PDA

View Full Version : Alberni Springs Over-Harvest (Yet Again...)

IronNoggin
09-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Seems to be a re-occurring theme once again at play here...

Chinook: Approximately 34,000 Somass chinook are forecast to return to Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet in 2012. The predicted adult age composition is 5%, 33% and 62% of 3, 4 and 5-year olds, respectively. Given the age composition, about 24,000 spawners are required to meet the 57.2M egg target for the system. Therefore, about 10,000 Somass chinook are available for harvest in the ‘terminal fishery’ from Alberni Inlet seaward to Barkley Sound.

The Recreational Sector's "Priority Access" catch has been tracked throughout the summer and hovers around 11K. As the data collected included the Sound, a good number of the fish caught attributed to the local system were most likely not from here.

Area D Gillnet Fleet was held to their number through their two-hour opening Wednesday last. Close Monitoring and Communications ensured their catch was within the 1,300 allotted to them.

The same can NOT be said for the Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath, Tseshaht) FN Economic Fishery (Commercial). They were allotted a set target of 1,900. In fact, they removed ~ 9,300 springs during a madhouse two-hour opening Tuesday last. The actual catch was therefore 7,400 OVER the assigned target number? A 490% Over-Harvest! On a recognized Conservation Concern run! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/WOW.gif

Given this year's run projection (see above) it is obvious that the suggested "available catch" has been well exceeded - in fact we are now at 216 % (21,600) of that suggested harvest number.

Under these circumstances I have Very Serious Conservation Concerns for this year's run. As such I cannot with any conscience support leaving the Inlet and river open for retention for springs by our own sector. I have advised our local SFAC that facing the very real possibility of not even achieving sufficient escapement to meet "hatchery requirements" (even at today's greatly reduced scale) I very much believe we must curtail any further removals of these fish via any sector whatsoever. And I am therefore calling for an immediate meeting of the SFAC to deal with this matter in a timely manner.

What the FN's have done is beyond ATROCIOUS!
They HAD to realize what they were doing...
And just where the hell was DFO in this mess beyond launching it?
Obviously NOT ensuring any form of Compliance...

As noted, this has become a FAR too repetitive Disaster.

The River is LOW and Warm, which of course is the perfect conditions to stack them at the river's mouth. Which is exactly what happened. And is exactly why they were such "sitting ducks" for the nets.

I have walked a lot of the river in the past week and change. There are a few at the Falls, waiting for high enough water to jump them and wander up. "Few" being the operative word. Between there and Papermill they are basically non-existent. Saw but a couple near the Store Pool and nada the rest of the way down. Without rain, or a surge from one of the impound lakes, the few fish that remain are very reluctant to enter the fresh water.

No Apologies, No Remorse. Smash them 'till they're gone mentality seems to rule at least one particular sector here.
And this same scenario plays out year after year after year with with the same "Sector".
If DFO doesn't get a handle on that, as they appear to have with the "other" commercial gillnet fleet, the writing for this run is on the wall...

I for one certainly will NOT kill (or even target) another spring here. I hope the balance of the anglers feel the same way! To do so would be putting Personal Greed on a higher pedestal than the run's basic Survival!!

I IMPLORE those who fish this area to PLEASE forgo bonking any more springs. And Please spread the word while out there as well.
They are hurting, and any further removals at all may well prove to be the last straw for their ongoing survival!!

Nog

pnbrock
09-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Doesn't surprise me in the least they know there are no consequences for there actions. Absoluty disgusting behavior from the Stewarts of the land. Pffff!!!!!!

Ozone
09-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Hopefully the majority of those 9300 dont get dumped.

IronNoggin
09-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Hopefully the majority of those 9300 dont get dumped.

They won't. This was a Economic Fishery read Commercial in every sense of the word. The Legal Buyers at least are required to keep accurate numbers of what they handle. Otherwise we may have never known the full extent...

As of September 7th:

Escapement:
The Stamp Falls Chinook counters are operational and the river above Stamp Falls was assessed by a swim team Sept 6th. They observed approximately 1100 pcs of Chinook and 1100 pcs of Coho.

Catch Estimate: ~ 22,861 pcs
Port Alberni Tsu-ma-uss fishery – 9700 pcs ( includes EO and FSC )
Commercial Gillnet – 1306 pcs
Recreational – ~ 11,900 pcs

The FN Fishery is now recognized to have removed 9,700 springs, 400 more than previously reported. Brings their number to 511% of their allocated Target Number.

