PDA

View Full Version : hunting with a crossbow.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
I was wondering what you guys think of hunting with a crossbow?I know the true bow heads will say it should be banned,but I think if you can get to within 40 yards of an animal then does it really matter what you shoot it with.I have pondered the idea of getting a crossbow to extend my season and I was wondering what crossbows you like?any info would be appreciated .8-)

brotherjack
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, no..... here we go again.....

mark
11-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Big ol can o worms here, do you like to stir it??? Somebody lock it now!

Tinney
11-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Bait? Check
Rods in holders? Check
Downriggers away! Check

let the trolling begin........:lol:

J_T
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
The crossbow is legal archery tackle in BC.

It can provide access to a new way of looking at things.

One more excuse to get outdoors.

I'm sure there are more reasons to take it up. As for types of crossbows to get, I'm not an authority. Like any bow there are things to watch for and things to consider.

Enjoy

JT

Ubertuber
11-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Yipes! The OP should just do a search on this web site, you'll get more than enough reading on the subject.

Why open pandoras box...

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I dont even know Pandora.:lol:

Gateholio
11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not much of a bowunter, but I've used longbows, compounds and crossbows a little.

I used the Excaliber crossbows and felt they were excellent, and are widely praised by guys that know more than me, and if I was ot buy X-bow, i'd get one.

:lol:

Sideofabarn
11-21-2006, 10:33 PM
I keep wondering about them. They kill no better than a regular bow, but require far less time to be accurate and consistent to shoot. Physics weenies could tell you that the bolt loses energy faster than an arrow shot from a compound, and I guess the die hards call it cheating. I was told at the weekend that one needs a PAL to purchase one, but that, if true, must be very new, as a friend bought one a few months ago, and I was with him when he did, and I don't remember the store clerk asking for a licence. The unit being purchased was an Excalibur. I haven't heard how it performs... If you have been hitherto a rifle hunter, it is said that the crossbow is a good halfway between the the stick that goes bang and the bow. However, if you decide to buy one, for christ's sake (apologies to brotherjack) don't hoot about it on this site, or they'll be on you like a fat kid on a smartie.

blaker_99
11-22-2006, 12:04 AM
:lol: Of course its a well turned can of worms hunting with crossbows. As for me yes i do hunt with a cross bow as i blew my right rotater cuff a few years back and am not able to pull the draw....but i do try to do it every year it's getting better but like said earlier its another excuse to get out of the house and hit the bush. I use the Excalibur Exo-max fastest production cross bow on the market at 355fps and it is amazing to shoot. feels crisp and goes out with authority. I recently broke one of the limbs and they mailed a new one to me next day delivery. no charge!! great customer service and warrenty, my family now owns 2. I'd highly reccomend them cheers all

magicarrowman
11-22-2006, 12:14 AM
As much as I love hunting with my bow, I'd like to get my hands on one of the Excaliber crossbows. I still would opt to use my compound, just for the hitting power down range(40-60 yrds.), but I know those Excalibers "drive tacks" at 40 yrds. and seem really fun to shoot(personal opinion). Some people just don't have what it takes to be a really good shot with a bow,and if they were wanting to try and take an animal with a weapon other than a "boom stick",I personally don't see the harm in using a crossbow, unless its over 40 yards.

blaker_99
11-22-2006, 12:18 AM
one more thing to add to the excalibur exo max the groups are extremely tight, when i am sighting it in i only shoot one bolt at the block at a time as the accuracy is unbelievable and "robin hooding" is a deffinite possibility when shooting more than one bolt cheers.

Doe See Doe
11-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Can you use a crossbow to hunt during any open season?
I just got a Parker and am planning to use it next year,
so I went into the regs and on page three it says:

"The use of crossbows is permitted during special bow only seasons unless otherwise indicated under the reginal schedules"

I take that as: there are certain times and situations that I can't use a bow and must use a gun ?

dawn2dusk
11-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I have been thinkin of getting an excalibre xbow too. Heard very good thing about them. Glad to hear some postive feedback here as well. One of my huntin buddies was trying to talk me out of it cause he said because the animals often run after you shoot and adrenlin gets in the meat. Is this true? I am primarily a meat hunter so not interested if it affects meat quality.

rocksteady
11-22-2006, 09:26 AM
. One of my huntin buddies was trying to talk me out of it cause he said because the animals often run after you shoot and adrenlin gets in the meat. Is this true? I am primarily a meat hunter so not interested if it affects meat quality.

Thats a load of BS. The same thing occurs whether you shoot crossbow, bow or rifle, the only thing rifle has going for it is the initial impact shock to the animal. Whether it runs or not does not affect the meat..If you wound something (regardless of which weapon) and then have to follow it and dog it for 6 hours to finish it off, different story...

I shoot a Horton Hunter Elite 175 lb crossbow, highly recommend them. Nice groups, great accuracy, good speed etc. I picked the Horton over an excalibur because the Horton is a compound, which makes it quite a bit more narrow on the Axel to Axel width, which I prefer when I am hunting in thicker areas.

I don't think it really matters nowadays, as long as you go with a top end product (The $200 Barnetts from 10 years ago were crap) AND make sure all of your components are also top end (Arrows/broadheads/ etc etc)..

Don't scrimp on any part of the system and I am sure you will be good to go.

