PDA

View Full Version : Canning Salmon

Sundance1972
09-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Probably jinxing myself (getting ready to can some fish BEFORE the boat's in the water), but has anyone has tried adding a small clove of garlic,, cracked peppercorns, or maybe a chili pepper to the jars before it goes in the canner?
I will probably try just a few jars at first but I think this would add a nice flavor as I always add it to the fish for sandwiches anyway.

winchester284
09-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I keep it simple when canning..... A tablespoon of vinegar(dissolves the bones), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 5 or 6 peppercorns. I know that every can will taste the same and it leaves all sorts of options to add various flavors that can be mixed in just before spreading on my sandwiches.

Sitkaspruce
09-14-2012, 09:04 AM
You can add garlic, curry, rum, brandy, peppercorns, smoked salmon (do not cook it, just smoke it and add it), liquid smoke, honey and pretty well anything else you want to add flavour.

We like it just plain and add stuff when we make patties, sandwiches etc.

Cheers

SS

swamper
09-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I have done it with a few drops of liquid smoke and it turns out great. Don't see why a chili wouldn't give it a nice zip.

greybark
09-14-2012, 08:40 PM
As an experiment I added liquid smoke and a tablespoon of ketchup when canning white springs . Just super , and convinced fellow hunters it was sockeye .
Cheers