PDA

View Full Version : Solo Cow Moose hunt 7-23?

jessieboy1
09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I have a Cow Moose draw and the Friend I had going with me backed out because of Work so my question is,can one guy handle butchering a Moose on his own.I have shot lots of Deer but never gone Moose hunting so I have the basic knowledge and gear(Chainsaw,Knives,Packframe etc...).Even the area is unknown to me as all my hunting is done in region 3 & 8 but I finally got a draw after 15 years of trying and I just can't pass it up.I hear there are lots of Grizzlys in that area as well;butchering after dark by myself would be a bad idea obviously.

The Dawg
09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Yup. Can be done on your own. Its the same as a deer, but much bigger.

Bring rope to tie the legs to a tree to make gutting easier, and quarter it before moving it.

Yes, there are a few grizz in there. So just keep something by for defense, and stay aware.

Dont give up on the tag!

avadad
09-19-2012, 09:57 PM
You might want to consider using the gutless method once you have a cow on the ground...deboning in the field would help reduce the weight you will need to haul out on the pack frame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA. good luck.

pappy
09-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Do the gutless method, look it up on elk101.com its a pretty good website and has a good video on this method. You might have a very high chance of seeing a cow while road hunting or on the way to where you want to hike in. The closer to the truck the better when solo hunting bigger animals, less chance of running into a predator with meat on your back. Just this last weekend a co-workers son shot an elk and gutted it before going back to camp. He pulled the elk away from the gut pile with his quad and when he came back the next morning a bear had ate the gutpile and left the elk alone. He never seen the bear. Good luck and solo is no reason to not enjoy another adventure.

pappy
09-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Forgot to mention he only gutted it because he knew he could not finish quartering it by himself while it was getting dark. Prop open the rib cage if you have to leave it overnight.

pete_k
09-19-2012, 10:15 PM
PM sent Jessie

250 sav
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Bring some heavy rope, I bring about 300' of 3/4" nylon. If you get it near the rd. you can pull whole to the rd. then throw the rope around a tree on the high side of the rd. to pull it some where you can load it. then you deal with skinning , quartering etc. at camp. If hunting moose by yourself without access to a quad I would reccommend stay in areas where retrieval is fessable. My son and I got 2 bulls in peace this year used truck and rope for 1 bull and a quad for the 2nd and in both cases had the whole field dressed moose in the truck in under 1 hour from the shot.

broadhead67
09-20-2012, 11:49 AM
good friend of mine was calling in 7-23 b 2 years ago ,after 3 calls in 15 min, they watched a good size grizz cross the river upstream and circle back down to them .Not trying to discurage you in anyway but keep in mind that even a shot sounds like a dinner bell to some of them.If you have a dog thats not an idiot (like mine - no I dont want to hear how pets resemble their owners) grab it from camp once the games on the ground and keep it close, you will be fine and have lots of warning. Good hunting .

The Dude
09-20-2012, 11:58 AM
11 posts in three years.
Find a buddy on the hunting buddies thread.

jig55
09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
We incounter Grizzly there every year and Shot one last season we had 3 Draws for them. There are lots there so just be aware.

jessieboy1
09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
We incounter Grizzly there every year and Shot one last season we had 3 Draws for them. There are lots there so just be aware.
yeah I have a Grizzly draw for that area as well,just never mentioned it.

Glenny
09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
I shot a bull once y me self. It was in the morning. Took most of the day to get it out. Good adventure. Wouldn't do it myself on an evening hunt unless it was standing on the road.

sparkes3
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
when are you going

broadhead67
09-20-2012, 09:27 PM
11 posts in three years.
Find a buddy on the hunting buddies thread.

what does the 11 posts in 3 years refer to ? I have 7 posts in 4 years ,do I win a goat?

BuckEye
09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Do a lot of my FRS road and outdoor exploring time alone. The gps emergency transmitter spot is on my gear list. Wouldn't be a bad idea if you are remote for periods alone. At the very least they will be able to find the spot and worst case a bone pile beside it.
You could do it alone. Others have. Just be a good boy scout and be prepared.

Redneckpg
09-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Which section of 7-23 u have? I know that area quite well, was my go to place and have takin 3 nice bulls outta there before they split it into 5 seperate areas. Yes you have to watch for grizz, there is alot and they are friggin huge. Also alot of wolves.....shoot as many of the *******s as you can. You can hunt alone, I do alot and have gotten 6 moose while on my own (including last Sunday on the Bowron R), but it can be alot of work, especially if you havent before. When you plan on going up there?