PDA

View Full Version : hunting mule deer

youngblood
09-08-2012, 09:54 PM
hey everyone i'm just getting into hunting and i live around the hope area, is there anywhere to hunt for muleys out this way or in region 2?

blackbart
09-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Hope proper is in blacktail or hybrid blacktail/mulie country. An hour or so east on highway #3 will put you in mule deer country. Lots of pressure in the Princeton area, but you should be okay to find some space once you get a km or so off of a road. Seems to me that there was an episode or two that aired on "Canada in the Rough" that may help point you in the right direction along that highway #3 corridor.

Have fun. Mulie hunting can get a touch addictive!

youngblood
09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
sounds good! thank you, your info is greatly appreciated! I would love for a mulie to be my fiirst kill! picked up a savage axis .30 06 and i love it.....lets hope i can keep her steady for that first shot!

Jelvis
09-08-2012, 11:35 PM
From Hope, go straight up on the Number 1, the Fraser canyon way you drive up through MU 2-10 to Spuzzum and you hit MU 3-14 on the right of the hwy 1.
Mu 3-14, Lytton - Boston Bar - Anderson River.
My choice for you if I were you would be, just south of Boston Bar the Anderson Main leaves hwy 1, and climbs steadily to the south west. The road forks at 6 km; left fork runs up into area with second growth, some possibility of deer, Anderson Main continues uphill to fair to poor deer, mostly mule, some blacktail, fairs not bad, sometimes, lol, By turning onto the Uztlius Creek Main, a large and varied area becomes available, with a mix of logged over, new growth and some mature timber.
Boston Bar -- Merritt Road
By turning off Anderson Main after 6 km and going about 200 meters along powerline, then right onto a rather ruff, narrow access road, the logging road network southwest of Merritt can be reached. TAKE NOTE: Good blue grouse at summit, 12 km up. BEST DEER HUNTING (MULE DEER) just below summit on Merritt side, now your in MU 3-13.
Boston Bar - Thompson
Leave Hwy 1 at Blue Lake Resort sign a few km north of Boston Bar. Keep left at forks just above hwy. Road climbs steeply along precipitous ridge; fair DEER COUNTRY (reached 12 km along.) This road passes high above Lytton, giving access to elk herds, then drops down to Thompson in MU 3-13. Several logging spurs off around summit.
------ ------ ------------
Thar yah go hunting buddy mule deer hunting just beyond Hope to Anderson River Main. You will know when you come to a concrete bridge with big salmon made from cement at the ends of it. Then slow down and see Anderson Main into deer.
Jel .. So long hunter

Big Lew
09-09-2012, 12:00 AM
"Jelvis" covered the Anderson watershed and area quite accurately and thoroughly. A lot of the former very good logging slash areas are now heavily re-grown but there has been new logging the last few years, including this year. Access might be a problem if they are currently logging, or have locked their gates. As I said last year, there are many miles of road in this system if they haven't been washed out, so take a full tank+ and extra gear in case of breakdowns, torn tires, or your're caught on the wrong side of a slide etc. If you have an atv, it might still be possible to travel the old 'Interfor' logging road which begins several hundred yards from the south end of the Alexander Bridge on the west side. My brother, son and I took several really nice deer from that long road system a few years ago. I have seen bucks both on the main road, and on the first couple of side roads soon after leaving the highway. I'm not sure if you would be legally far enough from the hwy though, so keep that in mind as there is an old homestead near there on the highway side of the logging road. It also is a good grouse area.

youngblood
09-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Cheers guys! Again, greatly appreciated!! Happy hunting :)

limit time
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
In the hope area, try Squea lake area or head down the Silver sKagit FSR.

rmcda1
09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
From Hope, go straight up on the Number 1, the Fraser canyon way you drive up through MU 2-10 to Spuzzum and you hit MU 3-14 on the right of the hwy 1.
Mu 3-14, Lytton - Boston Bar - Anderson River.
My choice for you if I were you would be, just south of Boston Bar the Anderson Main leaves hwy 1, and climbs steadily to the south west. The road forks at 6 km; left fork runs up into area with second growth, some possibility of deer, Anderson Main continues uphill to fair to poor deer, mostly mule, some blacktail, fairs not bad, sometimes, lol, By turning onto the Uztlius Creek Main, a large and varied area becomes available, with a mix of logged over, new growth and some mature timber.
Boston Bar -- Merritt Road
By turning off Anderson Main after 6 km and going about 200 meters along powerline, then right onto a rather ruff, narrow access road, the logging road network southwest of Merritt can be reached. TAKE NOTE: Good blue grouse at summit, 12 km up. BEST DEER HUNTING (MULE DEER) just below summit on Merritt side, now your in MU 3-13.
Boston Bar - Thompson
Leave Hwy 1 at Blue Lake Resort sign a few km north of Boston Bar. Keep left at forks just above hwy. Road climbs steeply along precipitous ridge; fair DEER COUNTRY (reached 12 km along.) This road passes high above Lytton, giving access to elk herds, then drops down to Thompson in MU 3-13. Several logging spurs off around summit.
------ ------ ------------
Thar yah go hunting buddy mule deer hunting just beyond Hope to Anderson River Main. You will know when you come to a concrete bridge with big salmon made from cement at the ends of it. Then slow down and see Anderson Main into deer.
Jel .. So long hunter

Has this area remained the same for hunting? I haven't hunted the area for a few years and I noticed that your comments are direct quotes from the 1984 BC Outdoors hunting guide.

adriaticum
09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Has this area remained the same for hunting? I haven't hunted the area for a few years and I noticed that your comments are direct quotes from the 1984 BC Outdoors hunting guide.

Ha,ha good catch.
It has been written before.

dingdongdenny
09-10-2013, 03:41 PM
doesn't have much to say but when he does its good lol
I think that was a gotcha.

caddisguy
09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
sounds good! thank you, your info is greatly appreciated! I would love for a mulie to be my fiirst kill! picked up a savage axis .30 06 and i love it.....lets hope i can keep her steady for that first shot!

I picked up a Savage Axis XP stainless w/ black synthetic stock in 30-06. Be sure to practice, get used to that insanely heavy trigger pull, break in the barrel and sight in the scope if you have not already. Despite being bore sighted, mine was hitting about 5inches low and 8inches left at 100 yards. I could not believe it was so far off. That would have either ended horribly with a complete miss or a gut shot. Now it's perfect.

olympia
09-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I picked up a Savage Axis XP stainless w/ black synthetic stock in 30-06. Be sure to practice, get used to that insanely heavy trigger pull, break in the barrel and sight in the scope if you have not already. Despite being bore sighted, mine was hitting about 5inches low and 8inches left at 100 yards. I could not believe it was so far off. That would have either ended horribly with a complete miss or a gut shot. Now it's perfect.
bore sighting is just to get you on paper bro, you still must tweak it...3 inches high at 100 yards is where I like mine

Deeboe
09-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Lol...had a good chuckle over this one..... nice catch!

rcar
09-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Yeah....like plaid coming back...and Dad's paisley ties....

olympia
09-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah....like plaid coming back...and Dad's paisley ties....
I never knew plaid was out to begin with