Would love to get back into shooting my compound, but with my torn AC on my left shoulder that's not goona happen til the surgeon fixies it..

Onesock
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Number 1) Remeber an arrow kills differently than a bullet. A bullet by shock an arrow by hemmoraging.
Number 2) 99% of the time an animal will run after being shot with an arrow, they do not fall down on the spot. Be sure of your tracking skills before shooting at an animal.
Number 3)Even crossbows have a large trajectory compared to a gun. They are way easier to use than a real bow but you will still need to practise quite a bit before hunting with one.

Onesock
11-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Just curious Biggy, why would you choose a xbow over a compound?

dawn2dusk
11-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Good advice Rocksteady re: top end components a must. I am thinking xbow cause I also have a damaged sholder. So if arrow kills by hemoraging and the game runs and lives longer than bullet shock kill would this not affect the meat? I am just thinkin the two deer i got his year flopped dead in their tracks and some of the videos I have watched on bow hunts the deer takes off sometimes up to 200yrds.

GoatGuy
11-22-2006, 09:41 AM
They're a great tool when it comes to bow season. They increase participation greatly, are easier to get a handle on and probably results in fewer lost animals when it comes to 'newbies.'

With a limited amount of time to practice they're the only way to go!

shawn28
11-22-2006, 09:45 AM
hey i have an excal xbow vixen 285 feet per sec 20 yards i can arrow my own arrow ill post a pic if u want a excal i know there a bit more but there well worth it http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/m/content/article.php?content_id=1

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
First of all I didnt start this thread to stir up any controversy,the bottom line is I love to hunt and spend time in the great outdoors.I am a very good shot with a rifle but I have never gotten into bow hunting,I would like to hunt late season mulies in region 8 and thought that an excellent crossbow would be fairly easy for me to learn .I also think that I will remain primarily a rifle hunter and that the crossbow would just extend my hunting season.I find it quite funny that alot of so called bow hunters also use rifles during the season but look at a crossbow like it is totally un ethical,when the new fancy compounds look like they were made on another planet. :lol:

rocksteady
11-22-2006, 09:50 AM
LIke I say, its a false statement about adrenaline, in a short period of time.

If you shoot a critter with good shot, it may run 50 or so yards, get dizzy and fall over. DONE>>>

If you shoot and hit one poor, leave him alone for at least 45 mins. Don't push it. It will lay down and expire.

If you hit one in the ass or shoulder and chase him all day to try to finish him off he probably will get adrenalized.

All of my animals when hit, didn't run at the shot. They have flinched or jumped, cause something went thwack and then they stop to see what the noise was.

I think a lot has to do with what the animal was doing at the shot. If it had its head down feeding, not on an alert of any sort versus It's head is up, he's licking his nose, stomping his foot, knows something isn't right.He's coiled like a spring to get out of there, just waiting to see or hear something to make him leave. A shot at this type of animal behaviour will make them run, not from the shot, just that they are on high alert to begin with..

Onesock
11-22-2006, 09:52 AM
GG- once again I have to disagree with your assumption. I don't think new xbow shooters will have fewer lost animals. You or I don't know for sure what the wounding rate for newbie's shooting xbows are and I don't think anyone should guess at this number as it may influence the newbie's decision to shoot/don't shoot at a critical time.

ratherbefishin
11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Don't worry about stirring the pot with the ''purists''-its rather laughable that someone who chooses to use a compound bow with the latest technology and electronic sights would look askance at a crossbow.The only archery ''purists'' use longbows and shoot instinctively-and probably make all their own tackle[my dad made yew bows and port orford cedar arrows which he fletched himself-and we had a lot of good times together].

All I care about is making humane kills, recovering your game, doing a clean field dressing job and putting it on the table properly prepared -the animal deserves no less.What your choice of weapons is is up to you.Never apologise for it.There's millions of idiots in the world willing to tell you you're are wrong-why agree with people like that?

GoatGuy
11-22-2006, 10:10 AM
GG- once again I have to disagree with your assumption. I don't think new xbow shooters will have fewer lost animals. You or I don't know for sure what the wounding rate for newbie's shooting xbows are and I don't think anyone should guess at this number as it may influence the newbie's decision to shoot/don't shoot at a critical time.

A newbie who's shot a xbow for 20 hours compared to a newbie who's shot a compound for 20 hours will be far more accurate. I was told there were right around 34 xbows sold a mountainscam in Cranbook last year the week before the any elk bow season. Personally, I'd rather see those be xbows than compounds and I know given that time frame there'd be far less animals wounded by those using xbows.

willyqbc
11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
First thing...i have absolutely no problem with anyone who chooses to hunt with a xbow. I do have a problem with the assumption that they are "easier" to shoot accurately. I don't want people getting the impression that they can just pick one up and a week later be good to go. They require just as much attention to detail as a conventional compound in my opinion and in no way are they "more accurate".....either weapon still depends on the shooter and his/her level of dedication. We were at a 3D shoot last year and I was talking with several fellows who had been shooting X-bows for several years and were very pleased to be allowed on the 3D course, the organizers gave them their own category as they thought with their x-bows with scopes etc that they would blow everybody else away and it wouldn't be fair. When the dust had settled I checked the scores and the one fellow would have been near the bottom of the top 10 scores, the other 2 would have been middle of the pack. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the "ease of use", "far more accurate" crowd.
So again...hunt with whatever you like, but don't take it for granted that the practice won't be neccessary. I could probably get a newbie "hunting accurate" with a rifle in a couple hours but it would still be irresponsible to send him/her out that way.

