PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Moose

JIL_24/7
09-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Guys,
I used the "Search" function, but I wasn't able to satisfy my question. The BC Hunting Regs seem a bit confusing regarding quartering and transporting a moose. It appears that most on this site say you need the head, the twig and berries and a patch of fur on at least one quarter, but when I read the regs it seems to me that they say you have to take the head "OR" the twig and berries and a patch of fur. What is the right answer? If I quarter the moose I am going to shoot next week :) and take the head with me am I cool? That's how I read the regs, but maybe I am being thrown off by the big "OR". Please be kind boys. I recognize to some of you this seems like hunting 101, but I always go back to the regs and this one doesn't seem that clear to me why I would need more than the head. Still learning here. Thanks.

Tron
09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
If you have a bull draw one or the other is fine ( the rack or nuts). If you are counting points to be legal you will need the rack. If it's immature only you need the rack, if it's a calf you need the lower jaw. A patch of fir left one one quarter should be fine as well as stated above. Not sure about he regs for a cow moose draw. Hope this helps

quadrakid
09-21-2012, 05:37 AM
if you cut the head off your critter,leave the family junk attatched to a quarter.

The Dude
09-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah, be safe, and leave the winkle on the bull. LOL

XPEIer
09-21-2012, 06:35 AM
we were stopped a few years back and were also told to leave a section of fur on each quarter. Which can be a bit of a pain, but we do it anyways.

Pioneerman
09-21-2012, 06:46 AM
You need proof pf sex so if you leave the proof on the hind quarters that should be the fur you need also. We once skinned everything out wrapped up nice and kept the heads. We were stopped in a roadblock and pretty much ran through everything because we did not leave head attached to body. CO told us it could be a head from any animal used a few times. One co was scrapping fat from the pelvic bone and rubbing it between his fingers. I asked him what he was doing and he said you can tell the difference between a bull and cow from the fat. I figured he was trying to make us nervous and told him well I am no expert, but I figured you could tell from pelvic bone structure cause a bull is no designed to push a calf through that area so should be different. Anyway they let us go, and he said they were satisfied they were bulls, but also because they saw we had all our garbage in bags still in the trailer, knowing we did not dump them anywhere in the woods. Needless to say we leave attached what we need to now lol

russm86
09-21-2012, 07:08 AM
I am sure it is or was at one time worded in the regs that you must leave a scrap of hair, of a certain minimum size, on each quarter and COs have never complained when I have gotten checked. We usually just leave a bit on the tip of the leg on each quarter.

steel_ram
09-21-2012, 07:09 AM
we were stopped a few years back and were also told to leave a section of fur on each quarter. Which can be a bit of a pain, but we do it anyways.

They don't want you mix and matching quarters.

sdurango41
09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
We always leave a piece of hair on each qaurter and the twig and berries on the hind. We wrap all qaurters with cheese cloth and keep the part with the hair outside of the cheese cloth. We take only the rack with us. We also take out a tooth or two to send in. A little bit if dentistry with a bone saw always brings a few comments as we have two dentist in the group.

bighornbob
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
The CO's are only interpreting the law as they think it is. The regs say the antlers or sex parts must be attached to one part of the carcass. Since there is no definition of carcass (size or anything like that), any part of the animal is part of the carcass. So technically the whole head is part of the carcass and the antlers are attached to said head, there by as the regs read taking only the head out is enough. This is for only the sex of the animal, hide must still be attached to each quater.

If you only had the skull cap with anters, I would say you are pushing your luck, but if you are bringing out the whole head with antlers that should be fine.

BHB

Tenacious Billy
09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Make it easy on yourself, leave the junk on and you're good to go......

09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Bring ssome bread bags and duct tape. You can bread bag the skin on the Quarters and duct tape it so the hair stays in place and doesnt get all over your meat.