PDA

View Full Version : First day elk success

leadpillproductions
09-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Went to my elk spot sept 10th was going to climb the mnt and stay 5 days , but when I got there ford dully truck was in there so desided not to go up as they were there first. So next morning same spot no truck leave the truck at 445 am. Start the hr long hike in the dark in grizz country sucks to do it in the dark. Just about to the top with about half hr left of darkeness when a quad comes up behind me now I'm pissed. They pull up and before the shut bike of I'm like I guess u didn't see my f***in truck ,he's like we have been hunting here for 23 yrs . A little more swearing from me calmed down a bit had a chat with them how I didn't come up the day before cause someone was up here,they turned out to be ok ,they did give some info about area. So off hunting I go wind blowwing hard made calling or hearing inpossible. So aftfer a few hrs of wondering around see nothin but a small wt buck ,head back down . Going pretty quick as I'm only 150 yrs from truck,in the ravine to my left here a what I think was a deer take off no biggy blow on my cow call it stops . So I keep walkin scoots again dow I can smell elk there he is standing on the other side of DEEP ravine lift up the 7mmsaum just see his head so boom down he goes dumped bad bugger gets up wtf 1 quick shot threw the neck all over .first shot threw ear and into top of skull under right bace neck shot finished him a nice 5x5 . The bullet I pulled from skull was a 145 lrx only 110grains must have lost a pedel or 2. Can I email a couple pics to large to upload from cell

09-12-2012, 01:32 PM
KARMA was with you ..... did you rub it in their face upon their return ?? hahaha

Congrats to ya.

CT

leadpillproductions
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Lol I did leave them a note to watch for grizz as I killed a nice bull 150yrds back I did think that was a nice touch

Spy
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Good job putting one on the ground ! What was the guy on the quads problem freaking blind or what Inconsiderate to say the least ! If there is one thing I hate its hunters that don't give a flying F...k if you were there first ! Good job on getting my blood boiling im sure you were mad to! Glad you got your bull !

gitnadoix
09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
If there is one thing I hate its hunters that don't give a flying F...k if you were there first ! !

is there any written or unwritten rule on how much area I guy is allowed to stake claim to by being first ??/ If your the first boat to the Muskwa ramp does every one else have to bugger off ? buddy said he was startiing the 1 hour long walk.......Not sure how slow or fast he was walking but 1 hour would indicate there is a lot of country there. How was the guy on the Quad suposed to know what way the other hunter went.......

Its just my opinion but if you want to have privacy when you hunt yer gonna have to walk more than 1 hour from a road these days....

Ruger4
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
congrats Colin !!

Spy
09-12-2012, 02:46 PM
is there any written or unwritten rule on how much area I guy is allowed to stake claim to by being first ??/ If your the first boat to the Muskwa ramp does every one else have to bugger off ? buddy said he was startiing the 1 hour long walk.......Not sure how slow or fast he was walking but 1 hour would indicate there is a lot of country there. How was the guy on the Quad suposed to know what way the other hunter went.......

Its just my opinion but if you want to have privacy when you hunt yer gonna have to walk more than 1 hour from a road these days....
I will start a thread just for you and your type so as not to hijack Leadpills ! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?86281-What-would-you-do-!

leadpillproductions
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Just a small goat trail one way in. After we had a chat we desided where he would go and where I was goin. Once up there lots of area. Just a matter of cortasy if u know someone is up there leave the area like I did the night before

1 shot 1 kill
09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
great job on keeping you cool when the atv rolled up! thats hard to do sometimes, ive been there before..
great job on scoring on that 5x5! sometimes things just work out for the best after a dismall start..again great job!

leadpillproductions
09-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Heading back in there in the morning try and get a bull for my brother

leadpillproductions
09-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Pics r in my gallery could some one post pics on here thanks

moose2
09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Here you go congratulations on your bull he looks good.
Mike

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2012-09-10_09_49_53-1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2012-09-10_09_50_12-1.jpg

chola
09-13-2012, 03:38 PM
congrats on the bull, looks great

losta bloodshot there or does it look worse than it actually is

ianwuzhere
09-13-2012, 04:10 PM
hey hey, nice bull!
and head shooting too- ha.
Congrats- lotsa awesome meat there.. Good Job.. Gotta love it when things work out..

yota
09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on my trip up north i was calling in a bull on a cut line one morning when i had a quad drive right to me before he realized i was calling then he shut his bike off and said sorry quietly. I got one more bugle from the bull but nothing after that. I chatted with the guy and let him drive ahead and then slow worked my way the other way. It sucks when that happens but unfortionatly if your in a popular area unless you go far enough back your gonna bump into someone eventually.

Congrats though thats a great looking bull it'll good eats for sure I know the ones we got from there have been excellent so far.:-P

leadpillproductions
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
No blood shot just looks like it kill shot in the neck. Lots of blood .

5 spike
09-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Congrats a fine looking animal.

Islandbowhunter
09-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Oh man that looks great!

Hopefully I'll see something like that in my sights one day...

StoneChaser
09-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Congrats on a great elk, well done...field photos could use a little work though.

leadpillproductions
09-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Ya I forgot I had cell phone before I st!rted to quarter the front shoulder.

kennyj
09-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Nice bull. Congratulations.
kenny

Riverboatfantasy
09-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Good job putting one on the ground ! What was the guy on the quads problem freaking blind or what Inconsiderate to say the least ! If there is one thing I hate its hunters that don't give a flying F...k if you were there first ! Good job on getting my blood boiling im sure you were mad to! Glad you got your bull !

There is no such thing as a "who is first rule". Sooner or later you will encounter other hunters in an area. I will never turn back from a planned hunt because of somebody else being "first". Never.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Really nice elk! Good work.