PDA

View Full Version : Missed a wolf today.

lovemywinchester
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Well I finally saw a wolf today after countless days in the bush hunting and hiking. I went for a hike to put out a trail cam in an area outside Kamloops I shed hunted last spring and I brought my old Winchester along. I was going deep into some thick bush to the top of a local mountain and I know there are mulies and WT in there so I was thinking the the old lever would be perfect if I saw a nice buck.

I started hiking at around 3:30 and it was pretty hot out today so after a 1/2 hour I stopped under a big fir to grab some shade and rest for a minute. I was on a hill over looking a small marsh and there was a finger of poplars that came to the edge of the pond. I saw something move in the poplars and I thought it was a doe at first, then it moved into the open and it was a coyote. Nope, way too big for a coyote! It was a nice sized wolf. I was pretty amazed as it froze and was looking in my direction. It must of heard me crunching in the needles and twigs under the tree. I saw some wolf turds in the area previously but to see one mid afternoon caught me off guard.

I figured it was 300 + so I lined him up and took some deep breaths. I was huffing a bit from the uphill hike so not to steady but I relaxed and squeezed off a shot. Missed clean and he took off into the bush. Google earthed it when I got home and it was only about 230 yds so I put it right over him I guess. Pretty bummed out I missed but cool to see one just the same. Not sure why I was so off in my distance, will have to work on that. If I had my 223 he would have been dead so I may have to get up there with the coyote gear and see if I can call one in.

I did find a nice 4 point shed and had a mulie snorting at me as it ran away, never saw it, so it was a good day in the bush regardless. Ended up doing a 6 km loop so the camera will sit for a few weeks before I get back up there. Oh yea, I didn't see the mulie because I just got high enough on the mountain to get some cell service and was texting my buddy about the wolf. Damn technology! Im texting while a big mulie is looking at me from 50 ft away.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/009.jpg

I always like to celebrate reaching the top of a mountain without having a jammer by sipping a nice warm Blue. Like Big Lew says, enjoy the fruits of your labour.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/010-1.jpg

The Dude
09-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Piss-warm Blue huh? You're a sucker for punishment, LMW :D

swampdonkey
09-13-2012, 10:27 PM
To bad you missed what region around kamloops

lovemywinchester
09-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Nectar.....

warnniklz
09-13-2012, 10:31 PM

it was probably punishment for missing a wolf and a mulie

lovemywinchester
09-13-2012, 10:32 PM
To bad you missed what region around kamloops

Lac du bois. I could see town from there. If only the dog walking families knew what was lurking in the bushes....

The Dude
09-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Lac du bois. I could see town from there. If only the dog walking families knew what was lurking in the bushes....

Yeah, a guy with a a lever action Winnie, a backpack full of warm Labatt's Blue and a texting addiction?
Yeah...... "If you go out in the woods today........ "
**Shudder**

lovemywinchester
09-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, a guy with a a lever action Winnie, a backpack full of warm Labatt's Blue and a texting addiction?
Yeah...... "If you go out in the woods today........ "
**Shudder**

ONE Blue. Lets get that straight before everyone gets their panties in a bunch. You need to always pack a can of beer in your pack to barter your way through a potential back road road block. Basic BC survival skills.

The Dude
09-13-2012, 10:57 PM
LMAO, troo 'dat :D

yota
09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
ONE Blue. Lets get that straight before everyone gets their panties in a bunch. You need to always pack a can of beer in your pack to barter your way through a potential back road road block. Basic BC survival skills.

LOL ROFL that is awesome but i cant think of any hand book or C.O.R.E. course thats says its part of BC survival skills but I totally agree.

ianwuzhere
09-14-2012, 04:28 AM
lol, survival in a can...
well at least u got a shot at the wolf, often they are too spooky, next time we will be seein pix of him on the ground!