PDA

View Full Version : rock creek snow conditions

levind
11-23-2006, 09:02 AM
anyone have information on snow conditions up by randell creek. Going for the bow season hoping to get lucky. Hope the snow hasn't pushed down most of the deer. Any info would be great. thanks guys.

Kevin

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-23-2006, 09:13 AM
We came back from the Christian valley on Sunday,we stayed at Rendell creek cabins,there was very little snow and it was very crunchy,the roads were like skating rinks,there were deer around and we managed to shoot a small buck but the full migration hadnt kicked in ,that being said we saw 2 really nice bucks .I believe that it has snowed since so the conditions should be excellent just bring your chains and set up a blind near the creek close to the fields. :lol:

levind
11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
thanks bighunterfish plan on taking up the blind and getting some good use out of it this weekend. it will be my first time hunting out of a blind so not sure were to place it so i will look at that tip. thanks for the quick reply.

kevin

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I like to set up near a game trail close to a creek,because there is extra noise from the water that will help you,set up near some timber where you can scan an opening and the deer wont sneak in behind you ,put some deer urine on some tissue papers and spread them around the small trees near the game trail,also bring a doe bleat can call,and make about 3, 3 second bleats and wait 5 minutes and continue calling,just rember to be patient the bucks are rutting and moving so dont leave your blind to soon ,bring a pillow for comfort and a large thermose of coffee.good luck and keep me posted.:lol:

blaker_99
11-23-2006, 11:24 AM
atta boy bigfish congrats. sounds like we have another christian valley vet. haha good to hear. so was there any decent bucks taken out of the cabins while you were there? we passed them a few times saw animals hanging but didn't drop in to see the size of them. Also i strongly reccomend at this time of the year a quad with chains on it is a must if you're wanting to venture up any of the roads. My brother nearly lost his diesel rig last year even though he had chains on, the raods are litterly ice rinks to say the least!! well hope to see some of you bow hunters out there this weekend cheers to all!!

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey Blaker,A couple guys got a few nice bucks there was a nice 4x4 and a 5x5 hanging I saw a big buck on the Boss ranch that would have scored well.So many guys complain about the hunting pressure but if you go for a walk you dont see anyone ,and can actually use the other hunters to your benefit if you set up right.All the best and continued success. 8-)

levind
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
we were there the last couple of years and the roads are never that good. we wont be venturing to far away from the main road by truck. we will be staying at the rec site at 45 km i believe that the right km marking. its on the right hand side of the road going north.all wellcome to come in and say hi. we don't see all that many people up there for the bow season. Saw 2 nice buck last year. could have taken a facing shot but didn't feel comfortable with it so passed and the other buck only stopped 100 yards away after i spooked it. wish i had a rifle. lol

DropTines
11-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Most of the deer have left the fields and moved up now and MAKE SURE YOU BRING CHAINS, partner went up into the Wildhorse area and slid 300 yards backwars (so they say)...They were rutting hard to as another partner walked onto a buck breeding a doe, he shot 4 times missing due to the bushes on the bullets path, and the gun, but he ran out of bullets he snuck away fromt he buck who was still standing there and I walked down to the spot whenhe had gone for shells then the buck spooked off the flat...
________
Subaru stella (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_Stella)

levind
11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
i havn't hunted whitetail much but why would they leave the feilds and head up into to snow. Would they not be coming down because of the snow and staying on or near the feild for easy feed?

DropTines
11-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm not to sure, but we went out to a rancher we knows place and he said that we won't do to well if we wanted to hunt his fields because they have all moved up.
________
FORD XK FALCON SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_XK_Falcon)

levind
11-23-2006, 04:05 PM
interesting i wouldn't have guessed that.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-23-2006, 04:25 PM
A guy shoots at a whitetail buck four times and it just stands there ,and the deer are heading back to the high country because of snow.And Santa Claus is coming soon. :lol:

levind
11-23-2006, 04:29 PM
lol big.

bighuntfish are you going to be up there this weekend?

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-23-2006, 04:46 PM
I wish I was going up there this weekend but I have to work this weekend ,and I havent gotten into the whole bow thing yet.I hope you have a good trip and get some deer.see you later :lol:

levind
11-23-2006, 04:47 PM
see ya bighunt

Mckinney Creek Adventures
11-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Shot a real nice 5x5 Whitey yesterday morning nearby. The deer are comming into full rut now and are starting to move. Snowing everyday here..... Snowing right now.

Good luck.

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, keep us in mind. We have some availability still.

levind
11-23-2006, 05:23 PM
thanks for the offer but we will be staying in are camper up by the kettle river. congrats on the 5x5 though.

11-23-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=614&d=1164328136

Here he is now that I figured out how to post an attachment.

DropTines
11-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Story McKinney, STORY!
________
Ford xc falcon specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_XC_Falcon)

11-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Here it is. Was out first thing yesterday morning to check out another hole of mines. Fresh snow on the ground, seen two does on the way there on the ATV. First one out this area that morning. Parked the ATV and went for a couple of hour still hunt. Not a fresh track, not a sign of fur. Got back to the ATV, tire was flat, so I pumped that up and noticed fresh Turkey tracks right up to the bike. It walked right around the dam thing.

Anyways, thought I would travel around the rest of the morning and try to locate some movement in the fresh snow (stopped snowing around 9 am). After a couple of dead end side roads etc., I stumble across some fresh tracks, got of the ATV and noticed they headed away from me down the road at a bit of a pace I thought. So I threw a shell in the gun and started following. About 40 yards down, it looked like more tracks joined in, but continued down the road to an opening ahead. Well, on further inspection, I noticed they curled around to my right and back towards where I came. Just as I figured that out I looked up and there was the buck making the tracks just staring at me 30 yards way. I drew up my gun with the safety off thinking I could see horns, but I forgot to flip up the clear fron lense cover on my scope that was fogged up. Down with the rifle and flip up the cover... up with the rifle.... buck..... big antlers...... boom. It took off running with another animal which I did not get a look at. I knew I hit him hard because there was blood all over right where he was standing and in the direction he ran so I knew he was not going far. Decided to go back to the quad and get my pack with all my tools in it. Get there and the buck is laying 30 yards above it dead.

The end.

I cant believe he just stood there and watched me as I was figuring out where the heck they were going. A little luck helps sometimes!

Nice even buck. Thinking of getting him mounted. Not the biggest I have pulled outa the area, but one of the prettiest bucks for sure.

Mckinney Creek

DropTines
11-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Good job McKinney, about to make a thread on our trip to Rock Creek I just got home from!
________
GLASS WEED PIPE (http://glasspipes.net/)

11-23-2006, 06:58 PM
How was the luck?

DropTines
11-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Good got my first whitey, read the thread Rock Creek success!Long Story!
________
HONDA XR250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_XR250)

beeker
11-24-2006, 01:35 AM
congrats! got any pics mckinney?

11-24-2006, 06:45 AM
picture link on my first post on second page i think

thanks

levind
11-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Have fun boys and girls off to rock creek wish everyone a good weekend.