PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Knives

tailgate77
09-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Hi gang. I have been gone for a while. I am back in the field now and I took my first buck last night(story to come). I have had a lifelong problem with having a sharp knife. Last night was no exception. I had a heck of a time getting the deer opened up. I managed to gut it and did a pretty good job of it for my first time solo. I want to ask for some tips on keeping my knife sharp, shaving sharp, and if you have a knife that is super awesome, holds an edge amazing. Are gut hooks worth it? Thanks for any advice that I can glean from the vast knowledge of HBC. Blayne

SR80
09-14-2012, 06:45 AM
You should take a look at havalon knives.

BCHoyt
09-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Ive got an outdoor edge swingblade, plus I always have a sharpener in my pack to keep the edge fresh..

Philcott
09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Blayne,

I have a buck knife that I use for all my hunting needs. I sharpen it myself using an india stone and oil. You have to hold the stone at the right angle and be consistent with your strokes. It takes a lot of practice. I also finish it off with ceramic sticks that I bring in the bush with me to give quick touch ups to my knife with.

One tip is to not cut hair with your blade. Always cut up from the hide side not down through the hair. Cutting hair will dull the blade real quick.

There are also many sharpening kits you can buy that'll help you get a shaving sharp knife blade. They hold the knife at the correct angle and you can choose the angle you want/

Sundance1972
09-14-2012, 07:21 AM
I have the Outdoor Edge butcher set that seems to work quite well, comes with all kinds of accesories. Ribcage spreader, sharpener, etc. Belt knife is a Gerber guthook that seems to be ok so far.

Might sound a little weird, but the best thing I've used for skinning or small boning jobs, is a snap blade olfa knife (sterilized, of course).

Tanya
09-14-2012, 07:25 AM
http://www.havalon.com/ These knives are super for skinning. We have them and you just replace the blade when the current one dulls. I know guides that use them, and you should be able to get a bear to a blade at least.

Steeleco
09-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Moved to "Hunting gear" FYI

ubcpsy
09-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I use a "knives of Alaska" Alpha Wolf S30V. Razor sharp after 4 deer.

Review!: http://knifehog.com/t-review_knives_of_alaska_alpha_wolf.aspx

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=4&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D8

My hunting buddy uses this one:
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=111&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D2%26p%3D3
He's used it for years. Also holds and edge well but I like the idea of the S30V steel better. He doesn't like the grip on my knife as much. Best thing to do would be to actually get these knives in your hand.

Good Luck!

longstonec
09-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Havalon or Olfa knife if you do not want to do anything resembling sharpening.

Something I never seem to see mentioned is when using a stone, is to keep your pass's even on both sides of the blade. Unless your a sushi chef...This helps to decrease the size of the burr created and makes the burr easyer to remove. When you can shave your arm hair off it's sharp.

bighornbob
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.havalon.com/ These knives are super for skinning. We have them and you just replace the blade when the current one dulls. I know guides that use them, and you should be able to get a bear to a blade at least.

X2

Sharpening knives was cool years ago but now a days you have to get with the times:):) Blades can also be bought cheaper at medical supply shops as they are the same blades doctors use on their scapels.

BHB

solo
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Get a tungsten carbide Lansky knife sharpener. Ten bucks at any hardware store. Have even seen them for sale at gas stations. Sharpen a knife in less than five seconds, even if you have never sharpened a knife before. Your ten year old can put a razor edge on a knife in seconds. Do all of your kitchen knives, your machete, axe, and hatchets.

warnniklz
09-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Havalon is n my priority list right now.

I have so many knives (most are free samples... there's a reason they were free)

But I use my Great G-Pa's old hunting knife that he made back in the 40's for opening up animals and an outdoor edge stratus for all the cleaning/skinningwork.

If you desire a gut hook, swingblade is the way to go. I like the orange one (swingBLAZE) because it's easier to find in the grass or the dark. I personally find most gut hooks too small and sloppy to warrant the use of them.

