PDA

View Full Version : PeteK's First Moose!!!!!!!!!

muleychaser
09-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I had the pleasure of being with fellow board member PeteK when he had the oppurtunity to put his first moose on the ground, It was a very quick hunt close to home but what an awesome day!!!!!!! I will let him tell the story but here is a picture for the time being. I will say it was a great shot from 300 yards to put the bull down and I was right behind him watching.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/photo_1280x956_.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

dragonslayer
09-16-2012, 01:15 PM
very well done, nice when things work out, congrats to both of you

swampthing
09-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Good job guys.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
09-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Good Hunting for both of you. Nice bull Moose for Pete.

pete_k
09-16-2012, 10:18 PM
youtube link at bottom..

This is my first full year up in PG. I met Shane and a few other guys from HBC at a mid-season get-together at his fire pit last year.
I actually won a moose draw close to home this year and was pumped to get out there and use it.

Friday Sept 14th:
I was heading out on an 2-night solo moose hunt early Friday morning. Shane texts me in the 5 A.M. He says he called in sick and asks if I want to go for a day hunt in such and such an area. He says he feels confident I'll get something in two days if we hit that area hard.

Typical me, I tell him no thanks. I was packed to go out on a solo 2-nighter with food packed, sleeping bag, family kissed and hugged and the whole 9 yards. But I drop by his house on my way out of town to say hi (goodbye). We got talking and and he shows me this area I completely missed on the map. I thought what the hell and say OK let's go. Shane was ready in 5 mins and we hit the road. It was in the low 20's all day so we did not see anything, but it was top notch moose country and had a good time. We had a little git-together BBQ at my place that eve and everyone went home early because the plan was to get up early and go again. Shane was pretty sure he'd be sick again on Saturday.

Saturday Sept 15th:
Luckily Shane was sick again. We met at 5:30 for fuel and had the ATV's on the ground at about 6:15. The Eastern sky was just barely starting to turn red. It was cold and lots of frost on the ground. We were in the bush a few minutes later, put-put'ing down some old trails. I hear a harsh loud whisper "Pete!". I look back at Shane who is staring at the side of a hill pointing. I instantly see two dark black objects in the brush at 600 yards. I shut off the ATV and un-sling my rifle to have a look. It took a while but there was definately a small bull in there. Looked like a text book spike fork. We could not make out the other. Shane asked if I comfortable shooting from here. "Nope, too long for me".

Shane said there is a closer road behind them at the top of the hill. How he knows this area so well, I'll never know. We got back on the ATV's and got up high in behind them. That 7 minute ATV ride felt like 3 hours of hoping that they would still be there when we got above them. We got there and they were still there, but now standing. We walked into the bush about 100 yards and I setup to shoot on the branch of a small Spruce. I glassed him for a while, taking it all in. He walked a little bit then stopped. I really wanted to see the other moose in case he was a bit bigger, but nothing. He gave me a nice broad side double lung shot, stumbled 20 feet and hit the dirt. Shane seen the now solo cow running over the horizon. He was a bit bigger than a spiker. He had just started to paddle on the left and had large drop tines for such a small rack.

The hunt was over. After the handshakes and photos, Shane dragged the 500lb bull 200 yards out of the cut block to our trail with his ATV. A big thanks to Shane for doing that. You certainly do get the job done without any f'ing around. The bull was on the road and sun was still below the horizon. The sky was a brilliant red and we were sipping hot coffee appreciating our day. Thanks for showing me some valuable pointers on gutting that big guy.

It's my first moose. He's at the meat cutters as I type this. Thanks to Shane for being my hunting partner. And thanks to Devon for coming out to help so early in the morning. The bull was hanging in my shed, all the work done before noon thanks to these two guys. I look forward to future hunts with these guys, they are an A1 crew. I hope to help you as much as you helped me. Good luck to all you hunters out there this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw2PETqQITg

chilcotin hillbilly
09-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Congrats on the good friends......... and the moose.

fearnodeer
09-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Great story, always good to have friends, Congrats.

ianwuzhere
09-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Good Job, will be some good eats there!!

sed8ed
09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Good job, nice vid... all grins there eh!!!

jml11
09-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Right On! This hot weather is making for some tough hunting conditions making those early mornings key! Calling for +27 later this week...:mad:

muleychaser
09-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Well I can 100 percent confirm that that is one damn fine tasting moose!!!!! I BBQed up the tenderloin Pete gave me for dinner last night and it was fantastic, Once again, good job on putting that very tasty swamp donkey down bud!

kennyj
09-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Way to go guys. Nice eater right there.
kenny

The Dawg
09-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Way to go guys!

Jagermeister
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Where's the camo?
Congratulations on your first moose Pete. May you score many more.

killman
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Good Job guys.

nap
09-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Congrats to you pete, the first is always the most memorable in my books. Great to hear you had some help and don't forget you have alot of friends out there, you just havn't met them yet.
nap