PDA

View Full Version : First fall hunt - need advice.

Tripitaka
09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
So, this year brings my first fall hunt; I feel far from prepared despite all the reading and conversations I've had with folks. I live on the Island and have the dates set for leaving here 11th October and returning 21st October due to work commitments.

My main purposes for the hunt is to put meat in the freezer and to learn. I'm not interested in the biggest moose or deer, just to get the experience and not get skunked.

Wife and I drew moose tags for 5-04a - one Oct 1st/Oct 14th and one Oct 15th/Oct 31st - but with the ongoing issues with FN there and the underlying issues driving it of low moose numbers (at least as a published reason) then I'm very open to other suggestions. I'd really like a moose but I'd be happy with a couple of big whiteys or mules.

So, I'm all ears; do I go with 5-04a which seems to present a difficult hunting area due to high predators, current politics, proposed low numbers of target species, remote access and terrain or do I go with something easier for a first time? HSould I head to a hunting camp and work from there? I considered heading to Tunkwa Lake as a base but I'm discouraged by the heavy hunting pressure and trail closures for ATV's. Do I head to the Kootenays?

I'd really appreciate some advice and guidance; if anyone is interested in joining up, I'd be VERY open to that prospect! :-D

Trippy.

doubled
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
You have an LEH that you only get once in a while, use it instead of throwing it away. There are moose there and you will run into deer as well. Don't let them go to waste as your odds of being redrawn are consideraby lower now that you won these LEHs.

yota
09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
You have an LEH that you only get once in a while, use it instead of throwing it away. There are moose there and you will run into deer as well. Don't let them go to waste as your odds of being redrawn are consideraby lower now that you won these LEHs.

x2 Theres lots of deer in the area and with 2 LEH draws you should be able to fill at least of of them plus a deer and if its just meet your after and no trophy it should be that easier for you. good luck though on what ever you decide.

quadrakid
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Think positive and get after them moose! Getting a deer or two is nice but getting a moose is winning the food lotto.

Tripitaka
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Looks like 5-04a it is then! Anyone have first-hand experience of the area, particularly the NE corner, the road in from Hanceville etc?