PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek success!Long Story!

DropTines
11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
We left Princeton at about 9:15 am and arrived in Green wood at about noon, we unloaded our gear and threw on our camo gear and off we went. We were told that the Windfall road was good so we followed that then went into Williamson, went for a walk and seen plenty of tracks, no deer on Monday!
Tuesday morning we get up at 5:15 am and head into a spot where this hunting partner has pulled several deer out of in previous years, we walk along the steep hillside having our buddy go down off the quad trail to the base on the hill. My dad and I go and sit down on the side hill, my dad sat about 50 yards above me and not 5 minutes after sitting down we hear, BANG BANG BANG BANG, our partner below must have missed all the shots as none had the whomp sound at the end. I decide I'll get up and walk up to my dad to see if we are going to go see what happened, I get up and below me about 125 yards in a thicket of timber, up goes the tail and a nice 4 or 3 point bucks motors away at good speed no chance of a shot. My dad realizes the deer hadnt ran that far up on the other side of the draw so he tells me he will try and spook the buck back down, he does the walk with no luck, and I signal that I would venture higher onto the hill and come down and meet him. I do so and all I see is the sign of the bucks tracks climbing to the top. I meet my dad half way to the bottom and determined that he go about 500 yards across the hill to where he had shot a buck a couple years before. I am just about atthe bottom of the hill when I spot a doe making its way towards me, I drop to a knee and bring up the scope to determine it isnt a little buck. Flag up, her and her buck that wasnt visible at the time run off the flat to a bench below, I know the area quite well and come to an understanding that this is where our partner had been shooting. I am making my way through the middle of the flat when the doe walks back up onto the flat to check things out, Im standing there, in the wide open dead to rights pretending to be a tree, surprisingly the doe was fooled and carried on! I hear the buck grunting his way down the quad trail leading to where my dad is situated. This is all working out perfectly as I had planned with my dad that I would meet our partner who had shot four times, he said he walked up on the buck getting some action from this doe and that he was shooting through some brush. He had shot four times and the buck still not spooked stood on the flat so he snuck off back to the truck to get some more shells. When he came back I had allready spooked the buck off of the flat and when he came back down he spooked the buck off pace to where my dad was situated. I decide I'll sit on the flat and our partner will walk around the lower bench trying to spook something up. 15 Minutes later we hear a shot, from my dads area. He calls for us to come and help him gut and drag because he had broken his arm about 2 months earlier and had just shot his gun for the first time since. He had taken a nice 4x4 above the brow tines and we asked if the buck had wandered by from our area, which it did not as this buck came from the other way. We meet our other party of hunters and sit at where we had parked at first light, while sitting there I spot a doe walking by about 50 yards away. Me and my dad go back to the flat and sit as our partner that had missed tried to scare anything off the sidehill down to us. No deer were scared to us but he had seen plenty deer at the top making there way to a big draw and said I should walk up high and come across a ridge I had hunted numerous times the years before, I did as he suggested and jumped 11 deer really early and 6 does on the top, scaring them back in the direction they had just came from, I carried on seeing around 25 does and one spike buck which I decided to let go. I seen 2 Muley does with the whiteys (kinda weird). Walk back to the truck and head back to this one ridge taht my dad wanted to walk and get me a buck so we walked it withno luck, we proceed to the bottom and sit down, he decides he will just lay back seeing as how he had a sore arm. I was watching a draw below me when he whispers. "Bud, deer right above us on the ridge" I slowly turn and see a doe and a fawn. We then head back to the truck as it was now dark.
Wednesday we decide to try a spot we had seen some deer at tthe previous year, we see nothing at all due to the snow that was falling until around 9, we decide to head down and meet our buddys for some food when I spot a deer way up on the top of a rock bluff I could tell it was a little buck but we werent to sure if it was a whitey or not due to the bush in front of the deers back end, he starts to trot by when our partner says is a whitey I wait unil I see the deers body in the cross hairs and let rip, I was surprised as the deer did not kick or any thing and I was told to walk up to where he was standing and check for blood or hair and they would bring the vehicle around to the landing on the other side. I see no sign of blood or hair and they tell me they had seen him running away in he trees below. We head back to the motel and wait until about 1:30 and head up another road we figured could hold a fair amount of bucks. We head up to the top seeing nothing but fresh sign heading down. Drive further down the main road and take a side road to a landing that had good visibility into the botton draw and take a walk into the nect little block, my dad seats me in a spot and walks just a little ways behind me to a spot where I could still see him. I wait and wait nothing then before dark I hear a stick snap on the other side of the draw and then I hear some grunting, becoming a little shaky as I heard his footsteps then I could heard it step then slide on something but never got to see him.
Thursday morning being our last day to hunt and we decide we'd go back up to that same spot but I'd sit about 15 yards below the landing and my dad would make his way towards me through the timber to try and scare a buck to me, I hear what I make out as a deer walking down to my left and some branches snapping to my right in the timber. I then spot a deer walking in the back of the draw, it turns and makes its way towards me and I bring my scope up to see that it looked like a doe, it come around a big stump and I brought my scope up once more to confirm it was a doe, to my surprise it was a spike, I waited for the buck to jump over the winfall infront of it. It then took three steps and ooked into the timber to my right where I thought I heard some deer, Cross hairs on the neck, BANG, flop, I had hit it in the base of the neck, it went straight down were it stood and kicked twice then was dead. I cut my tag and gutted him and dragged him to the truck. I was happy with him as it was my first Whitetail (second deer) and would be a good eater.

