PDA

View Full Version : First Elk, First bow kill

teddybear26x
09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
I know it ain't much for you big bull hunters, but I am just a meat guy and after passing up several cow/calf pairs this beauty finally walked right under my treestand thursday night (my last night to bow hunt before going back to work).
First shot was a broadside fairly extreme down angle, I was 30 feet up which made for a 12yrd shot. Clean pass through which I was a little low on that took out the left lung. She ran forward about 8 yrds and stopped which put her right in my sweet 20 spot. She was slightly on the extreme of quartering away, but I knew I nailed her with the first one. So, I put another one in her, which was bang on double lung. She took off went about 15 yrds and fell over backwards. I heard her last breath and the emotional adrenaline kicked in. I called my buddy who was setup a few hundred yards away and he went and checked on her cause I couldn't climb down (climbing tree stand) cause my legs were like jello. He walked over gave her check and gave me the double thumbs up. First big game animal I've harvested in 8 years. Just got back into it last season.
I don't think I even want to open my gun cabinet to get my deer, I think I'm hooked on the bow.
sorry for the low quality photo. I got her at 7:46 and by the time I got over there there was nothing left for light and all I had was my phone.Not sure why I can't upload any photos so here is an attachment to the other forum I'm on http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=58486&d=1347263322

afflicted 1
09-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Nice bow kill congrats!

5 spike
09-10-2012, 02:57 AM
awesome congrats. The freezer is full.

J_T
09-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Congrats. I like to hear about controlled shooting and the target acquired being broadside or quartering away. Well done.

teddybear26x
09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanx you guys. I have video of the whole thing I'll try to post up on my next day off.

rattling_junkie
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
There is nothing like hunting with a vertical bow! I love drawing back undetected.

The Hermit
09-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Terrific. Can't wait to see the video. What vid cam did you use and how was it attached? tree or bow or head?

teddybear26x
09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Terrific. Can't wait to see the video. What vid cam did you use and how was it attached? tree or bow or head?
I used the contour GPS. I decided to use the headband attachment for it cause I like the angle it gave and it moved perfectly for when I was lining up the shot.