PDA

View Full Version : Moose and Elk hunting in Prince George

Hunter22
09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Well gents I got it. My first ever moose LEH cow and calf tag. Really excited becuase I am going into the field with a tag...instead of just looking for a fork spike. Any advice on the 7-07 area. Possiblly a place to camp and an ideal area I should focus on. it will be my first time in the area.

I know I might be asking alot....to give up some of you intel secrets...but you'll be helping me get my first BC Moose.:razz:

I post pics when we get back. Thanks.

ianwuzhere
09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
good area- you should be able to find a cow or a calf no prob. grizzly lake has decent fishing if you were to camp at a lake. There are quite a few lakes in the area and all are situated in a pretty good area..
good luck!

Redneckpg
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I got lucky and dropped a 2 point in 7-7 last Sunday. There was alot of sign down the coal mine road. With this hot weather they are moving at night, so gotta hunt hard at first light. Watch for bears, my buddy got chased out by a big silvertip last night by the Willow River. Also you say you got a cow AND calf tag.....its either cow or calf, not both. If you are huntin alone or dont have a buddy with a tag during open calf season, always take the calf... calf wont survive without mom.

moosinaround
09-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I got lucky and dropped a 2 point in 7-7 last Sunday. There was alot of sign down the coal mine road. With this hot weather they are moving at night, so gotta hunt hard at first light. Watch for bears, my buddy got chased out by a big silvertip last night by the Willow River. Also you say you got a cow AND calf tag.....its either cow or calf, not both. If you are huntin alone or dont have a buddy with a tag during open calf season, always take the calf... calf wont survive without mom.
You are "requested" to take the calf, not "required" Calf should be weaned and able to fend for it's self by now, calf is tasty meat though, but a cow is lots of meat. You have to make the decision that is ethical to you! Moosin

Redneckpg
09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Its absolutely your choice, but a calf has no chance up there, way to many grizz and wolf. Its best to hunt pairs when u have a cow tag, then you drop cow and calf will stay there and your buddy drops it.

moosecaller
09-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Its absolutely your choice, but a calf has no chance up there, way to many grizz and wolf. Its best to hunt pairs when u have a cow tag, then you drop cow and calf will stay there and your buddy drops it.

Calf will wander away very quickly after mom is shot will not hang around like a cow, the cow will stand over top of the calf when it is shot if you want both take the calf first and the cow will stay right there and sometime will charge if you get too close and will need to be run off, the calf not so it will take off. Also cows that are wet(nursing) may have lots of meat but are very tough in my experience, calf may not have as much meat but if this is your first moose and you are going to take a wet cow be prepared to have a tough chew.

Hunter22
09-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Guys thanks for the advice. This is my first time in the area and so any advice is appreciated.

Any thoughts on drifting the Bowron river. canoe? aluminum boat?

are there Elk in the area?

moosinaround
09-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Guys thanks for the advice. This is my first time in the area and so any advice is appreciated.

yup elk along the Bowron, open till the 9th oct, 6 point antler on 1 side. Not sure I would drift the river unless you know it or are experienced. A few places are not for the rookie canoeist! Should be able to get a cow or calf though, good moose pop. in the east! Thick country now though, funny, it doesn;t seem to bother the moose though, just the hunter??!!! Good hunting to you. Moosin

lip_ripper00
09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=moosecaller;1205719]Calf will wander away very quickly after mom is shot will not hang around like a cow,

Calf will ALWAYS come back, may take a day or two but will always come back!

junkyard_g
09-26-2012, 10:12 PM
tons of camping spots in 7-7. just get a rec map a choose one. moose are pretty evenly distributed throughout. majority of the fresh logging is in the west side of the mu. been logging off and on on the willow-north rd, willow-coalmine, willow-cale fsr's for several years now. Common theme though has been moose living in our cutblocks all winter not paying any mind to us and then seeing next to nothing all summer and fall. They actual lots of moose out there its just a heavily pressured area and there aren't too many dummies left :-) a few decent pockets of deer around there too, seen a few whiteys out that way the last few years and especially close to hwy16.

moosinaround
09-27-2012, 04:15 AM
tons of camping spots in 7-7. just get a rec map a choose one. moose are pretty evenly distributed throughout. majority of the fresh logging is in the west side of the mu. been logging off and on on the willow-north rd, willow-coalmine, willow-cale fsr's for several years now. Common theme though has been moose living in our cutblocks all winter not paying any mind to us and then seeing next to nothing all summer and fall. They actual lots of moose out there its just a heavily pressured area and there aren't too many dummies left :-) a few decent pockets of deer around there too, seen a few whiteys out that way the last few years and especially close to hwy16.
X2, and take an elk tag if it is still open!!!!

nap
09-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Don't try the float thing down the Bowron. Check the bowron at the bridge on highway 16. You will see wht I mean. Concentrate on the draw you have but by all means have an elk tag in your pocket. Whens your trip?? Lots of Hbcers willing to give a helping hand if you need.
nap

emerson
10-09-2013, 10:02 AM
I know old thread..... Been on the Bowron this fall; I have
18' aluminum o/b jet. I find it skinny and shallow with
big log jams in some of the deep corners. No tunnel
or UHMW; I just touched a gravel bar once last time up
but not a lot of space/time for decisions. Maybe just
a nervous nelly novice here though.... No animals
either.

Taylor69
10-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Yup, calf will stay in the area after mom is shot. It's the harder way. Took us 3 days once to get the calf after we shot the cow, and I still thinks we were lucky to get it. That hunt we didn't see the calf until after the cow was down. like it was said earlier, have buddy take the calf, then you take the cow. She may stand there or she may run. She will always show herself to you again.

buddy and I were in 7-24 with 2 cow tags. We are on a road beside a big cut and we see two cows, a big cow and last years calf. I shoot last years calf, the cow runs off before buddy could get a shot.
we walked over to the cow, take a pic or two then tried to figure out how to get a bike in to get her out. We walked around the cut to find a good way out. We walked around for 45 minutes, walked back to the truck started backing up to turn around and looked back in the cut and there was the cow about 20 feet from the cow we shot. Buddy jumps out and makes a good shot.
she didn't want to leave her offspring! And it was LAST years calf!
stonger bond when it's this years calf.
The cow will not leave her calf, be patient if she runs off.