PDA

View Full Version : new/old hunter

crazybushcreature
09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
So ive hunted in the past but just with my dad. And hes always taken care of the animals and what not. Ive only shot one deer and he took care of that too. This year i bought my own rifle and will be hunting on my own. My question is do u guys have any tips and tricks after i shoot an animal. I know right away to gut it. The whole gutting it thing myself will be new to me too. ive been there when its been done but havent done it myself either. then im pretty sure its best to hang it/skin it am i right? Now once skinned what do u wrap it in to transport it to the butchers? Any info on this stuff is greatly appreciated.

crazybushcreature
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
And what should i have for supplies with me while out hunting

deer nut
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Lots of DIY videos on the net. Also some from Outdoor edge on game processing. Remember to leave evidence of sex and a small patch of hide attached when transporting. Re:supplies, always bring a survival kit that includes rope, firestarter (strikeforce or flint and steel, not matches) and an emergency space blanket. A lightweight saw is also essential - Gerber makes one with exchangable blades (one for bone, one for wood). Useful to split the sternum on an animal or to build an emergency shelter. Much safer than a hatchet!

warnniklz
09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I've noticed they've added a bunch of the field dressing info into the 2012 CORE book and some other stuff. This wasn' in there whenI took my core. Mind ya I've been very lucky to have lots of people to show me some ways on how it's done.

What area will you be hunting?

high and to the right
09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Look into the gutless method of field dressing game. Way easier especially for one person to do.

Philcott
09-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I taught myself how to gut and care for my game from reading a book called "Dress 'em out" http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=11404380477&qwork=1819082&qsort=&page=1 it's an old book now but I learned everything I needed to know to do a good job.

There is much to know. More than you'll get here.

You'll need to learn how to get the meat cool, keep it clean and keep the fly's off it. You might want to learn the gutless method which makes packing out easier but you'll need to hunt with a bigger pack than just a day pack.

Also, talk with your Dad. If he did it before he would be a good resource.

crazybushcreature
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. I will be hunting chilliwack area and beyond. My dad is 5 hours away. We've talked a bit but wanted to see what's others have to say

solo
09-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I have a recovery kit in a tote in the truck. In it I keep:
Flashlight and batteries
Headlamp and batteries
Two rolls of flagging tape
Cheesecloth game bags
Small tarp
Knife sharpener
Rope, S hooks and pulley
Rubber gloves
Hand wipes
Garbage bags
Small bone saw
Ultralight hatchet
Paper towels
Sounds like a lot, but it all fits in a fairly small Rubbermaid bin.

warnniklz
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
The main thing to remember is to get the stomach, piss sack and anus out not matter what.

If you open an animal up from just the nuts to rib cage, it'll keep the meat cleaner. If you open up the rib cage, it'll be easier to work on and cool down faster. But you'll increase the chance of getting hair and dirt on your meat.

warnniklz
09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
It'd be easier for me to show you than explain to you. But I'm a 2 day drive away.