Sorry about my typing problems everytime I try to correct them my computer ereases the next letter, hope it isnt a big deal!
________
Honda I-Shift History (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_I-SHIFT)

30-06
11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
weres the pics jonas,,,

DropTines
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
oh sorry there in the gallery
________
M engine (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_M_engine)

Mark_S
11-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Good work on the buck.

To fix your typing problem press the insert button.....over by the delete button..... that should fix it.

DropTines
11-23-2006, 10:50 PM
ok thanks man, I am gonna quit putting up posts, they are hardly read and are always bad I'm gonna just watch from now on
________
DR-Z400 (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_DR-Z400)

bad arrow
11-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Droptines, thats an exellent read, I like the detail that you go into, good for you.

Hank Hunter
11-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the buck and keep posting

partsman
11-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Congrats, and don't stop posting.

DropTines
11-23-2006, 11:36 PM
I mainly dont like posting because I don't have a really strong vocabulary and I bet most of you won't even be able to guess my age!
________
New mexico medical marijuana dispensaries (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

partsman
11-23-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't think anybody questions age here, more like the IQ of some.:lol:

Hank Hunter
11-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Age or vocabulary has nothing to do with it we all hunt and enjoy the stories told by other hunters. I had no problem following your story so keep it up

Brambles
11-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Just checked out the picture in your gallery, looks like a dandy 5 point whitetail, congrats

DropTines
11-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Yes, and I was surprised with how easy he was to drag, my buck could hasve been arried but I didnt want to be skunked and he'll be good eating, white fat on him!
________
FORD METEOR PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Meteor)

fozzy
11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Good work! Nice story. Don't stop posting or we'll have nothing to read if we all do that. :) Glad that you got a buck, I'm sure he'll taste real good.

ok thanks man, I am gonna quit putting up posts, they are hardly read and are always bad I'm gonna just watch from now on

mainland hunter
11-24-2006, 08:23 PM
congrats DT, good story. keep posting

NightOwl74
11-26-2006, 03:10 AM
I knew you'd get one!8)

DropTines
11-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Really, first year hunting I got lucky filled both the tags I got =D
________
Lsv (http://vaporizer.org/)

sawmill
11-26-2006, 10:04 AM
I mainly dont like posting because I don't have a really strong vocabulary and I bet most of you won't even be able to guess my age!
If you can spell vocabulary you`re do`ing better than most of us:lol:
Great buck and even better story .Keep `em coming!

jaeger
11-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice story Drop-tines, It will be good eatin! As to the erase of the letter push your insert key ones , that should take care of the problem.
Cheers Jaeger

DropTines
11-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks alot for the help
________
Uhwh (http://uhwh.com/)