PDA

View Full Version : Moose rut around PG

kebes
09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I've been hearing a couple of different things and just wanted to figure this out so we're not calling to early. Does the rut start firing up more in the third week of september or the fourth week?

Spy
09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Last year i called one in around the 20 Sept in 7-27 he was just going into the rut ! Hope this helps !

tomahawk
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
The answer to your question is "peak" of the rut for big mature bulls is last week of Sept and first of Oct every year, year after year. That doesn't mean you can't catch em with a call outside that time, thats just the best time to catch em while there mind is gone wacko. Smaller bulls will be answering to the call now through mid Oct, they start rutting earlier and go later but do not get as rut crazy as the mature bulls.

Moosehunter64
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
If the conditions are right they will rut usually anywhere between the 3rd or 4th week of sept to the 3rd week in oct. Just have to be out there to catch it.

ElliotMoose
09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
We find the bulls are most responsive in the last week of september. The temperature drop really kicks things into gear. A nice cool crisp morning with frost on the ground is ideal

junkyard_g
09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
called a mature bull into the kill oct 20th 2 yrs ago. wide window to work with....no such thing as too early or too late.

jml11
09-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I called in a mature bull Sept 23rd in 2006, shot him at 15 yards...he was definitely hot for the cows. Actually heard a cow calling that morning as well.

moosecaller
09-12-2012, 12:43 PM
You can't call too early or late call all the time moose are not silent outside the rut, this is how they talk. Cows call young ones' little ones call for Mom. Other moose hear it and will come to see what's up. All aside the call window is most likely best last week of Sept. to the beginning of the third week in Oct. but it does extend in both directions the "peak" is somewhere in the middle, and it is days long as well. Confused yet?

kebes
09-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys!

ekul246
06-29-2022, 09:51 AM
An experienced friend of mine told me that he thinks the rut is now the first two weeks of October because the season seems to have moved a bit later from what it used to be. Got a shared moose draw this year so doing all the research I can.

Arctic Lake
06-29-2022, 10:21 AM
I took 3 bulls 1 hour North of Prince George . 1 was slightly larger than an immature the other 2 were 46” and 47 “ across .
All 3 came to cow calls using cupped hands a little before Thanksgiving . They came in 20 minutes after calling .
They were all great eating IMO .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-29-2022, 10:23 AM
What M.U. are you hunting ?
Arctic Lake

MRP
06-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Moose don’t rut in PG, they just roll the first hunter that comes along, steal his cell phone then he dials a 1-900-HOT-COWS

ekul246
06-29-2022, 01:35 PM
What M.U. are you hunting ?
Arctic Lake
I have the draw for MU 7–11.

ekul246
06-29-2022, 01:36 PM
Would you agree that the rut is the first two weeks of October or still the last week of September and first week of October?

srupp
06-29-2022, 03:09 PM
hmm while from sept 26 on you CAN call in bulls mid sept-late sept bulls are still sorting out their competition not companions..
IMO 100 mile north the best time is OCT 1-15..PRIME RUT hence the drop in authorizations..with same success as earlier timing with twice the number of authorizations in Sept
oct is obviously the peak...from SWAN lk on Yukon..to Atlin to Dease etc oct 1-15
over 35 yearsmost black bears shot after 3pm on mothers day..moose oct 7....last 6 moose i was present on harvest oct 1-6th..3 on oct 1..one on oct 10...cold year..
yes you can call in a early adopter in sept..or exceptionally horny...
the rut is triggered by amount of light entering their eyes..not temp..indicating timing
srupp

Bustercluck
06-29-2022, 03:43 PM
An experienced friend of mine told me that he thinks the rut is now the first two weeks of October because the season seems to have moved a bit later from what it used to be. Got a shared moose draw this year so doing all the research I can.
It’s probably just as good a bit later in the season as well. Where I live it seems like everything stops by November first though.

I try and be out the last week of September into the first week of October depending on where my days off line up.

