PDA

View Full Version : First 2012 Stone Sheep Hunt. Its a bit of a long story

Robfriend
09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone, well I finally hadsome time to write my store out of my first stone sheep hunt this August. A buddy from work had asked me 10 days beforethe opening day if I had wanted to go do to his hunting partner couldn’t makeit because he tore the meniscus in his knee. I was so excited buttold him I would have to check with the wife because we just had a baby boy 2months before. After a few conversations, she agreed that I could go.
With no training and little time topack, that wasn’t going to stop me, see the hike in was going to be hard 10hours of kill me now but I’m young andin pretty good shape. Al came to myplace at 4 am on July 30th for the long drive north. We got there at about 9 pmdriving none stop; we pulled over and rested for the night. Early the nextmorning we got up, got our gear ready to start our adventure. It ended uptaking only 8 hours of steady hiking to get to our spike camp.
Our packs weighing about 70 pounds. We set upour tents in the rain and for the rest of the day just laid in our beds andlistened to the rain on our tents. The next day was opening day and when we gotup in the morning it was still raining and a little foggy. We had a bit to eatand went on our way farther up the mountain.
The rain let up and so did the fog abit and as I was glassing in a basin above camp I spotted 8 rams about 400yards away. The fog kept rolling in and out and with the spotting scope set up.The biggest ram was only 7/8 curl and was 7 years old. One other ram was about thesame, they will be legal next year. We could not really hike any higher due tothe low ceiling of the fog. We glassed what we could that day but didn't seeanything else.
Oh, last year when Al was there he met anotherguy Mike, in there and he and his dog were there again and we camped togetherand ended up hunting together. The next morning was a little better but the fogwas on and off all day. The fog was a little high and later in the afternoon wemet up with Mike and Sam (the dog) and did some glassing together. It was about2 pm, Mike showed us a Billy goat on the other side of the valley he wasthinking on going after but wasn’t sure, I told him that I would go since wehaven’t seen anything. It was a long way to go so late in the afternoon.
As we were glassing we spotted 22rams and they were running up the other side of the valley, like something waschasing them. They sure can cover ground fast. They finally settled down almostdirectly across from us about 3 km away. We watched them for a while and seenthat there was at least 4 good rams there. It took about a couple of hours ofsaying let’s go till finally Mike said ok ill go with you. See it’s about 4:30pm and in all our minds common sense said to wait till the morning but I’m hereto get a sheep so I’ll do what needs to be done.
It gets dark around 11 pm and it would takeabout 4 hours to get there. 2000 feet down straight running/sliding took 30mins we stopped at the creek stripped of our rain gear crossed the river and2000 feet up to where the rams were. Al hummed and hawed but stayed with Sammybecause it was too far for him. So he stayed there with Sam and watch from thisside of the valley. It turns out that Mike is in really good shape I washolding him up climbing up the mountain.

Brett
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
you better :)..........................

Robfriend
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
http://s1069.beta.photobucket.com/user/RobFriend/library/2012%20Stone%20Sheep%20Hunt

Ok hope this works

Spy
09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Great pics & story well done!

jrjonesy
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Congratulations on your hunt!

I don't want to be negative but it would be great if you edited your post by going back and inserting paragraph breaks about every 3 sentences. It is near impossible to read as is and paragraph breaks will mean FAR more people will read the post. Great pics!

springpin
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
You must have an English major jonsey.. Congrats on the sheep

frenchbar
09-12-2012, 04:16 PM
NICE !good stuff .i can post your pics for you if you would like so they show up on thread .

09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Great Story and Congrats on your hard work !

CT

whitetailsheds
09-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Awesome!! Love it!! Congrats boys!! Great to see those hills!!

Robfriend
09-12-2012, 05:24 PM
We reached the rams at 8:30 pm, wewere in perfect position and rams were only 30 yards away but couldn’t spot thelegal ones. Mike made it to a grassy mound and found 2 full curls I was on myway but had a young ram 15 feet from me and couldn't move. Mike waving me downto give me the first shot. The sheep were getting ready to run and we made eyecontact and we both knew I wasn’t going to make it Mike shoulder his gun shothis sheep. The group of 5 rams ran within 15 feet from me thought I was goingto get ran over.
They stopped on the ridge I pickedout the full curl and shot, I guess I aimed at the wrong spot because rocksexploded above him. They ran down and up onto the next ridge and I shot anothertime and yup I hit that air spot perfect, talk about having horn fever. I wasso mad with myself I pushed my body to the limits and I missed my chance. Aftertaking pictures, deboning Mikes sheep it was 11 pm. We got back to the riverwith around 70ish pounds it was 1 am.
We hiked up and made it back to campat 530 in the morning, there was several times I just wanted to curl up andcry. We slept until about 10 am thatday. Hung around camp for a while and then in the afternoon Al and I went outagain. We went to that spot where we spotted the rams the day before and wespotted 14 of them right away. 2 of the rams looked good. Crazy me said letsgo. Al said let’s get up at 4:30 am and we will come here and see where therams are and the make a play on them. That will give us all day to getter done.Rob agreed and we watched the rams until late in the afternoon. The rams werenot going anywhere so we went back to camp for a good night sleep.