Just my opinion
Chris

dawn2dusk
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Makes sense Rocksteady. Think I will try it.

Onesock
11-22-2006, 10:18 AM
I agree 100% with Chris' post. No one should pick up a xbow a week before a season and go hunting with it. There will be way MORE wounded critters running around. Xbow's have to practised with, they are not guns!! Buy one, practise with it, get to know it and go hunting. I guarantee you will have alot to learn.

RiverOtter
11-22-2006, 10:40 AM
To clear up a previous post concerning the need for a PAL to purchase a crossbow, you don't need one. My xbow, doesn't even have an ingraved serial number and it was purchased 3 years ago.

I personally shoot a TEN POINT with Quad-Limbs and am very satisfied with it. I especially like the thumb hole stock and crisp trigger.

Number 1) Remeber an arrow kills differently than a bullet. A bullet by shock an arrow by hemmoraging.
Number 2) 99% of the time an animal will run after being shot with an arrow, they do not fall down on the spot. Be sure of your tracking skills before shooting at an animal.
Number

One Sock, A bullet kills by hemmoraging as well. The biggest advantage a bullet has(Quality bullets of course) is the ability to bust through large bones to reach the vitals. Shock is a result of massive blood loss.

I would say be sure of your shooting skills first and the need for tracking skills second, as the former makes the latter much easier.

RO

GoatGuy
11-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree 100% with Chris' post. No one should pick up a xbow a week before a season and go hunting with it. There will be way MORE wounded critters running around. Xbow's have to practised with, they are not guns!! Buy one, practise with it, get to know it and go hunting. I guarantee you will have alot to learn.

Agreed, but clearly that isn't the way it works. Ethics are inherent to a person, not taught.

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 12:02 PM
I admit that I shot aExcaliber crossbow 3 times at a target, went out the next day and killed a wild pig at 40 yards the next day. :oops:

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Gatehouse,I didnt realize you were a chef in Whistler ,I worked for Umberto as a chef in Whistler years ago.Do you know Ron Lamey is he still in Whistler? :lol:

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 12:20 PM
I still see Ron for itme to time, but he's not in whistler anymore...I think he may be in the Caymans? Known Ron for 20 years...

islandarcher
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
I do not want to stir the pot anymore than it already has, however I will add my two cents. My main issue with crossbows is that I feel a lot of people that use them are pure oppourtunists. Hunters that see oppourtunity and choose the easiest method available to go after it. Take the archery only elk season in Cranbrook, how many people that never had an intrest in archery went out and bought a crossbow for the specific intent of killing an elk during that week?

I choose to hunt with my longbow because I love bowhunting. I love the stalk, the waiting for the perfect shot and trailing afterwards. To me bowhunting is a pure sport that should be practised by those who truly love the thrill of creeping in close and taking your quarry at 10 feet (My furthest shot at an animal so far has been 12 yards), and those who appreciate the rich history that is bowhunting. It should be practised with love, desire and passion, and not for the mere expasnsion of oppourtunity.

rocksteady
11-22-2006, 01:06 PM
[quote=islandarcher]Take the archery only elk season in Cranbrook, how many people that never had an intrest in archery went out and bought a crossbow for the specific intent of killing an elk during that week?

Agree with you on this point, BUT, a lot of those people who were unsuccessful will be selling them in the want ads, because they had no idea how difficult ARCHERY hunting is Period..And now the figure might as well go back to rifle only..

Qoute ISLANDARCHER:I choose to hunt with my longbow because I love bowhunting. I love the stalk, the waiting for the perfect shot and trailing afterwards. To me bowhunting is a pure sport that should be practised by those who truly love the thrill of creeping in close and taking your quarry at 10 feet (My furthest shot at an animal so far has been 12 yards),

Being a former bow hunter and a cross bow hunter, I can tell you that the same stalk , techniques, distances etc apply to a crossbow. The only difference is the thing is already loaded for you. No need to draw back..You say you choose your longbow, I choose my crossbow. If we could swap left AC shoulder joints, I may consider swapping back to my compound..

I appreciate your love of longbow hunting, but the old body won't let me do it anymore, so I use the next available tool that still allows me to ARCHERY hunt..

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
I do not want to stir the pot anymore than it already has, however I will add my two cents. My main issue with crossbows is that I feel a lot of people that use them are pure oppourtunists. Hunters that see oppourtunity and choose the easiest method available to go after it. Take the archery only elk season in Cranbrook, how many people that never had an intrest in archery went out and bought a crossbow for the specific intent of killing an elk during that week?

I choose to hunt with my longbow because I love bowhunting. I love the stalk, the waiting for the perfect shot and trailing afterwards. To me bowhunting is a pure sport that should be practised by those who truly love the thrill of creeping in close and taking your quarry at 10 feet (My furthest shot at an animal so far has been 12 yards), and those who appreciate the rich history that is bowhunting. It should be practised with love, desire and passion, and not for the mere expasnsion of oppourtunity.

And all fishing shoudl be done wiht a fly, and rifle hunters should use iron sights and nobody ever use a quad and hunting with hounds is bad and using bait is bad and.......