HappyJack
06-29-2022, 05:59 PM
Moose don’t rut in PG, they just roll the first hunter that comes along, steal his cell phone then he dials a 1-900-???_????

LOL

I believe the peak rut around PG is the first 2 weeks of October, and I've never lost a cell phone to one yet.

srupp
06-29-2022, 06:22 PM
It’s probably just as good a bit later in the season as well. Where I live it seems like everything stops by November first though.

I try and be out the last week of September into the first week of October depending on where my days off line up.

timing true that..
srupp

moosinaround
06-29-2022, 09:43 PM
PG moose rut is best the last week of September to the 3rd week of October. Cold high pressure systems seem to make the bulls pretty active, in my opinion! You should be able to call out a bull during this time! The moose numbers have gotten better since we stopped killing the babies and the mamas, and we started killing the predators!! But what do I know, I'm only moosinaround up here!! moosin

Arctic Lake
07-01-2022, 06:59 AM
Sorry I can’t help you with that MU never hunted in that one !
The Rut is triggered by daylight ,the lack of it . Yes the weather is a part of it as it gets the animals moving . Take the information the experts are sharing with you ,it will help . I’m not an expert ! Don’t sit back or get lazy until you have a moose down . When all the work is done relax and have a good time ! Stay safe and Good Luck !
Arctic Lake
I have the draw for MU 7–11.

Retiredguy
07-01-2022, 07:17 AM
You have gotten some good advice on the rut from a few of the guys here. I live just out of that area in Region 6. Started hunting moose in the area south of Fraser Lake way back in 1970. Today is a lot different but mating seasons are mating seasons. srupp gave you some good stuff as have a couple of others. I have successfully called out bulls from about Sept 10 right through to early November...but some is rut interest and some is just curiosity to moose talk. It is easier for locals if the draw to watch the weather and etc etc go out when the rut is really smokin but when you live in the suburbs and have to book time off it is a different situation. I would concentrate my efforts from Sept 25 to Oct 10 and if I just had a week it would be the first week of October.

ekul246
07-01-2022, 12:41 PM
You have gotten some good advice on the rut from a few of the guys here. I live just out of that area in Region 6. Started hunting moose in the area south of Fraser Lake way back in 1970. Today is a lot different but mating seasons are mating seasons. srupp gave you some good stuff as have a couple of others. I have successfully called out bulls from about Sept 10 right through to early November...but some is rut interest and some is just curiosity to moose talk. It is easier for locals if the draw to watch the weather and etc etc go out when the rut is really smokin but when you live in the suburbs and have to book time off it is a different situation. I would concentrate my efforts from Sept 25 to Oct 10 and if I just had a week it would be the first week of October.
Looks like this may be what we do.

Keep the good advice flowing! Srupp has also given me his number so I’ll be picking his brain on tips and info once I have a chance to sit down with my notebook and get on the phone.
appreciate the info. This is the HBC I liked when I first joined and this being my second draw ever, the first one was a lost cause, we’re going to give it a good hard try.

ekul246
07-01-2022, 01:04 PM
As far as scents and such, I’m trying to find some real cow moose urine to soak some tampons or wicks in and to hang while out calling. Suggestions?
For calling, just use hands while cow calling and grunting or should I use one of those birch bark tubes? Or even an elk tube, which I already have?

HappyJack
07-01-2022, 05:56 PM
As far as scents and such, I’m trying to find some real cow moose urine to soak some tampons or wicks in and to hang while out calling. Suggestions?
For calling, just use hands while cow calling and grunting or should I use one of those birch bark tubes? Or even an elk tube, which I already have?

We played with scents a bit for elk, like an incense stick you put under a bucket that has some holes in it, moose came to check it out. Other than that I've never used scents while moose hunting. I use cupped hands while calling, seems I always forget the birch bark call in the camper.

Where you planning on setting up camp in 7-11? Some areas are a bit better than others, I know after over 50 years of hunting around there.

MRP
07-01-2022, 06:48 PM
FUNNY guys, the rut is early or late several times I really laugh when I hear some say there's no rut this year because of weather. But the caves show up the same time each spring.