The overall catch now is very close to 230 % (22,906) of what was recommended for a Conservation Concern run of this limited size.

We simply can NOT afford to keep Killing Them!! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Nog

scoutlt1
09-08-2012, 02:31 PM
What a G**d**n shame....sadly not unbelievable, as it should be.
Thank you for your post, and updating us on this.

Will this this ever end????

pnbrock
09-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Sure will as soon as every fish, elk,moose has been over harvested!!!

pennel
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Makes me wonder who the biggest offender is. The people carrying out the fishing or the DFO for not taking any action.
Have heard from a reliable source that illegal fishing was observed and reported to the RCMP and the DFO. Answers given ,
"you don't want to go there".
What do you do?

Jack Russell
09-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Good on you for taking the high road for the recreational fishing closure. Don't expect anything from DFO or other sectors. Local managers have little or no control, it is way above them. Sad really. Even worse, nothing we can do about it. The same old arguments have been thrown back and forth for ages, and nothing, absolutely nothing has been done about it.

Makes you wonder exactly what is going on.

The Dude
09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm sure if the Fishery dies off, they'll blockade the Inlet so that only FNs can fish there, looking for Gov't to provide money and "Answers".

Sounds familiar......

hayeslogtruck
09-08-2012, 07:10 PM
great report ironnoggin the times should do a story on this so the locals really know what goes on out there i was out this mourning saw 1 net move but looked like maybe coho, if i had this info would have not gone out i guess some are above the rules, once again great reporting!

IronNoggin
09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
... Makes you wonder exactly what is going on.

Certainly Does :shock:

In a world where REAL Management occurs, over-harvests by ANY Sector could be avoided. Were the population to be managed towards increasing overall numbers by limiting access for ALL, we might actually see a return to the days where there are decent available surpluses. Sadly that is not the case in today's "real world". http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

In addition to the above information, I have been informed that "stockpiling" prior to the opening in question was occurring, and that DFO is aware of that fact. As they must have been regarding the rate of harvest what with two Patrol Boats "monitoring" the actual fishing.

DFO has made this particular "bed" on a repetitive basis over the years. IF there was ANY consideration to reigning it in, they are completely capable of doing so. That consideration is sadly lacking IMHO. We definitely have our work cut out for us to turn that way of "thinking" around. For the sake of the fish, I sincerely HOPE we are successful in that undertaking.

I HATE the idea of closing the River and Inlet off to anglers. We simply should NOT be in the miserable position of even contemplating doing so.
Late summer and fall can be a very pleasurable experience doing either, and many look right forward to doing so each year.
BUT, when our so called "management" backs the run into such a critical corner, what else is there left to do?
Should we carry on with targeting on the few that remain, while understanding that by doing so we could well be endangering the future of the runs?
Personally, I cannot support that in any way shape or form.

I will NOT target on the springs here myself. In fact I caught but 4 or 5 springs from this stock this entire season, in the approach lanes to the Sound when we did not recognize that DFO would once again allow such serious over-harvests to occur. Fished the Inlet but once, for a buddy's first ever. And haven't been back since. I WILL forgo the river myself, hope that others feel the same, and those that decide they will regardless: Please Tread Lightly...

Nog

spreerider
09-09-2012, 03:56 PM
anyone have any contacts they can use to get this out as a news story should give them a call.

Island Redneck
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I was just down at the launch ramp, pulling my boat out for the season and was talking to a couple of guy's that just came in from the Broken Group, they said there was a couple of purse sieners working off of Holford and they were just killing them.

They didnt know who the sieners belonged too.

IronNoggin
09-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I was just down at the launch ramp, pulling my boat out for the season and was talking to a couple of guy's that just came in from the Broken Group, they said there was a couple of purse sieners working off of Holford and they were just killing them.

They didnt know who the sieners belonged too.

KeRist! There are NOT supposed to be ANY seines in on this stock whatsoever!
On top of the disaster already faced, this is Complete INSANITY!

I STRONGLY encourage you, if you know how to contact those fellows, to have them Call It In!
If not, please consider doing so yourself. ANY information is better than none!

Unbelievable!! :evil:

IronNoggin
09-10-2012, 10:25 AM
The local rag is today touting the FN fishery as a "success" and the higher than expected number of salmon caught is not a conservation concern quoted by DFO south coast director Andrew Thompson.