8-)

Onesock
11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I wonder how the elk in Cranbrook feel about these new xbow hunters and how many elk got wounded ,if any, because of it. If one was wounded it was too many. Gatehouse, I feel that the pig you shot was extremely lucky.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-22-2006, 01:56 PM
The pig got killed ,how lucky is that ? :lol:

RiverOtter
11-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Gatehouse, I feel that the pig you shot was extremely lucky.

He forgot to mention that he stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before.:lol: :lol:

RO

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
[quote=Onesock]I wonder how the elk in Cranbrook feel about these new xbow hunters and how many elk got wounded ,if any, because of it If one was wounded it was too many.

You 're right, we shoudl completely cancel the bow season there. No telling how many beginners using compound bows were out there wounding..... So we will put you down for one vote to cancel the elk bow season?

Gatehouse, I feel that the pig you shot was extremely lucky

Yes, I agree-that pig was lucky to fall to a single well placed broadhead, rather than suffer. :lol:

Funny thing is that I did it again the next day!:eek:

Onesock
11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Should have run out and bought a lottery ticket then. I don't suppose you were hunting these pigs behind a fence were you?

rocksteady
11-22-2006, 02:17 PM
You 're right, we shoudl completely cancel the bow season there. No telling how many beginners using compound bows were out there wounding..... So we will put you down for one vote to cancel the elk bow season?

I hope you are being sarcastic about cancelling the season. I have seen tonnes of people who could not shoot a bow or x-bow worth a dam go out hunting elk...BUT I have also seen the same or worse from rifle hunters...

Within the first week of LEH opening here, the CO's found 5 shot and left elk at the city shit fields. NO ARCHERY INVOLVED...

What was happening was because of the very warm fall we had the elk would go into the fields to feed at night then leave at first light to go hide in the cool shade all day.The LEH "hunters" did not know where the elk were going so they would start flock shooting them even before legal shooting light, not knowing what they hit and what they didn't till they got to the spot. If they found 3 dead, they would take 1 (or how many ever tags they had) and then got the hell out of there....

I betcha that more elk are wounded and lost to rifles than to archery...If you shoot at an animal with a bow, the first thing you do is look for your arrow, to see if there is blood on it, plus they also cost $20 each...Whereas I have seen lots of rifle hunters shoot, say clean miss and leave, they do not even go check for blood...

todbartell
11-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Within the first week of LEH opening here, the CO's found 5 shot and left elk at the city shit fields. NO ARCHERY INVOLVED...

well, thats poachers using rifles, not rifle hunters.

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Well, the ranch did indeed have a fence around it, but we are talking a big area with a bunch of Russian boars running around on it, not some pig in a little cage.

And they run fast. So they aren't easy to hit unless you can get close to them wihtout alerting them, or if you take a stand and shoot at one going by. Just like making shots on animals in the wild.:lol:

While none of us considered what we were doing to be *real* hunting by our regular BC standards, it was a real fun way to harvest some prime meat. And all of this has nothign to do with the learning curve of a crossbow user.

The point I was making was simply that a guy that is fairly proficient wiht a rifle (like me) could practice a bit with a good crossbow, and be able to use it effectively, in short order. I took 3 shots with that crossbow the day befroe, at about 60 yards. All were easily within a 6" circle. So iIknew I was good to go for about 45 yards.

I woudl have prefered to pracitce more, but that's all the itme I had. Sometimes life is like that. As it was, I pased up many shots that I was not sure of, then pressed the trigger when I was sure. That's what we are supposed to do, right?8-)

To sum up- if the guy that buys a crossbow is a reasonably good marksman, and knows when to shoot and when to hold fire, he isn't going to be wounding too much game.

If he is a jackass and takes shots that he shoudln't, or that are beyond his known capability, then he is going to wound game regardless of weapon he chooses.

I

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 02:39 PM

I hope you are being sarcastic about cancelling the season. I have seen tonnes of people who could not shoot a bow or x-bow worth a dam go out hunting elk...BUT I have also seen the same or worse from rifle hunters...

What was happening was because of the very warm fall we had the elk would go into the fields to feed at night then leave at first light to go hide in the cool shade all day.The LEH "hunters" did not know where the elk were going so they would start flock shooting them even before legal shooting light, not knowing what they hit and what they didn't till they got to the spot. If they found 3 dead, they would take 1 (or how many ever tags they had) and then got the hell out of there....

I betcha that more elk are wounded and lost to rifles than to archery...If you shoot at an animal with a bow, the first thing you do is look for your arrow, to see if there is blood on it, plus they also cost $20 each...Whereas I have seen lots of rifle hunters shoot, say clean miss and leave, they do not even go check for blood...

I was just going wiht ONESOCKS suggestion...He was concerned that elk were being wounded during the archery season, so canceling it seems liek a good idea.:lol:

Fisher-Dude
11-22-2006, 03:08 PM

More elk may be lost to rifle hunters simply because of the sheer NUMBER of rifle hunters, not because a rifle, or rifle hunter, is less effective than a bow or bowhunter. But what percentage of shot animals are lost? If there are 1,000 rifle hunters shooting and 2 elk are lost, is that worse than 3 bowhunters shooting and 1 elk lost (an extreme example but illustrative)? What is the pro-rata percentage of elk lost to rifle versus bow, based on the hunter participation in the respective seasons? You will have to give me some statistics to back what you are saying, as it's purely conjecture on your part that rifle hunters are wounding more often.