Bustercluck
07-01-2022, 07:46 PM
There’s some good threads on calling moose on this forum if you do a a few searches.

For me and I’m not an expert. Just cupped hands and do loud cow calls every 20 minutes. Start your call on the left and move your head up to the sky and then back down to the right on every call. High pitch until you get a tickle in your throat. I wouldn’t grunt until I heard another bull grunt at me first.

Probably more important is where to call. Find a spot where you’ve seen fresh sign. Try and set up in a spot where it’s a bit open but you have some tree cover. Force the bull to poke his head out of the trees and come out in the open. They seem to come towards you in between calls. When they hear the call they seem to advance 50-100 yards and wait for your next call and then they advance again. They’ll go between cover spots to try and stay hidden or circle around you and try and get down wind. They’re a lot smarter than people give credit.

Probably one of my best moves is to go out just before dark the night before near where you plan on hunting and do some loud calls until after dark every twenty minutes from the road. Try and stay in the open to project the sound as far as you can. If they’re nearby you’ll likely get something curious to come in close during the night and be nearby ready for action in the morning.

Like I said I’m not an expert, but this is what has worked for me. There’s plenty of guys here who have far more experience than me so hopefully they chime in. I think the calling plan should change earlier vs later, but this seems to work in that middle time. I tried moving around a bit last year and spooked a bull that was on his way in to see me. I started walking around and calling, when I stopped to take a piss he gave me one good grunt and I grunted back and he took off. We were in thick bush, but he was close.

One more thing. Be patient and keep waiting. Get in your spot before it’s light and stay until at least 9 or 10. I usually grab a quick cup of coffee and a couple granola bars. Just enough to tie me over and then have a decent brunch.

srupp
07-01-2022, 08:46 PM
hmm not so important to know where they were..thats what tracks do..the moose you shoot on wednesday could have been 20 kms away 3 days before..during the rut they travel long distances..
yes every 15 minutes by the clock call LOUD impossible to call too loud however yes titrate it down as the moose moves in closer.
i GUARANTEE bulls can hear loud calling at 5 kms...seen them respond at distance too many times ..
I USE tampons as scent dispersal...cheap..come with a string to tie it up into a tree..soaks up lots of BUCK EXPERT SYNTHETIC MARES URINE..and are biodegradable..
I dont think real moose pee is legal...didnt they change that years ago due to CWD..
OPENINGS not seen from rds allow calling long distance and moose juice to move with both wind and thermals..
i almost never grunt like a bull they are seeking mating opportunities not fights..fighting happens in sept dominence sorting time
only times I have grunted is WHEN I see a bull with numerous cows THEN I use the bull grunt to say HEY BUDDY I am coming over to kick your ass and steal your cows it does work sometimes other times bull just leaves with his ladies.
cheers
Srupp

ekul246
07-01-2022, 09:48 PM
We played with scents a bit for elk, like an incense stick you put under a bucket that has some holes in it, moose came to check it out. Other than that I've never used scents while moose hunting. I use cupped hands while calling, seems I always forget the birch bark call in the camper.

Where you planning on setting up camp in 7-11? Some areas are a bit better than others, I know after over 50 years of hunting around there.
We will be setting up camp. Wall tent and diesel heater.

HappyJack
07-02-2022, 07:13 AM
We will be setting up camp. Wall tent and diesel heater.

You could see some grizzly bears in there too, so keep a camera handy.

todbartell
07-02-2022, 09:21 AM
Would you agree that the rut is the first two weeks of October or still the last week of September and first week of October?

