PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer hunting after the snow falls and does it change your style of hunting them?

Jelvis
09-20-2012, 07:42 PM
fully-------------deleted

fearnodeer
09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Pitt Lake 27 years ago, hunted three day no buks snowed then three bucks on the hook best trip of my life

hunter1993ap
09-20-2012, 07:59 PM
i would love to see snow now instead of this heat! i really like being the first one up a road after a good snowfall and heading out after mule deer. these are some of the first memories i have of mule deer hunting and love hunting in snow. the conditions are rarely great with snow but when they are i have seen some beautiful mule deer. one bow season i watched an awesome timber mule deer walk right past me under thirty yards but to thick to get a shot. then i looped around and he bounced away at 50 yards. still was a great day and a great buck!! i have to get the elk bug out of me and then i'll be focussed on mule deer. if i see a giant now i might kill it but i am fairly picky so i'll probably still have my tag when the snow arrives. cant wait to start timber hunting the big mule deer in the late fall!

Jelvis
09-20-2012, 08:05 PM
---------------------------------

hunter1993ap
09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
one day walking from the valley bottum to the top of some really nice fir ridges. hit a track on the road jumped out of the truck and the chase was on. there was a group of deer with one particular one that was rubbing trees in the 8 inch range right in front of me. i just couldnt get a look at him. always saw the does but he was not around when i caught the group. there was about 4inches of snow at the botton and about 2 feet at the top. great day with multiple buck sightings but nothing over a three point. found over ten big fresh rubs on top of the recent snow fall!! was loud but still managed to get on deer but none of the big boys i was waiting for. thought it was going to happen when i saw a doe calling but waited for a long time and nothing. one of the best days of hunting mule deer in my life. i can still remember how cold it was, when i got back to camp my wool clothes were like a white snowball. this was a great area to hunt big mature mule deer untill some *&*&^$*$ cut a quad trail right up the mountain through the bedding ridges and prime mule deer habitat.... why do people do this i dont know?? lazzy i guess. we had a nick name for one of the big mule deer we were chasing that had a massive body. big old bugger we called the donkey. biggest body on a mule deer i have ever seen and biggest track. your getting me reved for chasing mule deer!!!

Jelvis
09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
------------------------------

hunter1993ap
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
heres another one. walking down a steep draw after the mule deer season closed chasing whitetails. about 8 inches of snow that week. saw a great buck in the 160's hot on a doe without a care in the world. watched him for a few minutes and they left. then i walk down the draw and up a ridge and in the distance i can see a massive buck in an alder patch, like you would see in a magazine. head down following a doe on a steep ridge on the face of a mountain. this deer got my blood pumping!! great to see!! one of the memories i will have for a long time. watching this prime buck in prime mule deer habitat is an awesome sight to see. i love hunting anything but my passion is with mule deer.

Jelvis
09-20-2012, 08:55 PM
--------------------------------------