PDA

View Full Version : closure of KVR trail

snowriver
09-19-2012, 06:10 PM
There was a meeting held last night in Naramata. The focus was to close the KVR trail from Penticton to Chute Lake to vehicle use. The map shows 80% hiking and bicycling and 20% ATV and motorcycle use, and 0% vehicle traffic. The trail is to be upgraded to allow for better cycling and hiking. Parking lots are to be built in prime Elk breeding and calving areas, as well as winter range for Elk and deer. Limited trails for ATV's and motorcycles will be directed thru old growth areas. All this to attract tourists to the area. I don't believe any studies have been conducted on the impact of the wildlife in the area. With fenced vineyards, and increasing residential housing in the area we are not leaving much for the future of wildlife . The provincial government has put the emphasis on tourism over the wishes of the local community. The citizens of Naramata were told the government owns the trail system and can designate whatever use they feel appropiate. Naramata citizens have maintained the trail and kept it open to all users for 30 years. Hunters, cyclers, motorcycles, ATV's, and hikers alike. It is a shame to see such prime habitat ignored for the sake of making money. I wonder where they will strike next.

troutseeker
09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Well. if lightning started another fire to burn the trestles, this plan would go to hell.

dakoda62
09-19-2012, 07:58 PM
F#@$%ing granaloa crunching townies

JDR
09-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I use the KVR all the time on my ATV, would be a real shame to lose access. So are you saying the gov't is pushing this? Is this a for sure thing and when is it expected to happen?

snowriver
09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
They said they are going to start this fall. It is being pushed by Trails B.C. and the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen. As it is part of the Trans Canada trail ther may be a federal agenda as well. it is a shame to lose access to this area. I have always felt that crown land should not be restricted, and to have it used by certain groups only reeks of discrimination. Hunters and firewood gatherers are put on a different level than hikers and cyclists. The outdoors used to be for everyone to enjoy, and not just special user groups. I was really hoping it would remain that way for my children.

buckdragger
09-19-2012, 10:10 PM
I read that it wasn't finalized yet? Are you hearing that it is? I sure hope not!!!

6.5x55
09-19-2012, 10:13 PM
sounds like the same kind of crap as is going on in the great bear rainforest special group bypasses government responsibility because fish and wildlife can't or won't do their jobs. Where does it stop?

.300WSMImpact!
09-20-2012, 07:36 AM
close them all to motorized vehicals as long as I can still hunt on them, i love seeing the hippies when I am all camo'd up, and then I ask, YOU SEEIN ANY DEER

bassplayer
09-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Here's the article. My buddy Daryn Semancik spoke up at this meeting.

http://www.castanet.net/news/South-Okanagan/80664/Trail-makers-told-to-take-a-hike

snowriver
09-20-2012, 08:44 AM
As long as the hikers and bikers don't complain about your presence on their trail. The rules seem to be dictated by complaints from the trail users. Most people that are riding their bikes on the trail would frown upon people shooting the animals they are there to see. This could result in no hunting in the area, as shots being fired would have an adverse affect on the tourists they are trying to draw. I have a problem with dragging an Elk or a Moose 5 miles to the nearest vehicle access. At the meeting it was suggested by the trail manager that they would be looking at the road from Chute lake to Gerrard FSR and beyond to the trestles next. Today it affects my back yard, tomorrow it will be yours. As hunters we are no longer politically correct. we will be slowly pushed from our traditional areas, just as the animals we hunt have been over the years. It starts by closing access to crown land, purchased with our tax dollars.

huntinnewbie
09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I really don't think hunting on or close to the trail is the issue here.
The issue is with motorized use of certain sections of the trail. Especially by dirt bikes and ATVs.
As a regular rider on a quad of sections of the KVR I can state that a few bad apples can and will ruin the barrell.
The people who hike and mountain bike the KVR are a loud and vociferous group.
We know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
However for those sections that are still currently open to motorized traffic a little common sense could help to keep it this way.
When encountering hikers and mountain bikers we always slow to a crawl of come to a complete stop to enable them to pass or us to pass them again at a crawl.
Dust and flying gravel is a serious issue on many sections. However I have noted that all are not as concientous especially the weekend warriors on their dirt bikes.
There is no reason why the trail cannot be shared by all users.
It especially irks me when on foot or on a mountain bike you have no restrictions period as to where you can go. But, they want more and more and with exclusive access.
ATV riders are gradually losing more and more areas due greatly in part to a few irresponsable riders.
Lets hope that the powers that be use some common sense and realize that the trail belongs to all citizens and should be available to all users. That some communities have been using the trail for all sorts of transport long before the advent of the Trans Canada Trail. Some rely on it as an important transportation corrider and some rely on the income ATV riders bring to their community.:smile:

Iron Glove
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I really don't think hunting on or close to the trail is the issue here.
The issue is with motorized use of certain sections of the trail. Especially by dirt bikes and ATVs.
As a regular rider on a quad of sections of the KVR I can state that a few bad apples can and will ruin the barrell.
The people who hike and mountain bike the KVR are a loud and vociferous group.
We know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
However for those sections that are still currently open to motorized traffic a little common sense could help to keep it this way.
When encountering hikers and mountain bikers we always slow to a crawl of come to a complete stop to enable them to pass or us to pass them again at a crawl.
Dust and flying gravel is a serious issue on many sections. However I have noted that all are not as concientous especially the weekend warriors on their dirt bikes.
There is no reason why the trail cannot be shared by all users.
It especially irks me when on foot or on a mountain bike you have no restrictions period as to where you can go. But, they want more and more and with exclusive access.
ATV riders are gradually losing more and more areas due greatly in part to a few irresponsable riders.
Lets hope that the powers that be use some common sense and realize that the trail belongs to all citizens and should be available to all users. That some communities have been using the trail for all sorts of transport long before the advent of the Trans Canada Trail. Some rely on it as an important transportation corrider and some rely on the income ATV riders bring to their community.:smile:

Very well said.
There's a lot of discussion on the KVR on QuadsBC.
Lots of concern in the Princeton area re not allowing ATV's.

22ruger
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I have modified my mountain bike for hunting by putting scabbards on my paniers to hold my guns for hunting and bike and hunt that area a lot.There is nothing that they can say to that and when people have asked about the guns I have told them its for protection from bears.The bike gets you alot closer to the game and is now my preferred method of hunting transportation.Throws it back in their face a bit since they can't ban the mountain bikes.More and more places going non motorized because of a few idiots

40incher
09-20-2012, 06:29 PM
When they came for my friends and neighbours I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one else left.

Wake up boys! It's happening everywhere the granolas have migrated to. They love the country and how we have kept it intact, but they need to save us from ourselves.

Making new rules that affect all, to deal with a few, is the oldest bureaucratic trick in the book. Stand up.

SPEYMAN
09-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Join ATV/BC,BC Quad Riders Association.They are actively working to keep trails open and access for riders.Your support goes a long ways in how the Government responds to these issues.

troutseeker
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
close them all to motorized vehicals as long as I can still hunt on them, i love seeing the hippies when I am all camo'd up, and then I ask, YOU SEEIN ANY DEER

But I thought you only road hunted and tossed empty beer cans out the window so you could find your way back? Haha. :mrgreen:

steel_ram
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Morons racing up and down other sections of the trail, side banking and making a mess ruins it for the few ATV'rs that behave themselves.