Moose have a 33 week gestation period. Calves drop mid may to early June, which puts breeding times Sept25 to Oct16 +/- a couple days. Of course there will be some pre-rut activity prior to breeding when bulls will be on the move and sorting out their hierarchy

Within our group of hunters last fall, we shot a lone mature bull Sept27 who was cutting cross country likely looking for cows. October 8th we called in an immature bull which came in on a string to 40 yards. October 9th another mature bull went down, he was with a cow. October 10th, two decent sized bulls were with a cow. While field dressing that bull we seen four more cows in the area

todbartell
07-02-2022, 09:28 AM

I use my elk bugle tube as an amplifier. Volume is increased greatly

ekul246
07-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Moose have a 33 week gestation period. Calves drop mid may to early June, which puts breeding times Sept25 to Oct16 +/- a couple days. Of course there will be some pre-rut activity prior to breeding when bulls will be on the move and sorting out their hierarchy

Within our group of hunters last fall, we shot a lone mature bull Sept27 who was cutting cross country likely looking for cows. October 8th we called in an immature bull which came in on a string to 40 yards. October 9th another mature bull went down, he was with a cow. October 10th, two decent sized bulls were with a cow. While field dressing that bull we seen four more cows in the area

I use my elk bugle tube as an amplifier. Volume is increased greatly
Fantastic details!
Looks like ill use my bugle tube to amplify

srupp
07-02-2022, 09:59 PM
hmm KC Capling world champion moose caller has a fiberglass moose calling horn MOOSE MAGNUM 22 " KC CAPLING..
it helps calling distance..
it helps with tone..
it helps with that cow moose reasonence....have used it very successfully many many times
good write up TB...
cheers
Srupp

moosecaller
07-02-2022, 11:49 PM
I have been using a department of highways safety cone that I found in the ditch 45 years ago cut the heavy base off from it and it has served me well ever since.

Arctic Lake
07-03-2022, 06:56 AM
Now that is redneck , LOL ! .
Arctic Lake
I have been using a department of highways safety cone that I found in the ditch 45 years ago cut the heavy base off from it and it has served me well ever since.

ekul246
07-03-2022, 08:38 AM
Now that is redneck , LOL ! .
Arctic Lake
No kidding LOL

ekul246
07-03-2022, 08:41 AM
hmm KC Capling world champion moose caller has a fiberglass moose calling horn MOOSE MAGNUM 22 " KC CAPLING..
it helps calling distance..
it helps with tone..
it helps with that cow moose reasonence....have used it very successfully many many times
good write up TB...
cheers
Srupp
Where would I be able to order one of these from?

bc7mm
07-03-2022, 09:10 AM
I have a cone made out of heavy industrial gasket material with duct tape holding it together that I made 25 years ago. Called in many a moose with this thing. It was responsible for taking two bull moose last fall, one rather big, and 2-3 year old. Nothing fancy but it works just fine.

srupp
07-03-2022, 01:21 PM
hmm one of HBC Member posted photo of the one he made..talented guy.
i bought mine through CABELAS.
Steven

ekul246
07-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Any chance someone would be able to point me to a good place to camp? Even PM a gps tag?

ekul246
07-04-2022, 12:15 PM
I wanted to get a scouting trip in but with the cost of fuel I don’t think that it will be possible

ekul246
07-12-2022, 05:45 AM
hmm not so important to know where they were..thats what tracks do..the moose you shoot on wednesday could have been 20 kms away 3 days before..during the rut they travel long distances..
yes every 15 minutes by the clock call LOUD impossible to call too loud however yes titrate it down as the moose moves in closer.
i GUARANTEE bulls can hear loud calling at 5 kms...seen them respond at distance too many times ..
I USE tampons as scent dispersal...cheap..come with a string to tie it up into a tree..soaks up lots of BUCK EXPERT SYNTHETIC MARES URINE..and are biodegradable..
I dont think real moose pee is legal...didnt they change that years ago due to CWD..
OPENINGS not seen from rds allow calling long distance and moose juice to move with both wind and thermals..
i almost never grunt like a bull they are seeking mating opportunities not fights..fighting happens in sept dominence sorting time
only times I have grunted is WHEN I see a bull with numerous cows THEN I use the bull grunt to say HEY BUDDY I am coming over to kick your ass and steal your cows it does work sometimes other times bull just leaves with his ladies.
cheers
Srupp
Do you dip the tampons in the buck expert scent and then tie it to a branch or do you spray it like the instructions on the bottle say?
When you leave the area if you’ve been there for us it do you leave it up while you’re gone in case you come back or do you take it down?

rred
07-12-2022, 11:18 AM
I use the fiberglass Moose Break call by Recall. Indestructible. I sat on too many birch bark cones.
It also great for raking willows if you got an angry bull what wont pop out.
Got it from Sail.ca

moosinaround
07-12-2022, 12:07 PM
Any chance someone would be able to point me to a good place to camp? Even PM a gps tag?

