PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Pelts Blanket?

skibum
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I have seen a couple coyote fur blankets - the Bay has one. Kind of like them

I was just wondering if it is possible for a hunter to get his pelts tanned and put away until he has enough to have a taxi put a blanket together, or is it not really practical because trappers have better quality control over what they harvest.

Anyways just wondering if it is a sounds good, but not really practical idea.

Thanks

Rackmastr
09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Ya no reason why you couldnt. Wouldnt be a 'cheap' blanket by any means, with a coyote costing around $75-100 to get tanned. But you could sure make a nice blanket and MAN would it be warm!!

Mr. Dean
09-11-2012, 11:09 PM
I wanna do the same for the camper.

You have to define 'pratical'.
I'd have no problem spending the coin to do as you're thinking, but thats me.

The Dude
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Learn how to tan, it's not hard, and make a point of going out this winter and plugging nice fluffy Coyoooots, and spending your down time scraping, tanning and stretching hides!

Mr. Dean
09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Learn how to tan, it's not hard, and make a point of going out this winter and plugging nice fluffy Coyoooots, and spending your down time scraping, tanning and stretching hides!

Actually, it'll take more that just a regular old tan job.
IMO it would need a garment quality tanning, in order to get it feeling luxurious like a fur coat.

Pioneerman
09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe if he tanned it then chewed is soft like the Eskimo women do with hides, he would have a nice blanket, but sore jaw. :razz:

The Dude
09-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Maybe if he tanned it then chewed is soft like the Eskimo women do with hides, he would have a nice blanket, but sore jaw. :razz:

Yeah, and the world's biggest hairball in his throat :D

Morel
09-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Do you know of any good resources for tanning hides? I would like to try tanning a deer hide if I get one this year.

The Dude
09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
I ust researched it on the UltraWeb. There's commercial tanning solutions available, but I use a basic recipe.
Lots of threads here on tanning, lots of vids on the net, etc.
Nothing's hard to learn anymore.