To suggest that more rifle hunters than bowhunters don't follow up on their shots is pure conjecture as well, and I would need statistics to back that up as well, not just one person's observation or reaction to hearsay.

There are unethical dickheads (Firebird is nice enough to call them "poachers") in both camps, and it should be our goal to promote a good example and educate on good ethics instead of considering ourselves elitist by belonging to any given "group", and end up dividing the efforts of all hunters to enhance our sport.

Islandeer
11-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I think discussion over weapon choice is good, dividing the hunting community is not. It is just what the anti's want. And yes there are plenty of them in senior government wildlife positions too. Excluding a certain group of hunters because of weapon choice weakens the hunting movement. All of us need to support everyone who is involved with the ethical and fair killing of game animals. Divide and conquer,... the anti's would love too.

Onesock
11-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Gatehouse-Both of your last posts prove how ignorant you are when it comes to archery equipment and their seasons.

GoatGuy
11-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I do not want to stir the pot anymore than it already has, however I will add my two cents. My main issue with crossbows is that I feel a lot of people that use them are pure oppourtunists. Hunters that see oppourtunity and choose the easiest method available to go after it. Take the archery only elk season in Cranbrook, how many people that never had an intrest in archery went out and bought a crossbow for the specific intent of killing an elk during that week.

Islandarcher, you're right, the majority of all bowhunters are purely opportunistic. I'm MHO crossbows let them get in quickly and efficiently. It allows those who otherwise wouldn't get into bowhunting to give it a try. You've hit the nail right on the head; having said that, this isn't an issue which is inherent only to crossbows.

J_T
11-22-2006, 04:05 PM
well, thats poachers using rifles, not rifle hunters.Firebird, I'm not sure I would agree with that. I see it more in line with "hunters" making poor choices. Perhaps due to inexperience, and we all have a responsibility there.

The fact is, the elk were shot, by someone with a hunting license and tags for elk. That defines a hunter. Do we distance ourselves from our children when they make a mistake?

Gatehouse, I'm concerned, you appear to be allowing your emotion to hijack this thread. As a moderator, my expectation is that you have an even keel.

Statistically there is a 13% wound loss ratio with the bow. 80% of those wounded by bow survive. (Camp Ripley study involving 7,000 bowhunters over 2 years)

I have heard that rifle wound loss ratios are 27% (although I don't have documentation to support that. If someone can correct me I would appreciate it)

In terms of sheer numbers there are a lot more rifle shots/harvests than bow, therefore actual numbers of animals wounded by rifle far exceeds those wounded by bow.

In fact, we have hijacked this thread from the original post. The truth is, a crossbow is another opportunity to enjoy a hunt. Take it.

JT

Islandeer
11-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Having re-read Island archers post It seems that he would prefer if there was a little less competition for the elk he pursues with a bow. Wouldn't we all prefer a little less competion in our favourite spots. The fact is the animals in BC belong to everyone, the same for people new to the hunt as the person with 30 years in. And yes hunters are oppurtunists,thats how we evolved. We saw an oppurtunity to kill an animal and we took it,albeit with spear,bigger rock, or whatever. My message again fellas is that nit-picky infighting amongst the hunting community will bring the whole thing down

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Gatehouse-Both of your last posts prove how ignorant you are when it comes to archery equipment and their seasons.

No, it proves that I have spent enough time wiht various weapons to adapt to a some new ones (not all) reasonably well, although not perfectly,:lol:

It also proves I have a sense of humour.8-)

Rainwater
11-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Goatguy, You might be interested to know that CO's and some Regional Biologists have great concerns about the wounding by Newbie Xbow shooters so I believe you are incorrect there. However the UBBC and other Archery organizations are presently representing Bowhunters using legal archery tackle in our Province. Go for it XBOW guy!!! Practise lots.

Gateholio
11-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Gatehouse, I'm concerned, you appear to be allowing your emotion to hijack this thread. As a moderator, my expectation is that you have an even keel.

Thanks for your concern, and defining your expectations of me JT, but it's not needed, as I am not emotional, nor do am I staying up at night because your expectations aren't met. 8)

The thread is about crossbow hunting, I htink we are still discussing crossbow hunitng, so I see no real hijack here...

Islandeer
11-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Which areas are you speaking of? Some of the regional Biologists do not have a clue what is happening in the field. A quick look at their paranoid seasons in the kootenays shows that. As for the Co's, well nice to see some concern.

Rainwater
11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Princeton and the Island is where I discussed concerns with bios and co's. As per the original post if they are considered legal to use in a bow season I support that.

~T-BONE~
11-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I admit that I shot aExcaliber crossbow 3 times at a target, went out the next day and killed a wild pig at 40 yards the next day. :oops:

Yup my dad and I are guilty as well opening day archery for Bt!! Kinda like Tarpmans post (2 bucks in 4mins!) except it ours was like 2 bucks 15 min apart and one crossbow! While gutting the ol'mans 3x4 we looked up only 35 yrds away to see a 3x3 watching us passed the bow and down he goes!