East end of Tatuk Lake at the Rec site! Take a car topper, and float the lake calling for moose. Successful for the last 2 moose i've heard of taken in 7-11 (last 3 yrs). Good luck!! Moosin

srupp
07-12-2022, 12:41 PM
Do you dip the tampons in the buck expert scent and then tie it to a branch or do you spray it like the instructions on the bottle say?
When you leave the area if you’ve been there for us it do you leave it up while you’re gone in case you come back or do you take it down?

for containers that have spray nozzle..yes..if not I pour it over the tampon..im concerned if I dip it..it might swell up too tight and I might have to go down a size..lol
once placed..DONT go back to the scent disposal unit..LIMIT your scent..when ready to end the hunt then you can cut them down for disposal..
steven

ekul246
07-12-2022, 05:15 PM
I use the fiberglass Moose Break call by Recall. Indestructible. I sat on too many birch bark cones.
It also great for raking willows if you got an angry bull what wont pop out.
Got it from Sail.ca
I will check it out.

ekul246
07-12-2022, 05:16 PM
for containers that have spray nozzle..yes..if not I pour it over the tampon..im concerned if I dip it..it might swell up too tight and I might have to go down a size..lol
once placed..DONT go back to the scent disposal unit..LIMIT your scent..when ready to end the hunt then you can cut them down for disposal..
steven
Got it. Mine came with the spray nozzle. Good thing it was put in a plastic bag and knotted. Some of it dribbled out while it was in shipping. Wow is that stuff rank lol

ekul246
07-12-2022, 05:27 PM
East end of Tatuk Lake at the Rec site! Take a car topper, and float the lake calling for moose. Successful for the last 2 moose i've heard of taken in 7-11 (last 3 yrs). Good luck!! Moosin
I’ve done a quick search and can’t seem to find the Tatum rec site. Maybe it’s a different lake? I see some others

moosinaround
07-12-2022, 05:48 PM
I’ve done a quick search and can’t seem to find the Tatum rec site. Maybe it’s a different lake? I see some others

TATUK Lake, Its the largest lake around in 7-11, just south of FINGER Lake, and south east of LAVOIE Lake, There is a BCFS Rec Site on the east end of it, been there since Christ was a teenager! moosin

moosinaround
07-12-2022, 05:50 PM
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/north/parks/finger-tatuk.htm

moosinaround
07-12-2022, 05:55 PM
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/north/parks/finger-tatuk.htm

53-30-54.68n,124-07-56.62w

ekul246
09-27-2022, 09:25 AM
My dad just heard that they closed 7-12 due to wildfire. Can anybody confirm that? We were planning to access 7-11 from Vanderhoof through 7-12 this Saturday ……
edit: My dad’s friend was just screwing with him……….he got us.

rzycio
09-28-2022, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=ekul246;2362295]My dad just heard that they closed 7-12 due to wildfire. Can anybody confirm that? We were planning to access 7-11 from Vanderhoof through 7-12 this Saturday ……
edit: My dad’s friend was just screwing with him……….he got

Almost had me worried there. We're heading up Saturday as well staying at the adjacent Finger Lake for the week. First ever Moose hunt for our group. Really first ever trip to the area.

