PDA

View Full Version : Surrey Deer just about knocked me flat

BearSniper
09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Well I work in Surrey and one of my job tasks is to check properties, some of which are abandonned. So yesterday about 2:00pm I'm checking an abandonned house on 176th (Hwy#15) near 28th Ave. Most of the properties there are treed 2-5 acre parcels.

I walk around the back corner of the house into very long uncut grass, and instantly a Mule doe jumps up from her bed 2 meters to my right and bolts right towards me. I don't know who was more surprised, her or me. She ran full tilt right past me from right to left and her ribs brushed right against my belt. Almost knocked me flat over. She went about 30 meters and after the intial shock I wore off and my heart slowed down, I whistled and she stopped to look at me after which she sauntered off. She was a good sized doe. Sure woke me up. It appears she liked the shade from the heat and seems to have bedded there often.

I get in my vehicle and check another property about 1.2 mks away and sure enough theres another doe in the rear yard looking at me. After that, about 1 km south on 176th theres a huge deer carcass off to the side of the road. Must have got hit earlier in the day. Lots of trees in Surrey and agricultural land, so I guess the deer population is pretty healthy.

I wonder if my boss would mind if I bring a Bow to work and try to get some meat for the freezer?:razz:

The Dude
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
What happens to the abandoned houses? Does the city auction them off eventally?

(PS: They're Blacktails....technically not a Mule Deer)

BearSniper
09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Most of them are owned by an owner or investor. If they don't pay the taxes yes the City seizes them and auctions them off. Many are former grow houses which have been ruined and become insurance nightmares. Eventually they get torn down and something new is built.

antileno
09-09-2012, 08:43 AM
they will become townhouses eventually and the deer will get pushed south and probably mostly get run over.