I also have a gatco double duty sharpener that I like to use for cleaning up the edge. When I ge a real sharpening job, I get my old indian of a grandpa to sharpen my knives. He's pretty good at it.

tailgate77
09-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks all. I like the idea of the Havalon or the Olfa. I already have a new Olfa that I could boil to sterilze and take any oils off. I posted my hunt from last night....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?86382-First-Buck-ever

Fox
09-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Buy a carbon steel knife they are easy to sharpen. Use various grits of sandpaper and finish on a strop. Stainless knives are hard as hell to get a good edge on. Check out Blind Horse Knives. I am sure the havalon knives work fine but I like a full tang knife for its durability.

The Hermit
09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Fallkniven knifes rock! www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com

Fenix-Frank
09-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker to keep my knives razor sharp. It is the easiest system I have found out there. The stones set the angle so I can't screw them up like I do on a stone. Literally you can make you knives as sharp as a razor.

http://fenixultimateflashlights.com/spyderco-url/spyderco-sharpmaker-cat-url.html

Yes I sell them but it is because they work.

Ron.C
09-15-2012, 07:33 PM
x2 on Fallkniven knives.

And Vantagepoint Outfitters, who is an HBC Sponsor, carries them.

Grousedaddy
09-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Gut hooks work great imo i love mine opens them up in 2 secs and u wont cut the sack

lorneparker1
09-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Did you guys order your havalons stright from there website? or do you know someone local that has them? shippping on the edge which is a $40 knife is $30 as It only allows me to use the flat rate shipping option.

Lorne

warnniklz
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Did you guys order your havalons stright from there website? or do you know someone local that has them? shippping on the edge which is a $40 knife is $30 as It only allows me to use the flat rate shipping option.

Lorne

I've seen several stores carrying them. Not sure about the island though. The only thing I've noticed when I was playing around with them, is the handle feels a little long for me personally.

Singleshotneeded
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I juse a Buck Alaskan Guide in S30V steel and it works well and holds an edge.

Slinky Pickle
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I have this Piranta knife and it's incredible. For most tasks it's simply the best I've found for the job.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-35864383674868_2224_3697653

http://www.havalon.com/piranta-original-skinning-knife-xt60knp.html

I also have a buck skinner with a gut hook but it's use has become pretty limited after the Piranta moved in!

rosscopeeko
09-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Bark River knives. Convex blades and superb quality. Need a strop for the convex edge though. I have the Fox River model.

tailgate77
09-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I used an Olfa knife on my deer that I got tonight. It worked so slick. Cheap, easy to get replacement blades, so quick to field dress and skin. Very happy with the suggestion. Thanks!

Mr. Dean
09-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Hard to beat the old school Buck Knife...

Squamch
09-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a buck 119, which is used more like a hatchet or machete most of the time, the handle is slippery as pig shit when it's got blood on it.
Not a fan.
I use a Wyoming knife for gutting/skinning work, and any cutting the 1.5" razor blade on it can't handle, I have my pocket knife for. My regular carry knife right now is a cheapy I got at a gun show for $20. Don't recall brand, but it holds an edge well enough, and I wont cry if I loose or break it.

Mykos
09-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I like my Grohmann #3

SambOz
09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Havalon is making a heavier bladed knife I see. Its called the Torch. Slightly larger handle than a piranta but uses a heavier replaceable blade. Round $55-$60 + freight.

I've used my Piranta on plenty of sambar deer in Aus. and it does a great job. The heavier blade in the Torch would be better again as less blades would get broken.

Also carry and like two Cutco's, a double d and a straight edge, both drop points.

Tuffcity
09-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Fallkniven. Used a WM1 on 2 whitetails, a mule deer and a bear. Still frickin sharp but will probably touch it up a bit. Beautiful steel!

RC

JeffR
09-29-2012, 07:59 PM
I have a buck 119, which is used more like a hatchet or machete most of the time, the handle is slippery as pig shit when it's got blood on it.
Not a fan.

Go find something called Vetwrap or horse tape. It is a rubberized stretchy wrap for first-aid. London drugs or Petsmart both sell it. It is a great handle wrap, and gives you a solid, non-slip rubberized handle in any color for about $4.

Back to the topic, I love my fallkniven. It's a solid choice.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Bumping this to remind myself to pick up a Havalon