NorthernNova
09-30-2022, 01:14 PM
LOL Yes Cluskuss is open. I have a LEH bull draw for 7-12 Zone A so I have been scouting it for a while. Some big clearings where they have taken out all the burned trees makes for it to appear barren but have seen a few Cow moose passing through. I have no info on 7-11 but haven't seen much for wildlife on the boarder of the two during my travels. I like that boat idea and am bringing an inflatable. My father, wife and myself will be staying at finger lake resort oct 4th- 11th as it was the closest place to provide access to our Management Unit.
Good luck out there everybody!

tigrr
09-30-2022, 06:53 PM
The near perfect call is a traffic cone about 16 inches long. They are hard to lose because of color.
https://cdn-01.media-brady.com/store/stca/media/catalog/product/2/4/24121_mtc-18_y232861_01-lg.jpg

tigrr
09-30-2022, 06:54 PM
Oh ya cut the botton off.

mike31154
09-30-2022, 07:09 PM
I had some birch bark from a tree I cut down in the yard, made a moose call with some the other day. Heading out Monday for LEH south of Vanderhoof with some best buddies from the Island. We had success there in 2018 on an LEH, nice bull. Last year my buds went up for GOS & got skunked. I missed that one due to back issues. Fingers crossed haha. We were there a week or so earlier in 2018 vs this time around. It's been so warm & dry all over the province I wonder if that's affected the rut in any way....?

Arctic Lake
09-30-2022, 07:32 PM
Hmmmm, I do know this Mr. Mike . It’s the daylight hours it is the constant since Moby Dick was a guppy . It triggers the rut . Lessing daylight triggers the rut ! The scientific name escapes me at the moment . I think the cold weather gets the animals moving but it is not the key . I stand to be corrected !Oh and good luck I would like to see a story and pictures after your success !
Arctic Lake
I had some birch bark from a tree I cut down in the yard, made a moose call with some the other day. Heading out Monday for LEH south of Vanderhoof with some best buddies from the Island. We had success there in 2018 on an LEH, nice bull. Last year my buds went up for GOS & got skunked. I missed that one due to back issues. Fingers crossed haha. We were there a week or so earlier in 2018 vs this time around. It's been so warm & dry all over the province I wonder if that's affected the rut in any way....?

VLD43
09-30-2022, 07:52 PM
Arctic Lake
Your right. It's called Photo period.

MRP
10-01-2022, 06:29 AM
Arctic Lake
Your right. It's called Photo period.
Yup and bulls can go into a false rut in the spring due to the light.
But the old mythes continue—
no frost no rut
didn't snow in the mountains to push the bulls down
rain washed out the cow sent and the bulls couldn’t find them
the rut is late or the rut was early because.... Funny the calves are born the same time each spring.

mikeman20
10-01-2022, 12:44 PM
5 days in so far and only spotted one moose an hour before light.

Hopefully we can turn the luck around in the next few days

mike31154
10-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Hmmmm, I do know this Mr. Mike . It’s the daylight hours it is the constant since Moby Dick was a guppy . It triggers the rut . Lessing daylight triggers the rut ! The scientific name escapes me at the moment . I think the cold weather gets the animals moving but it is not the key . I stand to be corrected !Oh and good luck I would like to see a story and pictures after your success !
Arctic Lake

Thx Mr. AL ;-). It would be nice to connect again, the freezer is empty.... Link to thread I started about our successful 2018 hunt in the same region. It was quite an adventure.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?148099-Region-6-Moose-LEH

2La
10-02-2022, 09:30 PM
Moose are most certainly Rutting right now in. Had the pleasure of listening to a bull tend to his cow for an hour this morning.

Arctic Lake
10-03-2022, 01:19 AM
Mike I checked out your link you posted . I remembered it right away ,sure enough I left a comment in that thread .So here’s hoping it comes together again for you !
Arctic Lake
Thx Mr. AL ;-). It would be nice to connect again, the freezer is empty.... Link to thread I started about our successful 2018 hunt in the same region. It was quite an adventure.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?148099-Region-6-Moose-LEH

mikeman20
10-03-2022, 08:13 AM
Got our moose last night 7-09. Called him in right at last light and he came in calling, but didn't charge right in. Took some coaxing to get to a place we could see him.

blacksn95
10-03-2022, 04:10 PM
Just got back from 6-8.. not alot of moose responding to calling yet.. They are there just not really responding.. thinking it has to do with the warm weather

mike31154
10-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Welp, our LEH south of Vanderhoof has been postponed due to some issues that came up with a couple guys in the group. We were supposed to head to PG yesterday, now we plan on leaving 17th. All you fellas & gals out there.... leave some for us haha.... ;-0

rred
10-17-2022, 10:03 AM
Any recent action around PG?
Heading up thursday in time for the colder weather in hopes that the tail end of the rut still has a few bulls fired up.
Any reports would be appreciated!

