PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Brohm Ridge.

SuperYeti
09-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Well I went out for my first trip up Brohm ridge today, and my first try hunting period. Was looking for blacktails, but happened across what looks like a bunch of cougar tracks/scat. Was a fun trip none the less, great to get out in the back country again. Got a few pics of some nice views, plus some of the scat I came across.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112692743419417199982/albums/5786822192661638753?authkey=CJfjz7-Z3YO19gE

From my limited knowledge and research so far, would this be a good area to continue looking for blacktails? Any suggestions would be appreciated for the newbie :)

TheProvider
09-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Off the road and in the big timber. There are young bucks along that road. Thats not cougar scat. Cougars cover up their scat like how a house cat covers up theirs in a litter box. They'll kick moss and twigs on top of it.

SuperYeti
09-11-2012, 01:59 AM
So would that be bear then? I've never seen black bear that color and consistency before? When I was driving out, I went out the "deactivated" road and lower down found some nice sort of open but not second growth. What elevation are the bucks hanging out at this time of year?

TheProvider
09-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Bear to me, their scat can be all sorts of colors depending what they eat. Also looks a little weathered to me. You'll have bucks at most elevations just depends what your looking for. In my areas right now the mature bucks are 2000' and up. They love old growth, south facing south, and steep rocky bluffs. Kind of spots you can't see them unless there 30yrds or closer. Just my 2cents but I've got lots to learn yet about these crafty buggers.

SuperYeti
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
The one best was pretty much fresh, maybe from yesterday before the rain, the others looked older. How often do you hunt around Squamish, wanna head out for a day trip some time?

TheProvider
09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
I live in Squmaish so my majority of hunting is done around Squam. Blacktails, bears and predators. Don't hunt too much with a partner for Blacktails. But maybe in the spring if you need some help for a bear. I bowhunting only now and videoing every. Any questions about the area let me know