PDA

View Full Version : Heading to region 8-1 with my 14YO daughter

Taurusguy
09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Hey everyone .. I am heading to region 8-1 to aid my Daughter in baggin her first Deer this weekend. What I would like is if someone could point me in a good direction for a white tail in that area. We will be near OK falls. No Honey holes plz (unless you really want too).. just a few pointers to help my young one get some success. Shes very excited. I have done some searches here but cant seem to find anything relevant to aid in this quest.

Any tips or advice would be helpful and MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

bassplayer
09-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Anywhere up behind the old Weyerhauser mill in OK Falls is good. I live in Penticton and hunt over that way quite a few times every fall. Lots of whitetail back there.

doubled
09-12-2012, 02:34 PM
There are lots of muleys too so make sure of what you are shooting at. Good luck, look forward to reading about her upcoming success.

Taurusguy
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the tips guys .. I will be heading up around past the wayerhouser mill. Hopefully come monday I will have some pics to share of my daughters first big game. Fingers crossed!

The Dude
09-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Yup, up past Weyerhauser is good, I've seen some dandy WTs up there. Also lots of orchards, etc that allow bowhunting by permission. If in OK Falls, go up the Allandale Road as well, might be some there. Kill Whitey!

Taurusguy
09-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I would love to bag a whitey .. I have been back up in that area .. but I have only ever seen 3 white tails in there that past few years. Mule does are a dime a dozen though. Finally got a LEH for one up in that area (put in for one for 5 or 6 years in a row now, they are hard to win!)

Taurusguy
09-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Had a successful Hunt this weekend. Our combined efforts landed us a 4x3 big bodied Mule deer (was bigger than my old man and he weighs darn near 280lbs). Daughter did fantastic! SUch a billie goat she is. My daughter and I walked all over the place bush wacking.

Pics to come.

Islandbowhunter
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Happy to hear you met with success! Sounds like an awesome animal, looking forward to the pics.

bassplayer
09-17-2012, 10:03 AM
That's awesome Rick. Congrats to you all.

Taurusguy
09-18-2012, 09:30 AM
OK .. I finally got my pics sorted out. Here is a pic of the big buck my daughter and I shot over the weekend. We had been hiking around all day saturday and had seen about 8 deer (4 of which we made a positive ID as does) the other 4 were gone in the blink of an eye. During our Saturday hiking and bush wacking I let my daughter lead the walk (her request) as she had watched me last year ... 8-10 paces .. stop .. look around .. check wind ... look some more .. repeat. She spotted a really big doe with her intuition as she decided to check a ravine that we could not see into from the little trail we were on. SHe spooked it .. it went to the right on her and through the bushes to head down wind to catch her scent. (i was overseeing her from the top of the ravine as she experienced her first solo deer finding.) We both heard it crack and thump in the bush down wind from her and i could see she was very alert as she was hearing the deer in the bush. The deer then snorted at her and stomped (couldnt see it but heard it) so i advised her to just come back up as the deer already busted us (not to mention it was a doe but she was having fun discovering it).

WE continued our long hike on some deer trails... and she found a 3 point white tail shed (She had prayed to find a 3 point to beat out grandpa as he has never shot a deer bigger than a 2 point) Funny way of answering the prayer haha .. anyhow we carried on and ended up back in camp about 4 hours later after seeing the 8 deer and 3 moose! (none of which was legal .. BUt whatever .. it was a great experience for her to witness the game doing their thing in the forest. All in all .. Saturday was a great day.

Sunday morning comes .. we are thinking we probably wont get anything since we are packing up camp at lunch time. So we head out to another spot were i frequently see does. We quad up to the bottom of the trail and head in on foot. WE are chatting quietly about how last year we ran into a doe that was walking right on this trail... right towards us. WE casually joke how funny it would be if this time it was a buck doing that instead of a doe... Well no sooner do we mention this a doe stands up that was bedded down in the shrubs out of our sight just over the edge of the trail. "thump thump thump" it hops up to the top of a knoll and stands there for a moment and loks back at us then hops over the edge of the knoll out of sight ... then2 seconds later we hear a BIGGER thump thump thump... Thats when the big Buck stood up and followed the doe! My daughter had my 30/06 up and fired a shot at it... it was MOSTLY broadside to us but not 100% .. it still headed in the direction of the doe. MY daughter was struggling to get another round in the gun and I backed her up and fired a shot too. When we got to it .. it had been shot 2 times. WOOTS! .. What a blast! ... OUr adrenaline was pumping ... and my daughter did fantastic. SO PROUD! Looking forward to some deer steaks!

http://i50.tinypic.com/33ddo47.jpg

My daughter was in there like a dirty shirt... holding legs .. and asking questions. No issues with the gutting. :)
http://i46.tinypic.com/wlwx2b.jpg

We go for a Doe in October! SOO STOKED!