Arctic Lake
10-17-2022, 10:16 AM
That’s okay Mike I think there’s still a big bull waiting for you !
Arctic Lake
Welp, our LEH south of Vanderhoof has been postponed due to some issues that came up with a couple guys in the group. We were supposed to head to PG yesterday, now we plan on leaving 17th. All you fellas & gals out there.... leave some for us haha.... ;-0

hawk-i
10-17-2022, 02:16 PM
This yr for us (me and wife) was Sept 30 first bull and Oct 5 2nd bull.

IMHO, the 2nd week of Oct seems to be when the bulls are moving the most...probably because a lot of the cows are breed by then and the bulls are covering ground to find the leftovers.

ekul246
10-17-2022, 03:05 PM
We came back from our October 1-14th LEH moose hunt west of PG late on the 13th. We had many days of cold mornings (-2C) followed by scorching days by 10am (25-28C). But, during the afternoon of October 9th, the weather began to change a bit and my brother bagged his first bear an hour before last light. The following morning was 14 degrees and blowing hard when I tagged my first moose (posting a thread and pictures will be incoming) and on the 12th, in the morning, my brother called in and tagged his first moose. That being said, we only saw 3 moose total, all mature bulls. Other hunters in the area, to my knowledge until the 13th, hadn’t seen or bagged anything. Everyone we encountered had LEHs as well. The rut was definitely on but the weather wasn’t cooperating, though it was nice to hunt in lol.

bc7mm
10-17-2022, 05:28 PM
We spent a lot of time calling through sept. Finally called out a bull on the 11th. Tough going this year, lots of bulls answered but wouldn’t step out.

Spy
10-17-2022, 05:50 PM
We came back from our October 1-14th LEH moose hunt west of PG late on the 13th. We had many days of cold mornings (-2C) followed by scorching days by 10am (25-28C). But, during the afternoon of October 9th, the weather began to change a bit and my brother bagged his first bear an hour before last light. The following morning was 14 degrees and blowing hard when I tagged my first moose (posting a thread and pictures will be incoming) and on the 12th, in the morning, my brother called in and tagged his first moose. That being said, we only saw 3 moose total, all mature bulls. Other hunters in the area, to my knowledge until the 13th, hadn’t seen or bagged anything. Everyone we encountered had LEHs as well. The rut was definitely on but the weather wasn’t cooperating, though it was nice to hunt in lol.
X 2 on what I experienced, things turned on for us 12 October got the first bull to respond, shot him late afternoon.. We had not seen or heard anything 10 days prior, super hard hunting.. On our way out we saw a massive bull and cow standing 60 yards off the road just out of camp.
I two will be posting a hunting story..

HappyJack
10-19-2022, 09:30 AM
We spent a lot of time calling through sept. Finally called out a bull on the 11th. Tough going this year, lots of bulls answered but wouldn’t step out.

When they won't come out it usually means they have cows with them, go in after them when they are vocal it makes them easier to find. I had a nice bull in the crosshairs last week, but no LEH.

moosinaround
10-19-2022, 11:38 AM
Bagged a beauty 40" bull October 4 in the am this year! Was vocalizing, but wouldn't show his head till day 3! Was with a cow and calf. &mm barked, moose is now burger!! Was a tough year for calling, really didn't start to hear the moose return calls till around the 25th of Sept. Called a moose out this past sunday, came in quiet, and busted me, but it was in some thick regen! Had to work the next morning, otherwise we would have went back in and killed him!! Moosin