PDA

View Full Version : New to Canada and Looking for a Hunting Buddy

Bravepaw
09-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Hello, I just moved to Langley, BC from West Virginia, I hunted my whole life and harvested near 100 deer. My Wife is Canadian and that is why I live here now. My permanent residence papers should be coming in this November, Lord willing, and then I'll be allowed to start on all the paper work of getting legal to Hunt BC as a resident but until then I am not allowed to harvest an animal without spending a lot of money for out of country permits and I would be required to hire a guide, or find someone with the right paper work to accompany me. So I am trying to make the best of this season and instead of releasing the arrow myself or pulling the trigger I am asking someone to let me tag along on one of their hunts this year. I would prefer many but I will be happy with what trips I can get. I am not a city boy and I need to get to Gods country. I am not used to these wilds, they are much different then what I'm used to. So what I am looking for is someone to show me the ropes on how to hunt these parts, as well as the different game. I am used to hunting White tail deer, Turkey, Squirrel, rabbit, and ground hogs. I know there is a wider selection of game in BC and there is a lot to learn for myself. In return for anyone letting me tag along and teaching me tips and tricks in hunting these wilds I would help you with anything you need on the hunt, from carrying the game, cleaning the game, butchering and processing, and carrying gear. I am interested most in learning locations and helpful information on hunting deer that is within a few hours drive from me in Langley, so that when I am allowed to hunt I'll know somewhere to go for the weekends. I am up for any trip or any game though. I am into traditional bow hunting but I also own rifles and shotgun so if there is anyone out there that wants to make a friend and show him the ropes I would love to tag along, Thanks!

The Silent Stalker
09-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the best place on earth. You must be excited. Maybe tell the world a little more about yourself, age, vehicle, what days you like to hunt etc. Help narrow down the potentials. Many on here will help, some will even reach out. Some, like myself find more and more friends finally wanting to start coming with me so I have my hands full this year. PM me if you get you papers and want some info on the lower mainland hunting. Best of luck.

Loopy Hunter
09-11-2012, 07:17 AM
PM sent...I'm in Kamloops. I have visited your corner of the USA. I was in North Carolina last fall and had a good visit with some local hunters there.

BiG Boar
09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
How much weight can you pack? And do you love caribou meat?

pnbrock
09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
haha just spit coffee Dave.

The Dude
09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I would be happy to help you as long as you disown FOX News.
:D

SuperYeti
09-11-2012, 01:09 PM
I live in White Rock, newbie hunter, but want to get out every weekend if I can.

Bravepaw
09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Well I'm 23, I drive a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, I can tag along any day of the week but weekends are best. As far as packing goes I'm a strong guy I can handle a lot. I haven't tried caribou meat but I'd love to. And as far as new goes I find most of them biased ether one way or the other.

hellojello74
09-11-2012, 03:08 PM
How much weight can you pack? And do you love caribou meat?

Lol, I don't if its funnier the fact that you said it or that he doesn't get it....yet

Bravepaw
09-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I guess there's something I missed

pnbrock
09-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Coyotes and ravens won't eat bou!!

Salty
09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Whatever on the caribou meat don't get that one people have been eating it for eons.

Anyways welcome to the site bravepaw, you'll get sorted out quick enough from your style hunting to what's up here same basics. You'll find a lot of good areas within 3 hrs or so of your locale, east and north will be the best nearby bets obviously. ..

bruce0580
09-11-2012, 06:55 PM
hey there buddy im a long time reader of this site and i have hunted for a long time and would take you along for some hunting pm me if youd like

digger dogger
09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I guess there's something I missed

Big Boar is thinking that if you wanna come along on a caribou hunt, you could pack the meat back to the lake while we wait for you to return for the rest of the meat.. lol

The more meat you can carry the less trip you'll have to do, plus pay for 1/3 of the fuel, and flight.
You can have 1/2 my bou meat!!!

On a different note. Enjoy hunting in the best prov in Canada. :-)

Philcott
09-12-2012, 07:49 AM
If those guys are offering to take you along on a fly-in caribou hunt I'd have a serious look into it. Not cheap but an unbelievable experience.

The Dude
09-12-2012, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't go with them unless you like Deliverance and KY.

Kapow
09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I gotta Bull Moose draw on my annual jetboat hunt. My regular hunting buddy had to cancel. just me and the boat are going so far. Might be willing to bring someone else along if they will split the gas , food and bring a bottle of Wisers (200-300$ each for fuel). Its also open season there for select bulls, mulies and white tails.

Mr. Dean
09-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I gotta Bull Moose draw on my annual jetboat hunt. My regular hunting buddy had to cancel. just me and the boat are going so far. Might be willing to bring someone else along if they will split the gas , food and bring a bottle of Wisers (200-300$ each for fuel). Its also open season there for select bulls, mulies and white tails.

This might very well be worth looking into.......
I don't know the member but I'm sure someone does and it'll likely be more than just a few days - A serious adventure.

- He's been around since 2008
- Hasn't pissed off any of the Mod's.
- More of a lurker than contributor.

Bravepaw
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I am un able to work up here until my papers come in which is hopefully december so money is tight for me until then. I could swing up to $150 on trips but I don't think I can get into a habit of spending more than that on a hunt until my job. After I'm employed you best bet I'll take anyone up one these awesome adventurous offers. Those kind of hunts is what guys back home and myself dream about. But until them If anyone is going on a hunt that my half of pay is around $150 or less I'd love to come.

pnbrock
09-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Kapow I got some cash!!!

kako99
09-12-2012, 10:58 PM
In a few weeks might do another local hike if your in for that?

Bravepaw
09-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I'd love to. Where are you going and what for?