PDA

View Full Version : Advise on taxidermist?

nuadixion
09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I want to do a goat head mount...any advise would be appreciated. I called Furs and feathers - their estimated time is 14-16 months and $975 + 55 skinning.
I am on the north shore LM.

Steeleco
09-15-2012, 09:30 AM
You'll not soon find anyone that can do it in much less time. There's lots of Taxis that are spoken off here on the site, read up on a few and go pay them a visit before your hunt. They'll tell you how they like the piece handled in the field. If they're happy, you'll be happier!!

Mugger
09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
You can call Ganders but they will quote same aprox. The time is the tanning process wait, these guys use a repretible tanning company who have been in buisness for a long time. it delays output but quality assured. There are newer guys doing taxidermist work yhat may be cheeper and faster but I have only worked with Ganders, Ausland and Reg Parsens from Cranbrook.

Trophyslayer
09-15-2012, 10:29 AM
I personally an not a fan of ganders work I have 2 mounts done by them and don't like them

Ovis17
09-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Go into Fur and Feathers and actually have a look around at the mounts. Talk to Frank about what type of mount you want. You will soon discover that his work is A1 and that he is about as nice of a guy that you will find anywhere. He will have lots of time for you. I have several mounts done by him and I'm happy with all of them. He's also done a ton of work for many of my friends who are all happy with the end result.

weatherby_man
09-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Call Ray Wiens. Personally I think patience is key to getting a good mount done. I know you want it back quickly but I would rather have it done right and if it take a few extra months by a seasoned professional then I will wait. Ray is excellent to deal with and produces a quality product. Here are some nice head mounts. Ray I think now does his own tanning.

http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos-2/page2.html

Riverboatfantasy
09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
If you deal direct with a reputable tanner you can save money and reduce the time to completion.

Rackmastr
09-15-2012, 12:57 PM
If you deal direct with a reputable tanner you can save money and reduce the time to completion.

Except that most tanneries have 'Wholesale' rates and 'Retail' tanning rates, so you could end up paying more than what your taxidermist would pay for the same cape.

SHAKER
09-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Except that most tanneries have 'Wholesale' rates and 'Retail' tanning rates, so you could end up paying more than what your taxidermist would pay for the same cape.

It's kind of the same as bring'n your own truck parts to the repair shop! You want someone to do the job then let'em do it! I usually refuse work from guys look'n to save every last dime they can.

Rubicon500
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Make sure you take a good look at the work he/she has done on the animals you want mounted , I have seen alot of mounts on the internet/HBC and Id be heart broken if I had to put that on my wall. Sometimes you cant rush quality and some people are better at deer than say sheep etc. Congrats on the goatskis !! I actually really like the look of a november billy on a pedistal mount , spend some time on google and be creative !!

Brambles
09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Contact Wild Images and see if he's taking work, he's done 3 animals for me including my half lifesized goat

The Dude
09-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Ray Wiens, done and done.

Piperdown
09-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Wild images on this site, #1 work

cbb
09-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Call Eugene. He's in North Van up in Delbrook. Thinks the business name is capilano furs...?

1/2 slam
09-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Frank Gilbert. Fur and Feathers is my number 1. Number 2 would be Ray Weins.

warnniklz
09-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Whenever I provide a service to people, I draw them a triangle. At each corner is written

Fast
Cheap
Quality

Then I tell them they can only pick two.

Same goes for any service provided.

HD95
09-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Frank Gilbert is worth the wait......

mikeboehm
09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
frank at fur and feathers is the way to go.

MattTse
09-18-2012, 10:35 AM
My bear rug should be done by "furs and feathers" anytime now. Been just over a year. I went in a looked at his work. I was very impressed by his stuff. Exotics as well :)