Yeah they are pretty fool proof as we only practisced twice and a week later the 2nd hand $200 bow paid for itself!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/sept_1_cbow.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3055&cat=500&ppuser=1677)

brotherjack
11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Wow, two pages into a crossbow thread, and things are still pretty close to civil conversation here. It genuinely makes me happy to see that we're not at each other's throats as in years past. This is a Good Thing (tm).

farside
11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I purchased a Barnett Revolution a couple of yrs ago so I could enjoy archery season. I could not pull a bow for the life of me as I have broken my arms 3 times :-( . As with anything - practise practise practise and it is as easy to practise a crossbow at home in your backyard as it is a regular bow as long as you have the distance. Because of this you tend to practise more - or at least our family does. Side benefit is the daughter loves it. NO KICK. She will shoot that thing for hours if some poor fool will stand there and pull it for her.

Islandeer
11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks Rainwater. I am curious as to what the biologists true concerns were. Were they concerned about the fate of the cripples, which will be picked up by and ate by something. Or about their limited harvest special season being harvested beyond their expectations. My gut tells me mostly the later, as an extra bow season looks good on paper but in reality fewer animals are taken than the rifle season. But you throw in the crossbow and their plan changes. Interesting stuff, there is always a slant to anything the wildlife branch does. Sadly they base a lot of there descions on political pressure. I grew up in a wildlife biologists house so have some insight in this regard. Crossbows,guns,bows, they all kill the same. Just don't be a knucklehead with them.

Deerwhacker
11-22-2006, 09:28 PM
The only diference between injuring an animal and making a clean kill is how ethical the hunter is. it is the hunters responsibility to make sure they are proficent with watever equipment they are using if someone shoots 10 arrows at 40 yards and one misses a paper plate then dont shoot an animal at 40 yards (seems simple enough eh).i dont shoot past 35 yards and i pass up alot of animals that i would take when bowhunting because of sertan situations like not quite the angle i want, a couple of twigs in the way or something thats 36 yards away.

In my kooteny bow hunt this past september i passed up on a 4 point whitetail that woke me up from napping stillhunting a creek bed( he walked to within 10 yards and almost walked over top of me if i dident wake up) because there where a couple of small branches infront of his goddy box bout 5 yards in front of him when he was 20 yards broadside. another example is a cow elk that was fair game was walking by my treestand and i help up even though she was 25 yards because she was at a slightly quartering to me angle and the secont shooting lane i had she was moving.
Each time i pass up on a animal i would take I say to myself " at least the thing isent walking around in the bush with a arrow sticking out of it.

Another thing to ponder is the wounding rate by experienced archers.im talking archers not bowhunters here.people who shoot good groups at 70 yards with there compound when shooting at the archery range should take into account that even if you can put an arrow where you want it at that yardage by the time the arrow gets to the animal the animal has plenty of time to move to turn your lung shot into a rump shot.

Back to the crossbows...
the exomax looks pretty good but there are plenty of bows that shoot faster.the exo max shoots something like a 300gn arrow for ther 355fps and you can get xbows that shoot 350fps with a 475gn arrow .just somehting to through out there. the excalibur seems tempting though because of the reliability you get without all the cams and cables.they are also was lighter.

Rod
11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Well I shoot a recurve and obviously need more practice since I have already missed two deer this year, my GF on the other hand bought a Xbow this year and after much practice could put all her rounds inside the kill zone at 40yds and set her hunting limit at 25 and now has a freezer full of meat and a cape ready for the taxidermist.

As for wounding game I guess we should just cancel all forms of hunting if there is the off chance of wounding something, I have seen more rifle hunters that just pull the deer gun off the rack every year without ever going to the range and let fly at whatever they see. I am not sure but I doubt many archers do the same with xbow, traditional or compound.

I also read a story of an American hunter who was shot with a broadhead in the abdomen, he survived and claimed the shot was painless.

Finally how many times have you heard of an accidental shooting with a bow compared to rifle, the story I mentioned is the only one I know of and it was in Outdoor Life about 20 years ago.

FWIW I hunt with rifle and compound and target shoot with a homemade xbow (250lb draw car spring for a bow) the reason I don't hunt with my homemade xbow is that it's not accurate enough. My GF can shoot circles around me and my recurve any day of the week.

Beverly
11-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I was wondering what you guys think of hunting with a crossbow?

I have pondered the idea of getting a crossbow to extend my season and I was wondering what crossbows you like?any info would be appreciated .8-)

I LOVE it! I have always hunted with rifles and although introduced to a cross bow early in life I never saw it as anything but less likely to put meat in the freezer due to how close one must get.

What I like about them now is that it gets me going places I may not have ventured before. More hiking / more scenery / more fun stalking (albiet less likely odds but that's not my goal in general). I never had much interest in archery at all until Rod started playing around with his bows....I felt his compound / recurve and such were not for me...they look complicated / fragile and I would prefer something to compliment my hunting not complicate it 8-) .

Given this is my first year doing archery-anything I like the fact that once close enough my cross bow is already cocked and I don't scare the beast with a draw. 2 times this season I have watched Rod SCARE a deer enough to move/miss the shot on the draw with his bow ( me giggling from the sidelines knowing had I been standing beside him it would have been downed easily) . I'd rather not scare them after all the patience to get close enough for a shot lol.

Oh...and I started off with a Barnett-knock off because I was not certain I would like it. Now I am looking to buy myself a good one for Xmas from me :) .