DFO in Contingency Mode, and apparently the media buys right in... :mad:

Philcott
09-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe the thing to do is find out who is buying these over fished fish and get their names out into the public so people can let them know how unhappy we are with them supporting this brutal raping of the resource.

dogger
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for shedding light on this. The average guy probably wouldnt know anything about this. That is just a crime!! Thanks for reporting . Keep us informed!

BILL C19
09-11-2012, 07:23 PM
DFO were quick enough to issue tickets to CANADIAN fishermen/women at NAHMINT bay last week. Don,t get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! double standard, you bet!!!gated road to HENDERSON LAKE, TOQUART BAY given to fn, no one asked me if it was o.k. think i will park my trailer right by ROGERS CREEK in port and fish there. got my seniors licence.

Johnnybear
09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Maybe the thing to do is find out who is buying these over fished fish and get their names out into the public so people can let them know how unhappy we are with them supporting this brutal raping of the resource.

Apparently most of the fish were sent to China. Canadian resource for Canadians ya right.

steel_ram
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Well I guess when the wild, natural spawning fish are pushed to extinction by those that claim to be the great stewards of the land, the FN's will have no claim on those cranked out by tax supported hatcheries.

sae
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Why not hey claim the elk that we're transplanted

IronNoggin
09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Why not hey claim the elk that we're transplanted

They already have... http://www.hashilthsa.com/news/2012-07-12/tseshaht-has-more-just-interest-roosevelt-elk

bandit
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
All the more reason to move to an individual transferable quota system.

IronNoggin
09-13-2012, 05:11 PM
All the more reason to move to an individual transferable quota system.

Absolutely NOT! Area Closures, Limited Entry, and REAL Monitoring of the fishery is the way to go. ITQ's is exactly what got us into the halibut mess! Best to avoid that with salmon IMO.

Letter to the Editor of the AV Times I sent:

" I am writing in response to the article “First Nations Fishery a Success” published in the AV Times on Monday September 10, 2012.

To call any fishery that Over-Harvests to the tune of 7,800 above and beyond their allotted quota a "success" is beyond Ludicrous. This opening had a target harvest rate of 1,900 chinook. Instead, the fishery removed 9,700 chinook. That represents an Over-Harvest of 511%!
Any other Sector that willingly surpassed their quota by such a huge margin would be the recipient of charges under the Fisheries Act, and subject to catch / equipment seizure.

The Chinook run to this river was forecasted to be but 34,000 overall. That requires an escapement of about 24,000 spawners to meet the 57.2M egg target for the system. At this point, over 23,000 have been removed from this year’s run, leaving a questionable 11,000 at best to try and meet broodstock requirements. Put simply, 11,000 can NOT meet even half of the number of eggs required to ensure this run continues into the future!

What the Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nation’s did under these circumstances is unquestionably an Irresponsible and Unconscionable act. By their own actions, they have placed the very survival of Stamp River Springs in jeopardy for all.

Adding insult to injury is the understood fact that some of the individuals involved in this particular fishery were “stockpiling” springs before the opening ever happened. Another contravention that if performed by anyone else would have resulted in charges.

DFO is also accountable for this excessive Over Harvest. It is believed they were apprised of the “stockpiling”, and had two Patrol Boats supposedly “monitoring” the fishery. They HAD to see what the harvest rate was developing like, and yet chose to stand idly by while the carnage continued. For South Coast area director Andrew Thomson to publicly suggest that “the higher than expected number of salmon caught is not a conservation concern” under the present circumstances is completely Irresponsible in my opinion. DFO is after all the “management authority” for our fish, and are supposed to place Conservation first and foremost. Remarks of that nature, in light of such huge harvest excesses, serve only to illustrate just how out of touch many within that Department have become with reality in my humble opinion.

The Area D Gillnet (commercial) that followed the day after can in comparison truly be labeled a success. Close monitoring and communications with DFO ensured they stayed within but 6 fish of their allowed catch. A breath of fresh air in the way things are “managed” here, and certainly setting a rather fine example of just how to prosecute a successful fishery while adhering to the quota assigned by Management. Something I truly believe the Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nation’s would be well advised to pay attention to.

Chinook salmon are an “Icon” to this area, and a great many people rely on their well-being, both from an economic and recreational point of view. To jeopardize their numbers for all due to sheer arrogance and greed is more than Irresponsible. It is in fact Criminal, and in my opinion should be dealt with accordingly. To publicly label such atrocious acts a “Success” borders on Lunacy. I therefore am writing this letter in the hope that you either publish it, or print something in the way of a retraction.

