PDA

View Full Version : 721 where's the Moose?

twr
09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Been hunting for 5 days, have not seen anything, well seen a wolverine! But no deer, no Elk NO MOOSE. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in adcance any help is greatly appriciated

Stan

moosecaller
09-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Where are you? Other than the obvious NOT where the game is, you need to go where the game is. 7-21 is a good sized area, lots of options. If you have been hunting for 5 days and see no sign then move. Down around the Murray is usually good.

.330 Dakota
09-14-2012, 07:10 AM
I just got back from there, saw nothing on the Murray and nothing on Wolverine, nothing on Wapiti, lost our camp to Grizzlies on Kinnusso Falls Rd. Saw 7 griz in 4 days, was a good wall tent, not anymore. I think it was too warm and the elk are up high in that area, saw days of +28

Ltbullken
09-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I say go higher up, look for water with good browse (and evidence of recent browsing) next to thick timber and call in the AM and PM.

Jagermeister
09-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I say go higher up, look for water with good browse (and evidence of recent browsing) next to thick timber and call in the AM and PM.I agree with Ltbullken, the moose, deer and elk will be up high to escape the heat and the blackflies which are probably driving them nuts.

Woodpile
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Our group got two moose in August this year in 7-21. It was very warm with temps hitting close to 30. We stationed ourselves around watering holes and it worked out.

longstonec
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
7-22 Probobly.

elkdom
09-14-2012, 10:44 AM
warm and windy, makes for damm poor hunting, look to food supply areas on the "sheltered sides or cut lines, pipelines and clearings at first and last daylight ", near water sources is good as the long summer drought has been brutal,,,,,

unless you can change the weather to suit your needs ? it is what it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ltbullken
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I say go higher up, look for water with good browse (and evidence of recent browsing) next to thick timber and call in the AM and PM.

When I say 'water' I mean wet terrain in general - swamps, marshy ground, seeps, springs or lakes, rivers/creeks but they need to have good browse with thick timber/cover near it. And call!

twr
09-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys, well atleast we seen sum grouse today, and one white tail doe. I also messed up on the MU were in 720, one island lake to be exact. Friggen dry here. 3rd year comming here, and I've never seen it this dry. Higher up u all say. Dam, there's no mountains here, how much higher can u get lol.
Thanks

Stan

moosecaller
09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Go south of one island about 3-4 km east on the highway then south about 3-5 km can't remember the name of the road but always been game there.

elkdom
09-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Thanks guys, well atleast we seen sum grouse today, and one white tail doe. I also messed up on the MU were in 720, one island lake to be exact. Friggen dry here. 3rd year comming here, and I've never seen it this dry. Higher up u all say. Dam, there's no mountains here, how much higher can u get lol.
Thanks

Stan

hunt the first road on your left,you come to a ( X ,cross roads) when you leave 1 Isl Lake Prov Campsites, the road name is called "Camp road" on the O&G signage, the road goes about 15 kl south and has dozens of short roads to many gas well sites,and cut blocks,through magnificent moose and elk habitat,also hunt the "power line" hard ! also hunt the "Suncor road, there is elk and moose and wt deer along there ,
it is minus -5 Celcius this morning and that is a great start to a good day of hunting,,,,the wind has seriously died off also,,, good luck !

and " PS !" you are in reg 7-20 but you are NOT in the 7-20a (ag-zone), pay SPECIAL attention to the regs for elk harvest details !

twr
09-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Another day and night of nothing, did see a wolf, 800 yards away heading down the rd, then turned into the bush. Gonna keep pounding ground here, call n call.

browningboy
09-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Look for black spruce pockets, always heard they like those spots?

twr
09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Another day nothing, went to Tate creek tonight, had a run in with a small BB. He took off pretty quick, would not have shot it. Gonna get back at her tomorrow around one island, maybe cross the river look for a cow elk.

big game chaser
09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
ya i just spent a week up there in 721 around the murry and a couple days over in delrio i think both are hun ted out used to be lotsa game all i saw was a doe and acouple bears all week pretty dissapointing for sure but i did see alot of nice Quads, toy haulers and rangers and i even bugled in a couple hunters!

twr
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Hahaha, well we have only seen 1 other hunter, local guy. And today another group of 4 hunters rolled in, there celebrating tonight lol. We have nothing to celebrate yet. We have gotten 2 reports from people that there has been a big bull at the south end of the lake. We set up there tonight, and within 10 mins not 200 yrds in the bush heard a pack of 5 wolfs start howling. Shit. I said to myself, and loaded the gun lol. They didn't show there faces. Neither did any moose affter that. I'm gonna keep pressure on that area. Set up the trail cam at a well used game trail X crossing. Lotsa track in there,keep in mind they have not seen rain in oover 15 days here. Its dry as a popcorn....you know what I mean. Tomorrow is another day.

twr
09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Yesterday we went for an all day hunt north of the kiskatinaw, didn't see anything, very dry as well. Did some bugling. Heard nothing. We were heading out, went up this steep hill that my partner had troubles with. Got to the top bugled, and got a response in the distance. First time ever! So we bugled back and forth he wasn't moving, and it was getting dark. So we headed out. Finally got to the exit of the trails we were on, and 2 hunter were loading there side x side. I went up and asked him if he was the elk I was bugling with. He replied, yes. Haha shit I said. Another day of nothing.

And this morning again not much. 3 wt does. Last night!