...I have not picked up a rifle all season this year either...I have used the cross bow only.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi Beverly,Thanks for the info and congrats on your nice buck.....let Rod shoot his bow,and you keep kicking his ass .take care and happy holidays. :lol:

Rod
11-23-2006, 11:46 AM
All I can say is that if i have to get my ass kicked Bev is the one I prefer to do it. Not only is she a good shot (due to high quality instruction of course http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif) she is also one of the best hunting partners I have had even if I do hear about my lack of sucess EVERY DAY!!!

Kissup mode off :-)

Elkhound
11-23-2006, 12:22 PM
The only other thing I might add is if you are planning any hunting trips to places such as Alberta for a nice Elk/Mulie hunt like I am for next season. Know that crossbows are not allowed for archery only seasons. So make sure you look up all the rules of an area before you hunt.

Rainwater
11-23-2006, 01:29 PM
DeerWhacker, I hope you had an LEH on that Cow you passed up. We lost that any Elk season this year. The year we had any Elk they sold 1725 more tags than the year before. Wow, I guess there are SOME bowhunters around. Wake up govvy!!!

ARC
11-23-2006, 01:38 PM
DeerWhacker, I hope you had an LEH on that Cow you passed up. We lost that any Elk season this year. The year we had any Elk they sold 1725 more tags than the year before. Wow, I guess there are SOME bowhunters around. Wake up govvy!!!

There was still an antlerless bow only season on elk in the kootenays this year. Regions 4-2 to 4-6, 4-20 to 4-22, 4-26, Sept 1-9.

Elkhound
11-23-2006, 02:16 PM

And crossbow companies sold 1700 more crossbows:lol:

GoatGuy
11-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Goatguy, You might be interested to know that CO's and some Regional Biologists have great concerns about the wounding by Newbie Xbow shooters so I believe you are incorrect there. However the UBBC and other Archery organizations are presently representing Bowhunters using legal archery tackle in our Province. Go for it XBOW guy!!! Practise lots.

It isn't only with newbie xbow shooters - that includes newbie bowhunters.

That's a new stance for archery organizations, must not have been popular before. Before they wanted xbows thrown in with rifles 'cause they have a trigger. Me, me, me.

I like the new idea, but wonder about the motives.

willyqbc
11-23-2006, 05:34 PM
It isn't only with newbie xbow shooters - that includes newbie bowhunters.

I think that could amended to read "newbie hunters" period. Education and mentoring is key whether you use rifle or archery tackle.

Chris

rocksteady
11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Been out of town for a day or so, had to catch up on the thread.

It's all about ethics. Yes, there are a lot of guys who went out aand bought x-bows to take adavantage of the season, but saying that alot of these "newbies x-bow hunters wound animals is crap..Yes there proably is some, however there are a lot of newbie hunters of any weapon who wound animals too. Be it bow hunting (compound), traditional (longbow) or even firearms...

Yes shooting with a cross bow and longbows take awhile to ge the hang of, and in a perfect world eveery one who bought one would practice ona daily basis until they were absolutely proficient. There are people who are not proficient in the use of their firearms, blow the 3 inches of dust off the gun around the 9th of September, go to their "camp" take 2 shots at a 5 gallon oil jug or something like that and say "she's good to go" and they are hunting. They are lucky if they shoot a box of shells per year, as compared to an individual such as Firebird, who is so intense about shotting that he probably goes through 500 rounds from numerous field positions to become proficient witht heir weapon of choice.

I think it was unfair to paint those that are new to bow hunting as incompetent and wounding a lot of animals. There are similar losses from every sort of weapon, and ethically as long as you have practiced to teh point where your competency is dead on all ranges/all field shooting positions/patience to get the perfect shot...Some animals will be lost.

I missed you guys, couldn't wait to get back on this thread...

GoatGuy
11-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I think that could amended to read "newbie hunters" period. Education and mentoring is key whether you use rifle or archery tackle.

Chris

You got 'er 100%

Dad and son
11-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I would like to put my 2 cents in as well. First regarding the brand of crossbow. For anyone considering buying a crossbow they should consider TenPoint crossbows http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/ I believe from my research they are superior to the other main crossbow brands on the market like xcalibur. I have 2 for me and my sons and they are excellent. My kids love to shoot them as they have an easy cocking mechanism.
Second, several people on this thread have talked about how much practice is needed to shoot a crossbow. I guess that should vary from person to person. Here is a photo of my 12 year old with his first 4 shots ever with a crossbow at 40 yards. Now 2 things to consider, he is an accurate shot with a rifle taking one deer at 75 yards free hand and a head shot as that is all he could see and another deer at 250 yards with a rest. I had also sighted in the crossbow before he shot. My 11 year old son had similar results and so did my brother. I think the amount of practice will be determined by the type of crossbow and the shooting experience of the operator.

bow guy
05-03-2007, 08:00 AM
The crossbow still shoots arrows and you can shoot any further that a bow and arrow. I now a bunch of people that shoot crossbows that all shot all types of bows before. But because of physical problems due to work or just old age, they had no choice if they wanted to keep going into the outdoors they had to switch. I think there is nothing wrong with the crossbow. So I think everyone out there should be a little more open minded as they are shooting arrows, and I have never hunted with a crossbow but have tried some over the years.