DFO is now clinging to the “hope” that more fish arrive than they had forecast. That may or may not occur. In the meantime, the recreational angling remains open. I, amongst many, have put away my rods as I simply cannot justify putting this stock at any further risk. I truly hope most anglers feel the same way. And for those that chose to go regardless, please “Tread Lightly”! The very future of these fish may well depend on it!!

Sincerely,
Matt Stabler"

Apparently they are running a "follow-up" story for tomorrow's paper. Kinda wondering just how much "spin" will be involved this go-around...

Nog

Spy
09-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Good letter Nog I really hope they publish it ! Have you thought of sending it to a couple other papers & maybe someone higher up !

IronNoggin
09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Good letter Nog I really hope they publish it !

There is a related story in tomorrow's edition. Will have to pick one up and see what the tale is this time.
Also informed me shortly ago, the letter will appear as written in Monday's edition. Perhaps a good thing I am going to be out of town for a few... :twisted:

Have you thought of sending it to a couple other papers & maybe someone higher up !

Not so far, but dwelling on it. Likely wait and see what happens tomorrow first...

Thanks & Cheers,
Nog

Dragginbait
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
If all they're going to do is sell their allocated fish to anyone who waves a $10 bill in their face I thinks you should multiply each fish over the limit by $20 and deduct it from their gov't supplied "pension" checks and/or park their boat for the 511% which should be good for just over 5 seasons.
I realize none of this will happen as all the gov't higher ups will be busy wearing head-dresses at the next official document signing to give away even more fish, elk, land and $....

I know I had to keep my real feelings to myself because saying anything remotely negative would result in this thread being closed. Good reporting Nog...

IronNoggin
09-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Today's Article in the AV Times:

Tsu-ma-uss fishery worries fishermen
14 Sep 2012 Alberni Valley Times JULIE BERTRAND Jbertrand@avtimes.net

Last week’s First Nations chinook fishery has some sports fishermen in the Alberni Valley worried that too much chinook salmon was harvested.

On Sept. 4, Fisheries and Oceans Canada allowed a limited two-hour fishery opening, during which Tseshaht First Nation and Hupacasath First Nation caught 9,700 fish in the harbour and in the Somass River.

In an interview last week, DFO South Coast area director Andrew Thomson said that the high number of fish caught might indicate there is more fish in the river than what DFO originally thought. In a pre-season forecast, DFO estimated the chinook run size at 34,000 salmon. For conservation purposes, the ministry set a target number of 57.2 million eggs to be laid in the Somass River. For this to happen, DFO determined that only 10,000 fish could be harvested by all fishery sectors. However, according to a Somass River bulletin sent on Sept. 7, it was revealed that close to 23,000 fish had been harvested.

Alberni Valley Enhancement Association salmon hatchery volunteer Jake Leyenaar is among those fishermen crying foul.

“There are a lot of disgruntled folks in the system right now,” he said. “It cannot be an open, free-for-all fishery, when you have a small [run size] like that. If it keeps on going the way it is, somewhere along the way we’re going to have to pay the piper.”

However, Leyenaar cautions anglers to keep their cool, since he said the harvested salmon stock cannot be replaced by pointing fingers.

Meanwhile, Thomson said DFO maintains the higher-thanexpected harvest numbers may indicate there were more fish in the river than what the pre-season forecast suggested. However, the ministry will not know for sure until the end of the season after employees take a look at final numbers.

“In the meantime, we still don’t have a conservation concern for that stock,” he said. “It’s largely an enhancement-based stock, and we feel we can meet the need for the hatchery. That’s our current viewpoint.”

Hupacasath First Nation chief councillor Steven Tatoosh agrees with Thomson and DFO. He said that last week’s fishery opening was not only the shortest in his lifetime, but also certain areas were closed that had never been closed before.

“In my opinion, DFO’s pre-season forecast was wrong for the year. There’s plenty of fish in the river,” Tatoosh said.

And on it goes...
Nog

Spy
09-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Well I think your letter will have a lot of folks seen things in a different light !
I am sure it's going to ruffle more than a couple feathers ! A bit of honesty goes along way !
Thanks for the effort !

scoutlt1
09-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Ok I'm confused.
DFO sets a limit based on conservation, limit is "somehow" exceeded, and they and another group says "looks like with all that extra fish caught there must actually be more in the river....but we're not sure until the end of the season and see the final numbers".
Wow...great way to run a fishery!

