PDA

View Full Version : Rookie headed to Castlegar/Slocan area for Whitetail

Robert_G
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking of planning a trip to the West Koot region this mid Oct. I've never been hunting there. Looking to try something completely different this year.

Not asking for secret spots, but I'm thinking of somewhere between Castlegar and Slocan. Will be hunting for Whitetail. Not sure if I should bring a Mulie tag along.

I guess what I'm asking is the hunting similar to what I'd expect in Rock Creek or Christian Valley. There it seems that the whitetails mostly below 3000 feet. Some people say that the Castlegar/Slocan area has higher density whitetails than Rock Creek, but I don't really know myself, so I thought I'd ask.

Anything a rookie West Koots guy should know before he heads out would be apprieciated.

SavageShooter
09-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Lots of whities not nearly as many mulies.
Generally not nearly the long visability avaialable in other areas. THe whities like everything around here are hiding from the hordes of elk hunters. If you can wait till later and wait for things to calm down. Otherwise go up pretty much any FSR and check out the cutblocks. HAve a walk and look for sign. If you find some good sign go for a walk in the adjacent thick stuff and you might find some deer. If you can find some clearings close to the cutblocks where the whities may stage just before dark. THey will wait here until dark to move out into the cutblocks, too much traffic on the roads.

As for actual roads, Koch, Goose Cr. Merry Cr, and Rialto all have good animals, but prepare to walk and walk slow.

SS

palmer
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
If you are looking for deer, ROSEBUD lake near the Nelway border south of salmo on Hwy 6 has lots of Whitetail.