PDA

View Full Version : Fishing castlegar

happyhunter
09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
So Im going to the college in castlegar for the next 8 months and I'd like to do a lot of fishing while I'm here. I've been out a couple times with very little success. Any tips for fishing the kootenay, columbia, etc would be much appreciated. I'll be spin casting and I won't have a boat to use.

OutWest
09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
There's a few good pools south of the bridge (not the Brilliant Bridge). We hit the pools on school property just below the lower parking lot a fair bit. Once it really starts to cool off and the fish slow down try a J hook with maggots/marshmallows and a bobber. Guys were consistently pulling out 10-15lb rainbows last year with that set up. Been having a bit of success with the fly rods so far.

What program are you in? I'm a second year forestry student.

happyhunter
09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Awesome thanks. I'm in my first year of forestry. Right now all us ENVR students are in the same programs together.

Rhyno
09-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I took the IEP program a few years back. Spent many afternoons fishing the confluence right behind the college (with a few buddies and a case of beer:-P). Fly fishing from the banks in the summer/fall and soaking roe in the winter. Usually produced. Had some exceptional walleye fishing a little lower down....but that was from a boat......Good luck and enjoy the program....Lots of hunting to be had to!

smoothbor
09-15-2012, 08:48 PM
10-15lb wow I have lived here for a long time and catch a lot of fish in the columbia and the kootenay and have only caught 1 or 2 in the 10lb range. As roth89 says maggot and marshmallows work well especially in the fall and winter, the fly fishing is awesome, second to none, I fly fish only and fish can be caught year round and the summer caddis hatch is deadly. fishing on the kootenay just up from the confluence is good from shore with bait and there is a lot of good spots from robson down if you have access to a boat.PM me and if i am going out maybe i can take you out but it is hunting season now so fishing gets put on hold for a few months but will be back at it after hunting season is over. In the fall and winter try using a woolly bugger in some shallower runs with a bobber if you dont have a fly rod, in the early spring carey specials work well and late spring try a big red chronomid with a white head. summer caddis drys work fantastic and pheasant tail nymphs as well, good luck