could be down there hunting elk right now!

yama49
10-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Awesome elk, great story.. thx for taking us along..

Elkhound
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
holy crap what a bull......congrats guys you deserve it

moose2
10-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Great looking elk guys congratulations.
Mike