PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunt Region 2-12

SKADman
09-14-2012, 12:04 PM
My hunting partner got drawn for a bull elk in Zone Q of 2-12 Skwawka River. This is a pretty remote area, (I think it's close to Timbuctu ). It's right at the very top of Jervis inlet.
Has anyone got experience in hunting Elk in that area ? I don't believe that there is logging road access except from the inlet, and don't know if any of the roads are even useable.
We could use some tips on: Best way in and out, do we need to go the expense of flying in ? Where do we start looking ? If we get lucky, how do we get the meat out ? What's the best way to contact the outside world in case of emergencies ?

Is it possible to get into the area via logging roads from the Powell Lake area (Eldred River) ?

We are both 70 years old and quite fit, but not up to packing out 100 lbs anymore. We do have a large quad available , but how to get it there ???

SKADman

MichelD
09-14-2012, 12:44 PM
You have to go in by boat. I was there years ago on a salmon counting trip with a fisheries guardian. There was a pretty good road at the time and the logging company let us use a truck. If they have quit logging the roads will probably have grown in .

EvanG
09-14-2012, 02:20 PM
i believe you can charter a water taxi out of egmont on the sunshine coast

deer nut
09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
No road acces via the Eldred. Boat access only. The roads have been extensively deactivated- in some cases you can't even get an ATV over the tank traps. Be aware there are grizz up there too.

Sangstercraft
09-17-2012, 10:15 PM
The above comments pretty much sum it up. It's dense hunting - lots of bush so it's hard to tell where they are, and they'll hear you moving through the woods. I'm not sure about how successful the calling will be. I heard from another hunter who went up there that the calling only attracted some wolves. I've been in the area, and yes there are grizzlies. I like the area, but still, be prepared (bear spray at the ready) cause you can't tell what's 15 feet in front of you sometimes, it's that dense. You might check the regs and bring the fishing rods too because that river has salmon in it this time of yr. Good luck.

Sangstercraft
09-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Just re-read your question - I personally would skip the quad, boat in, and bring a game cart. But then again I'm 32 not 70 and have my own boat :)

gutpile
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Save your self alot of work go to the kootneys

curt
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
sounds like one of those cases where research ahead of time would have paid off this sounds like a hard hard hunt but good luck if you manage to get out there!!

SKADman
09-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks to all who replied. It sounds like a daunting task, We have hunted in grizzly country before and are aware of the risks, but the biggest issue is communication to the outside world in case of an emergency.

RustyRipper
09-21-2012, 04:23 AM
the biggest issue is communication to the outside world in case of an emergency.

Get a handheld VHF, channel 16 for coast guard if there is an emergency they're who you'll wanna call.