Keep up the good work IronNoggin!!

IronNoggin
09-27-2012, 06:46 PM
... I am sure it's going to ruffle more than a couple feathers !

aYup! I've recently been informed that my "days are numbered"! :shock:
Bring It On I Say!!! :twisted:

The 9,700 number came from the buyers who have to record every piece they purchase. They did not expect such a "windfall" and had to quit buying at that point due to lack of sufficient cash on hand. Actual harvest number is now understood to be 11,000...

First escapement report is up. Just a tad difficult to believe given there were almost none found in the swim counts, the guides working the flow have seen extremely little as have the few anglers that still feel the need to target on them in the river, and a long hike today personally witnessed but three dead (not spawned out - heat exhaustion would be my guess as the river is > 18 degrees C) and zero live springs. Wouldn't be the first time the numbers are getting "fudged" here methinks...

Very very few in the harbor. The approach lanes to the Sound are devoid of spawners. A complete and utter FAIL IMHO! http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.png

Somass River Escapement Bulletin
Observations to September 23, 2012
OBSERVATIONS:
The Stamp Falls fishway counters have been operational since September 6. Since their inception, cumulative escapement through Stamp Falls is about 7,200 adult chinook, 15,800 adult coho, and 100 adult sockeye. Historically, about 30% of the chinook run has migrated past Stamp Falls by September 23: the current chinook escapement estimate of 7,200 is 30% of expected escapement (24,000). Note that cumulative escapement includes: (1) night-time counts; and (2) salmon which migrated past Stamp Falls prior to operating the counters as estimated from the snorkel survey from the Great Central Lake dam to the Stamp Falls fishway on September 6. Daily escapement counts during the past 18 days ranged between about 50 and 500 adult chinook, 100 and 1,430 adult coho, as well as 0 and 10 adult sockeye. Compared to past years, Stamp Falls water level is moderately high (1.27 m), and temperature is
moderately high (18°C). Currently, salmon escapement in the Stamp River appears to be unimpeded.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital
video review.

And on it goes...
Nog

IronNoggin
10-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Observations to September 28, 2012

OBSERVATIONS:
The Stamp Falls fishway counters have been operational since September 6. Since their inception, cumulative escapement through Stamp Falls is about 8,900 adult chinook, 18,400 adult coho, and 100 adult sockeye. Note that cumulative escapement includes: (1) night-time counts; and (2) salmon which migrated past Stamp Falls prior to operating the counters as estimated from the snorkel survey from the Great Central Lake dam to the Stamp Falls fishway on September 6. Daily escapement counts since the last bulletin ranged between about 220 and 430 adult chinook, as well as 420 and 650 adult coho. Adult sockeye daily escapement since the
last bulletin has been negligible. Compared to past years, Stamp Falls water level is moderately low (1.22 m); recent temperature data are unavailable. Currently, salmon escapement in the Stamp River appears to be unimpeded.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital
video review.

"Cumulative Escapement" now openly contains "guesstimates" derived from swims and whatever numbers are "thought" to have passed in the dark.

Woo-Hoo. 8,900 springs. Even if correct, that only leaves a measly 15,100 to go to meet escapement targets!
Have a look at the calender DFO! REALLY think it's going to happen?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/vomit.gif

Spy
10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
So what is this all going to be swept under the carpet or are people going to be held accountable for their actions !
What can we do to help! Did they publish your letter ?

IronNoggin
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
So what is this all going to be swept under the carpet or are people going to be held accountable for their actions ! What can we do to help! Did they publish your letter ?

The letter was but slightly watered down and printed. The Gist of the matter was still there, and the point was made. Zero response from The Dino (of course) and the only response I received from the FN's was the occasional threat (to which I replied: Bring It On!)

It appears this situation may well be "swept under the carpet" as you so eloquently put it. I actually sent the entire background, complete with facts & figures to the Official Fisheries Critics in Ottawa, the BC Fisheries Critic, our MP, the Minister and more. NONE have even bothered to respond to date :confused:

At this point I am completely uncertain just what anyone can do "to help". Rapidly running out of ideas, while getting the feeling that I am once again simply banging my head on the proverbial wall...

Nog

IronNoggin
10-18-2012, 10:13 AM
FAR Too Little, FAR Too Late :wacko:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=146744&ID=recreational

"Conservation measures are required to protect salmon in the Somass River due to extremely low water.