We got to that spot at about 5:00 amand we spotted the rams in a perfect basin. We got to the bottom in about 30min. We I took off our long underwear and wore just the lightest of clothes forthe steep hike ahead. We walked up the river a little and found a spot where abunch of logs were swept to the bottom by a snow slide in the winter. So wegathered a bunch and built a bridge to cross. Once on the other side it was a 3hour hike almost vertical up a slide.
Al had a spot in mind to go to andwhen we arrived at that spot we dropped our packs got our rifles ready and thespotting scope out. Al crawled up to the ridge and looked over and the 14 ramswere only 385 yards away. We both agreed on which one was mine. It was an 11year old ram and the horns broke the bridge of the nose and he was legal and anice ram. That ram was bedded beside another ram that we had troubles judging.I found a good spot to shoot from and a good rest and just relax and practicedry firing at the ram while Al judge the other ram.
While I was acting patient, Al lookedat that other ram for about an hour. Then the wind quit and the scope steadiedand he got a really good look at the ram’s horns and he could easily age him at8. After double and triple checking. I looked over and he gave him a thumbs upand pointed and nodded. I smiled and took aim. I never did know if he was goingto shoot one or not. I pulled the trigger then I heard Al shoot and next thingyou know 2 rams where down. I was so happy we got up and gave each other a bighug. I told him that not too many guys would give someone a second chance withthe first shot.
Our rams died about 200 yards apartand it would have been a lot of work to get them together for a picture. It wasabout 10 am when we got the rams. Our packs weighted about 90 lbs going out. Itwas a tough hike out; we hiked down but were over several drainages so wefollowed the river through so super thick stuff. We made it to our make shiftbridge and then it was the 2000 feet up. It was so steep we ended up walkingright in the creek; it was like walking up stairs and was quite easy.
We got back to camp at about 8:30 pmand yes we were exhausted. Dinner then bed. The next day we rested and cappedthe sheep. The next day after that we broke camp and headed out. Our packs wereabout 100 lbs and it took us 6 hours to get out of the bush. Even though we hadthat long tough hike out with the sheep, I never did stop smiling, While hikingout all (who was in great shape and 15 years older) would stop and yell out andall I would say is “I’m coming” We rested only twice and both times all I couldsay was how great of shape he was in. I hope I didn’t bore you too much but itwas by far the best hunting trip I have very been on. I can say that now nowthat my blisters on top of my blisters have almost healed. Thanks for readingand now on to the next hunt.

I’ll try and figure out how to post some pictures

Robfriend
09-12-2012, 05:28 PM
well I tried to edit so it was a bit easier to read and it would work or I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. oh well

ElectricDyck
09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Awesome story congrats on a hunt to remember!

Krico
09-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Cool story, nice to hear an honest account including the blown chances. Congrats on the rams!

jrjonesy
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
well I tried to edit so it was a bit easier to read and it would work or I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. oh well

Thanks (and I'm sure from a lot of people). It's WAY easier to read now. Thanks for taking the time to share your story and congrats again on a great trip!

Swamp Rat
09-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

ydouask
09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Beautiful country, nice Sheep !

Hook or Bullet
09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Great story and pics - thanks for sharing!

kennyj
09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Awesome story!! I really enjoyed it. Congratulations on 3 fine rams. Sounds like you worked very hard for them.
Well done.
kenny

Dirty Steve
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice! Awesome read, I enjoyed every bit of it!. Very inspiring.

Congrats dude, great effort.

ianwuzhere
09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Awesome story and pix! You guys are pretty lucky to all get rams..
Good job, looks like awesome country!!!

cas-has-cars
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Well done and way to let us know how tough these hunts are. Time for me to go work out.

moose2
09-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Great story and pictures congrats on the rams. They are fun to hunt and can push your body and mind to the limits. Thats what makes them so great to hunt.
Mike

Mik
09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Great story, and its nice to hear that people can hook up to hunt together like that. congrats on all 3 rams.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
09-15-2012, 07:05 PM
A good story and a great hunt. Nice rams!

09-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Nice rams, you guys did well.

Sitkaspruce
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Here ya go

Great hunt, thanks for the story.

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/RobFriend/2012%20Stone%20Sheep%20Hunt/d4b9a591.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/RobFriend/2012%20Stone%20Sheep%20Hunt/bb3660ed.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/RobFriend/2012%20Stone%20Sheep%20Hunt/832666a3.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/RobFriend/2012%20Stone%20Sheep%20Hunt/b5f4ef58.jpg

Cheers

SS

Robfriend
09-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone, thanks SS for putting the pics up

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Nice Ram Rob ~. !.

d6dan
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Awesome hunt. Great sheep and thanks for taking us along..:-D

kootenayslam
11-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Good Job guys congrats!

yama49
11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Congrats, on some fine rams.. mike is def in great shape lol

BCbillies
11-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Congrats! That's quite the first sheep hunt especially with no training . . . you'll be back for more!