PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for bow hunting around Kamloops

interceptor
09-08-2012, 06:08 PM
G' Day All,

We are driving through Kamloops tonight, anyone got any tips on an area that would be worth a walk with my bow tomorrow morning.

Mostly just looking to go for a quiet walk, a chance at a critter would be a bonus.

Cheers Noel

Jelvis
09-08-2012, 08:11 PM
For bow, now is a good time, b4 rifle on the tenth. Kamloops has mule deer and whitetail deer.
Should be able to get close enuff for a shot. If I was hunting for deer now around Kammy?
I'd try up Jamieson Creek or Red Lake up Tranquille road or
By Logan Lake turnoff from the the Coke hwy, has nice hunting country with small bucks this year for some very strange reason to the locals, "Never seen it like this before lots of small bucks around." So this could be a place.
Or up Orchard Lake road on the Yellowhead just north of Kammy about 20 k or so, nice deer country for bow hunters. Rocky ridges not real high and water all around.
One more up from Heffley Creek going towards Sun Peaks Ski Hill.
Jel .. Good luck pickin I hope you will be grinnin --

Brian011
09-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Pretty much any direction around kamloops, lots of good area anywhere you go.

Jelvis
09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Fella in Kamloops got a nice 4 by 4 mule half shedded off with a cross bow, some kinda fancy bow anyways.
Twenty yards away standing broadside by the road. Begging to get shot. So he got out hooked up and WHACK.
Right in the base of the neck.
Jel .. Bucks around folks and some whitetails happening .. we got deer.

Onesock
09-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Base of the neck?????????????????

J_T
09-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Base of the neck?????

finngun
09-09-2012, 08:45 PM
jello means texas heart shot:shock: i guess

J_T
09-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I admit to becoming more than a bit frustrated with the 'advertising' of some very low percentage shots. I can't tell if the story is a troll or not, but others, learning about bowhunting are getting a VERY poor message about what bowhunting is, or what shots to take, if they can't tell if a story is BS or not either.

In bowhunting, with archery tackle, we DO NOT, take low percentage shots, shots in the dark, shots in the rain, long distance shots, texas heart shots, neck shots, body shots, we simply shouldn't. If we do we are not showing respect for the animal. It does, challenge ethical behaviour.

There are two shots you can take on an animal when using an arrow to kill, broadside and quartering away. Aim for lungs, or heart.

I understand, things happen, and we all understand luck plays a part in our ability to recover, but show the animal some respect, take him at close quarters, take him cleanly and ensure you recover.

Jelvis
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
The guy shot it at 22 yards, how close does a bow hunter need to get? He aimed and shot for the shoulder and hit it where the neck joins the body. They are connected up here in Kamloops lol.
Jel .. If you don't trust the arrow to kill a deer with a lower neck shot, then I would take up using a rifle with a scope.

J_T
09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
The guy shot it at 22 yards, how close does a bow hunter need to get? He aimed and shot for the shoulder and hit it where the neck joins the body. They are connected up here in Kamloops lol.
Jel .. If you don't trust the arrow to kill a deer with a lower neck shot, then I would take up using a rifle with a scope.
An arrow doesn't kill by impact. It kills by causing deadly hemorrhage. (lungs and heart) On a deer 22 yards is effective range. If the animal is looking at something else and the shooter is a great shot he can push it to 30. If the animal is looking at him 22 is 10 to far.

Onesock
09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
If he shot for the base of the neck he is uneducated! If he didn"t shoot for the base of the neck he is a terrible shot. Either way he should learn about his weapon of choice prior to picking it up.

Jelvis
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
That's why I couldn't be bothered bow hunting, or playing basketball. I play hockey and shoot a rifle.
When hunting for some venison becomes so dramatic with a traditional weapon of old, I'll take a sure shot and aim with my dead on cross hairs on my shootin iron. I hunt for meat and I'm not playing a video game shooting at phony targets. So i could dispatch an animal easier and quicker with less doubt or margin for a mistake and wound the prey.
My own opinion and my choice to make.
Jel -- (Broken ) Arrow -- deflected in the wind so I missed -- I guess I should have used a modern day rifle, after all killing a deer for food has evolved from the short range pointy stick to a modern day hunting rifle. Why go backwards?

Ron.C
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Agree with JT, only shots are heart/lung broadside and quartering away. Largest target when shooting at the vitals and best odds at a quick, clean kill.

As far as it being a terrible shot if done so by accident, I disagree with Onesock. It does happen on occassion for various reasons even if you are very familiar and proficient with your choice of bow. Hell, look at 3d shoots. How many guys have scored a 5 on a target that is well within thier normal hunting range. Mmmm let me see, all of us.

A bad shot on game probably happens more then most let on or I assume will admit to. But we are all human and bad shots do get made by both bow and rifle. And I find it very hard to beleive that every shot in a hunting situation ever taken by Onesock or any of the other Trad shooters he hunts with have all been perfect.

Onesock
09-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Well Ron you are wrong. They have all been perfect....... Ya right. Anyone can miss at 20 yards. I was just wondering why anyone would come on the internet and say that a shot at the base of the neck with a bow was alright. Which it isn't! Certainly shouldn't be telling the world about it saying it was good. Jelly did and therefore it was a terrible shot or the shooter was uneducated.

Ron.C
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
I was just wondering why anyone would come on the internet and say that a shot at the base of the neck with a bow was alright.

Because they don't fully understand bowhunting or its limitations. I welcome these posts. Presents an opportunity for Bowhunter Education, something that in my opinion should be mandatory in BC like some other Provinces/States

Coyote
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Rather than argue about the competence of the hunter in question I offer the following to him and other newer bowhunters. Without getting into a lot of detail, one of the best places to place your razor sharp broadhead is in the crease at the shoulder. I call it the boiler room. It's a good shot at just about any reasonable angle, broadside, quartering away, from the ground, in a treestand. It's also the largest area of vital organs in the animal. Your chances of a short blood trail and quick recovery are much higher.

'yote

Onesock
09-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I think that is what I said Ron. That is an uneducated bowhunter. Private e-mails or conversations with others bowhunters are probably a better location to discuss this than a public form that is visited daily by persons wanting to see an end to not only bowhunting put all types of hunting. I guess it is just not my cup of tea.

interceptor
09-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks to the HBCer who PM'd me with a tip, I spent a morning walking some beautiful country and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Thank again mate.

Not sure how a request for a tip turned into the age old "should not have or should have" but hey, its the internet so it happens.

Cheers Noel