Taurusguy
09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
BTW .. thats my old man in the 2nd pic prepping for the field dressing ... :P

bassplayer
09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Jeeeezus. The size of the body on that thing. Way to go guys. That's awesome.

Taurusguy
09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
It was soo heavy .. I could not drag it alone lol So i flagged my way out of the bush from where it layed and had to leave it to go find my old man to help me move it.

bassplayer
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I've seen heavy bodied mulies, more so in the rut but i don't think i've seen anything as close to the size of that pig from around here. I'm so stoked that everything came together for you all and hopefully we can meet up when you come down for your doe. If you pay me enough i'll stand guard at your camp to stop those cows from thrashing your camp site to pieces this time :-P.

Good Old Outdoors
09-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Congrats thats a nice start to the season!

Taurusguy
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys, I am excited to find out what it weighs on the hook after we dressed it out and cut out all the blood shot.
HAHA Gary .. I was pretty surprised to see my camping chairs trampled and the fire pit all stomped on. Hopefully in the future they continue to leave my trailer alone. >.<

Taurusguy
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Oh i got a question .. when is the rut in 8-1?

bassplayer
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys, I am excited to find out what it weighs on the hook after we dressed it out and cut out all the blood shot.
HAHA Gary .. I was pretty surprised to see my camping chairs trampled and the fire pit all stomped on. Hopefully in the future they continue to leave my trailer alone. >.<
I know who the culprit was. All the other cows were sitting under the trees but i did see this one cow all by itself nosing around your fire pit and since they all look the same, i wouldn't count on me picking her out of a photo line up for you lol.

Taurusguy
09-25-2012, 04:45 PM
So ... the weight is in on my meat pile from this beast. we got 145lbs of meat from it. WOOTS! I pick it up this week sometime. Looking forward to some yummy steaks and some pepperoni!

We head out back to ok for our doe at the end of oct. Can you say STOKED!?

Muliechaser
09-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Looks like a dutton buck to me :cool:

Congrats to you both on a nice buck!
The first of many.

Mc

OK .. I finally got my pics sorted out. Here is a pic of the big buck my daughter and I shot over the weekend. We had been hiking around all day saturday and had seen about 8 deer (4 of which we made a positive ID as does) the other 4 were gone in the blink of an eye. During our Saturday hiking and bush wacking I let my daughter lead the walk (her request) as she had watched me last year ... 8-10 paces .. stop .. look around .. check wind ... look some more .. repeat. She spotted a really big doe with her intuition as she decided to check a ravine that we could not see into from the little trail we were on. SHe spooked it .. it went to the right on her and through the bushes to head down wind to catch her scent. (i was overseeing her from the top of the ravine as she experienced her first solo deer finding.) We both heard it crack and thump in the bush down wind from her and i could see she was very alert as she was hearing the deer in the bush. The deer then snorted at her and stomped (couldnt see it but heard it) so i advised her to just come back up as the deer already busted us (not to mention it was a doe but she was having fun discovering it).

WE continued our long hike on some deer trails... and she found a 3 point white tail shed (She had prayed to find a 3 point to beat out grandpa as he has never shot a deer bigger than a 2 point) Funny way of answering the prayer haha .. anyhow we carried on and ended up back in camp about 4 hours later after seeing the 8 deer and 3 moose! (none of which was legal .. BUt whatever .. it was a great experience for her to witness the game doing their thing in the forest. All in all .. Saturday was a great day.

Sunday morning comes .. we are thinking we probably wont get anything since we are packing up camp at lunch time. So we head out to another spot were i frequently see does. We quad up to the bottom of the trail and head in on foot. WE are chatting quietly about how last year we ran into a doe that was walking right on this trail... right towards us. WE casually joke how funny it would be if this time it was a buck doing that instead of a doe... Well no sooner do we mention this a doe stands up that was bedded down in the shrubs out of our sight just over the edge of the trail. "thump thump thump" it hops up to the top of a knoll and stands there for a moment and loks back at us then hops over the edge of the knoll out of sight ... then2 seconds later we hear a BIGGER thump thump thump... Thats when the big Buck stood up and followed the doe! My daughter had my 30/06 up and fired a shot at it... it was MOSTLY broadside to us but not 100% .. it still headed in the direction of the doe. MY daughter was struggling to get another round in the gun and I backed her up and fired a shot too. When we got to it .. it had been shot 2 times. WOOTS! .. What a blast! ... OUr adrenaline was pumping ... and my daughter did fantastic. SO PROUD! Looking forward to some deer steaks!

http://i50.tinypic.com/33ddo47.jpg

My daughter was in there like a dirty shirt... holding legs .. and asking questions. No issues with the gutting. :)
http://i46.tinypic.com/wlwx2b.jpg

We go for a Doe in October! SOO STOKED!