PDA

View Full Version : Cougar hide is back, time to get it mounted

bc_buckshot
09-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Just got a call from my taxidermy and said he got back my cougar from the tannery. We are gonna sit down this weekend and discuss mount forms. I have some in mind but don't know if the size will work.Harder desicion is what the wife is gonna think. I was planning a floor mount on a rock or tree limb coming down looking with with one paw showing and I have a deer skull with antlers to put it with. Any ideas

Mr. Dean
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I think the skull would look outta place.
Now if it were hide wrapped, that would look UberKewl. :shock:

IMO a naked scull would need "goring up" in order to work properly (bloody,meaty, fugly).
If you can get away with it in your home, KUDOS'!!!

As for pose; Laying down, guarding the kill but NOT on the attack of something moving in on him.
Peaceful but alert, maybe looking up to engage the viewer, would be my choice.

That would be awesome

Mr. Dean
09-21-2012, 12:02 AM
This is mine and when you're sitting in my living room, is how it is looking down at ya from the far side of the room (it's up about 10' high).

Everyone says that it's more than a little un-nerving, not being able to predict it's next move as they sit there - I believe the mount creates a variety of
dynamics, leaving the viewer with a multiple of 'stories' to think about afterwords.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1024_2_Mr_Dean_web.jpg

Where as this guy has only one story to tell...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC2916_Mr_Dean_web.jpg

It's personal opinion and neither is wrong, and obviously,,,,,,, that's mine! :lol:
Let me know what you go with, I'm curious.

Cheers.

bc_buckshot
09-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I hear you Mr Dean. Reason why I wanted to add the skull is because about 10 kms away from where I got the cougar is where I found this huge 4x5 buck that got killed by either a cat or old age. But looks like squirrels or other critter ate away some antlers and now it's a 3x4. I took it home talked to a C.O and got permission to keep it because I called and found it. The skull is in tack and all dried up.there is some old dry flesh and hair around the antlers but no bugs just looks like its it's been died for a long time. So I want to add that skull with the cat seeing how it has more rights to have it than me being those 2 animals were in the same area and good chance that cat might of killed that deer so to speak.But what I have learned was cougars don't spend along time with a kill they eat the good stuff and leave. They like fresh meat not old rotting stuff. So what I was thinking having the cougar coming down looking and guarding the kill with a alert face. I have a picture to show but don't know how to add on here.
I'm not a big fan of the laying on the tree but have to say the one you have there looks sharpe. My wife said se would be okay with that. I would like a pose to show off the whole cat if I'm spending a good chunk of change. But if I do that wall laying pose how did you have it attach on the wall. How would I support the weight. And send me your email and I can show you the pics I like and maybe you can help me decide.

12 Gauge Slugger
09-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Here's a tip, bring your wife along when you're picking the pose. Everyone has to look at it and I've done one too many remounts because the wife didn't like it. (Seriously, it makes the wife sound like a cow but in reality you're both paying for it so find something you both like. I've never found a single person that didn't find taxidermy catalog's fascinating. Have fun and be creative. If you like a snow scene consider getting a few icicles added. Using the deer skull is a great idea. Taxidermists like being challenged. They're artists too. :) If you want more reference photos other then what just how the forms come, check out taxidermy.net . It's an amazing resource.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm a fan of the cat sneaking downhill with a slight curve making a stalk with the mouth hanging slighty open(almost a pant).
Sorry, don't ave any pics to offer but have seen this type of pose quite a bit.

This yr I'm packing a cougar tag when I'm sitting in my treestand with bow in hand..unlike last yr:-(.

SSS

Mr. Dean
09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I wasn't trying to change your mind on how to do your mount with the pic of mine, I posted it for a comparison of expressions...

I have seen footage of a cougar visiting a kill over several days but you are correct, they will only stay on it for as long it isn't spoiled. But they do cover it up in debris like a bear would; maybe that antler could be used, poking out a pile of twigs/leaves (???), that way keeping the mount, 'correct'.

Another to remember; Whether on the floor or wall, the mount will be designed to view from a certain direction. And unless a floor mount is positioned in the middle of your living room, people wont be really getting to see the backside of it. Full bodies take up vast real estate and need to be shoved somewhat outta the way, somehow.

That mount of mine measures the better part of 7 feet, end ---->end. If I had standard ceilings, the space under it would be TOTALLY useless for any seating (couch, chair, etc.). Think HARD on where you want yours placed!

Oh, mine is easily mounted on the wall via 2 heavy lag bolts twisted into studs; the mount simply rests on them like a coat on a hook - No big deal.

PM sent.

Mr. Dean
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Kinda what I mean about a partially concealed antler:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC3023_Mr_Dean_web.jpg

Mr. Dean
09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Got your email.

And I do like that last pose outta them choices. My only nit is that its designed to be viewed head on and from that angle you lose the scope of the rest of the cat. IMO a 1/2 mount would suffice with that kind of set up..... And you just don't do that w/ cats (my rule). Maybe the form could be altered to lend a profile view (?),,, talk w/ the taxi.

Again, I would personally forget about using the skull.

PS. my wall hanger comes out ~ 24/26 inches from the wall and the backside can be viewed also....

Mr. Dean
09-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Just had a brain fart.

Cats are curious and me thinks that if you had him investigating the scull/rack, instead of guarding,,,, it just might work. :wink:
The expressing would play HUGE in this. Maybe a paw tentatively reaching out to it, eyes locked on to it, perhaps taking a sniff of it.....

As if it were fluffy playing with a mouse. :shock: :lol:

bc_buckshot
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Know what dean you just gave me an idea. I like that bear pose and have just one 3x3 antler shed I could get him to have a paw on. So many different poses it's hard to figure dhats best suited. But your right 12 gauge I'm going to bring the wife and get her ASSistances... Happy wife happy life and more hunting days

Mr. Dean
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Here's a tip, bring your wife along when you're picking the pose.

She's right.
I know of mounts that once brought home, got the boot from the Mrs's. and sold off just to "Keep Peace" in da household. :sad: