PDA

View Full Version : Any Savona/Walachin (Juniper)/Ashcroft chukar news ??

BigSlapper
09-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Folks ... if any of you have put in any "Chukar Time" recently (past 2 seasons) in the Walachin/Savona/Juniper Beach (above/South & along the tracks)/Ashcroft (West of HWY) areas, would love to hear feedback on numbers, activity, etc etc (I'm familiar with the areas but have not been the past 2 seasons). And yes sir .... I know about the cactus and booties! ha! :)

Which way did he go ??? .... which way did he go ...????
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01136.jpg

BigSlapper
09-20-2012, 09:30 PM
You Chukar guys .... playin the cards close to the vest. :)

CBH
09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
BigSlapper, the chukar populations have been really low in the areas you mentioned. Last year I only got into 1 covey! and I can only imagine what the wet June we had will do to this year's population. However, I see tons of chukar on Sun Rivers golf course in Kamloops. something tells me the golfers wouldnt appreciated shotguns blazing on the 3rd hole :-P I do hear (from the fishermen) that Spences Bridge area holds a decent population.

You have a wonderful looking dog! How old and where did it from?

coach
09-21-2012, 01:17 PM
BigSlapper - this might seem like a dumb question, but how does your dog deal with all the cactus in the area? Stuck myself a few times last week - nasty stuff.

09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
You can get booties for the dogs. My Great unlce used to hunt there all the time, thats what he did.

coach
09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I know my dog would have them all over her. :smile:

sakohunter
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately I have not been up chukar hunting in the Thompson basin for a couple of years(Moose draws), but beyond the suggestions that the other members have made. Botties etc. You should be aware that with the continuing hot weather the snakes have not gone to bed yet. If you are buying booties the lewis dog boot is about the best I've used in dry weather, but snow not so much. Also Water, a large comb and forcepts have been invaluable when hunting up there. The comb allows you to flick the Prickly pear cactus off your dog without sticking yourself, and the forcepts well, for after the hunt to clean up the dog. Everywhere I've hunted chukar has its challanges, but the Thompson Basin is the hardest on a dog. Finally, the guys I learned to hunt chukars with had one golden rule. Don't hunt the birds too close to dark. They always quit hunting in the late afternoon, to allow the birds to covey back up. The predators pick off the singles from late busted coveys when they call out to find their family group. Good luck, hunt safe, and protect our resource!

BigSlapper
09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
CBH - Gunnar is 17 months old out of Omak, Wa (Okanogan- Flusstal Kennels and Lee Root/breeder). Thanks for the nice compliments - he is a pistol and absolutely bird bananas! Your dog in your avatar - tell me about her/him?

Coach - I use boots for him. Lewis Dog Boots (as mentioned by sakohunter) seem to be the choice of NA "gundoggers" when in arid areas with cactus. Damn funny to watch him the first time with the boots! He still gets his fare share of stickers but nowhere near what he would get without the boots. I chuckled when I saw your sheep thread pic of the cactus on the boot.

Sakohunter - great tips. I carry forceps with me and they are invaluable but have not heard of the comb. Will try this next week when out for opening. Also I think their is some great wisdom in your buddies shutting down their hunt late afternoon to allow the birds to regroup. I think I'll practice this from now on.

CBH
09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
BigSlapper, My pup (Sitka) is 9 months old and like your dog, he is bird crazy!! I bought him from Linda Cline at Someday Retrievers. I had 1st pick of the litter and I choose him for 2 reasons, he was the cutest and when introduced to birds (at 7 weeks) he would not leave it alone! At 6 months of age, I sent him for a month of hunting and some obedience training. I really think it helped him with his hunting development. I have had him out grouse and pheasant hunting so far this season and I love every minute of it. In my opinion, you cant get a better hunting breed. PM me sometime and let me know how your season is going with Gunnar.

Do you suggest I buy the Lewis Dog Boots?

BigSlapper
09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
CBH - buy the Lewis boots, you won't be disappointed. I recommend buying two sets and if Sitka is like Gunnar, his front feet are a bit bigger than his backs. I purchased an XL set (4) and a L (4) set. I use two XL's for front and 2 L for his back. Works fine. I wrap his lower leg with vet tape first, slip the boot on and then 2 wraps of clear (flexible) hockey tape around the outside top of the Lewis boot and vet wrap to hold them in place. Works like a charm. the tape sticks to the easily removable vet wrap instead of his hair for easy removal. I'll try to take some pics nxt week and send to you.