Rainwater
05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Rocksteady, Just for your interest when the bio offered up the any elk season all over Region 4 they sold 1100 more Elk tags that year. Must be some interest in bowhunting hey.

Bow Walker
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I would like to put my 2 cents in as well. First regarding the brand of crossbow. For anyone considering buying a crossbow they should consider TenPoint crossbows http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/ I believe from my research they are superior to the other main crossbow brands on the market like xcalibur. I have 2 for me and my sons and they are excellent. My kids love to shoot them as they have an easy ****ing mechanism.
Second, several people on this thread have talked about how much practice is needed to shoot a crossbow. I guess that should vary from person to person. Here is a photo of my 12 year old with his first 4 shots ever with a crossbow at 40 yards. Now 2 things to consider, he is an accurate shot with a rifle taking one deer at 75 yards free hand and a head shot as that is all he could see and another deer at 250 yards with a rest. I had also sighted in the crossbow before he shot. My 11 year old son had similar results and so did my brother. I think the amount of practice will be determined by the type of crossbow and the shooting experience of the operator.
Good post Papa - but you forgot to include the picture:confused:

Will
05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Crossbows Rock...........
Every Mall Ninja has one http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/onCrack.gif

http://glass.tvu.ac.uk/~chi/ninja/images/xbow.jpg
:lol:

Rainwater
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
I saw that guy in the Christian Valley riding around in the back of truck last year.

GoatGuy
05-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Rocksteady, Just for your interest when the bio offered up the any elk season all over Region 4 they sold 1100 more Elk tags that year. Must be some interest in bowhunting hey.

1100 tags? Which year?

GoatGuy
05-04-2007, 03:54 PM

1100 more elk tags?

I thought that hunt occured in 2005?

Rainwater
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Goatguy, Yes that hunt was in 2005, they canned it last year as they were trying to hone in on the homesteader Elk, not backcountry Elk. There may have been other circumstances that led to that increase in sales on Elk tags but I'm goin with that theory according to the locals and the amount of bowguys I saw out there. It was a great opportunity with a low harvest snatched away from the bow fraternity for no real good reason.

Walksalot
05-04-2007, 06:52 PM
If proficiency testing was to be mandatory I would have a sneaking hunch that crossbow sales would sky rocket.

hunter1947
05-05-2007, 06:35 AM
When shooting with a xbow ,i would like to know when shooting at it what is the best angle ,i have been told that quartering away from you is the best time to take the shot ??????. Also i would like to know if it is ok to shoot the animal if it is broad side of you ?????. hunter47.

J_T
05-05-2007, 06:57 AM
With an elk - as with most animals, the broadside shot is the most preferred shot. Having the animal standing silently, looking away from the shooter is also preferred:lol:. It is often difficult to determine "exactly" the angle of the animals body, a quartering away shot, while second best, does run a risk of the arrow having to initiate its entrance up through the entrails so to speak. Slows the arrow down. A double lung, within the plural cavity is best.

One lung plus the heart is also good. But a one lung shot alone is not always going to bring the animal down.

JT

J_T
05-05-2007, 06:58 AM
If proficiency testing was to be mandatory I would have a sneaking hunch that crossbow sales would sky rocket.
Might as well make intelligence mandatory too then.:lol: hmm I guess that might be counter productive to recruitment though.:|

Walksalot
05-05-2007, 11:43 AM
"The crossbow known as the "Western Bow" was popular, and it appeared all over Western Europe from the 11th through the 16th centuries. It is simple and rectangular in section, with a quarrel (bolt) groove and metal sideplates. It is one of the most widely depicted crossbows in medieval manuscripts and paintings."

GoatGuy
05-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Goatguy, Yes that hunt was in 2005, they canned it last year as they were trying to hone in on the homesteader Elk, not backcountry Elk. There may have been other circumstances that led to that increase in sales on Elk tags but I'm goin with that theory according to the locals and the amount of bowguys I saw out there. It was a great opportunity with a low harvest snatched away from the bow fraternity for no real good reason.

Percentage increase in elk hunters in 2005 based on a 3 yr average:

4E 29.8%
4W 23.8%
6 28%
7A 14.6%
7B 13.8%
8 33.8%

Provincial increase of 21.9%

Actual change in tags for 4E based on 3 yr average = 1530 elk hunters
Average elk hunter numbers over 20 years 8728

As you know there was no antlerless bow season in 4W, 6, 7A, 7B or 8 despite significant increases in all regions and region 8 with the greatest increase.

Enjoy

Rainwater
05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Now back to the exciting world of Cross Bow Hunting. I think I hijacked this thread with my Elk tag increase comment. Sorry.

hunter1947
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I will get a xbow and i will hunt with it this year for elk and i will be putting a 6 inch group in the target at 30 yards befor i head out to hunt the first of sept. hunter47.

Bow Walker
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Wayne, have you decided which one it is that you're going to get?

hunter1947
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Wayne, have you decided which one it is that you're going to get? Yes i will get the excaliber vintage ,it is the one that Curliss has ,he is selling it to me for a real good price. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Rainwater
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Good Luck on your Crossbow Elk hunt 1947.

Bow Walker
05-08-2007, 12:04 PM
As always....don't forget the camera.

hunter1947
05-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Good Luck on your Crossbow Elk hunt 1947. Thanks Rainwater ,will try my darndist to get one with the cross bow. 8) hunter47.