Effective October 15, 2012 until November 30, 2012, the Somass River from the boat launch at Clutesi Marina, approximately one (1) kilometre downstream to the power-line crossing situated near the Catalyst Paper Port Alberni Division mill is closed to all angling for salmon and fin fish. Variation Orders: 2012-396 and 2012-397."

Conservation measures that SHOULD have occurred immediately following the Rape & Pillage Fishery would have been a complete closure for springs system wide - if we were living in a sane world that is.

Note the area of closure: well below Papermill, in the tidal section below the Marina. While there was the odd angler tossing a line to stacked coho, chums and moldy springs there, the closure was imposed much more to stop the FN Triple-Hookers from inflicting even more damage on an ongoing basis (my opinion of course). Now that this section is closed, let's see if The Dino suddenly develop the intestinal fortitude to enforce it...

One might also note the timing - AFTER the rains had come and the fish were beginning to travel in serious numbers.
"Low Water" is always a concern, however that situation was well on it's way to self rectification.

I have heard Nothing back from the Official Fisheries Critics in Ottawa, nor BC, nor the MLA, nor anyone from DFO in this regard. It strongly appears they all simply want to sweep this one under the carpet.

Nor have I received any further information regarding escapement numbers since the 25th of last month. While that may be simple oversight, the suspicious side of me tends to wonder...
Sent in a direct request for those today, so I guess I'll find out one way or the other in short order now...

What a complete CIRCUS! :evil:

Nog

IronNoggin
10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
"Salmon conservation measures that were required to protect fish holding and waiting for river flows to return to normal are hereby revoked on the following
waters;

Subarea 23-1: Effective 00:01 hours, October 19, 2012 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2012 the closure on the Somass River from the boat launch at
Clutesi Marina, downstream approximately one (1) kilometer to the power line crossing located near coordinates 49 15.051N latitude and 124 48.717W
longitude, for coho salmon; and until March 31,2013 for chinook and chum salmon.

Variation Orders: 2012-406 to 2012-410 inclusive."

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=146896&ID=recreational

Alrighty then, Close it Monday, Open it Friday. Allow springs to be retained (as IF there are any!! http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif ) in light of around 1/2 of the required escapement.

Is it just me, or do the Lunatics appear to be Running The Asylum?? http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

Nog

IronNoggin
10-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Observations to October 13, 201

OBSERVATIONS:

The Stamp Falls fishway counters have been operational since September 6. Since their inception, cumulative escapement through Stamp Falls is about 13,600 adult chinook, 22,400 adult coho, and 100 adult sockeye. Note that cumulative escapement includes: (1) night-time counts; and (2) salmon which migrated past Stamp Falls prior to operating the counters as estimated from the snorkel survey from the Great Central Lake dam to the Stamp Falls fishway on September 6. Daily escapement counts since the last bulletin ranged between about 320 and 550 adult chinook, as well as 90 and 430 adult coho. Adult sockeye daily escapement since the last bulletin has been negligible. The counters were shut down temporarily due to power supply issues between September 29 and October 1. Compared to past years, Stamp Falls water level is moderate (1.39 m), and temperature is moderate (14°C). Currently, salmon escapement in the Stamp River appears to be unimpeded.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital video review.
.................................................. ...................

Just over half of the required spring escapement. Now past mid-October. No way in Hell the numbers will ever be realized this year. guess we can look forward to Conservation Closures 4 and 5 years down the line - due to "Ocean Conditions" again of course... http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

steel_ram
10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
13,600 out of a target of 24,000? Not good. What does the hatchery need and how roughly, how many fish spawn naturally under normal circumstances?

IronNoggin
10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
13,600 out of a target of 24,000? Not good. What does the hatchery need and how roughly, how many fish spawn naturally under normal circumstances?

Egg target was supposed to be 57.2 million. Uncertain of the exact number required for the hatchery, but it would definitely be the "Lion's Share". DFO began "managing" this system to "Hatchery Requirements" ONLY years ago, stating then (as they continue to do so) that natural spawn contributes but little to the overall recruitment here (the usual BS of course).

I have now learned that some consideration is being given to bringing in some eggs from Nitinat to bolster what they manage to get from this river this year. Not quite certain just what to think about that particular development...

Back in the day, the system regularly saw 150,000 "escape", sometimes far more than that. The hatchery then did produce more then, but there is NO way they were responsible for all those great numbers, rather is was indeed natural spawn that contributed the difference.

Under today's "management regime", the system is headed for an eventual crash methinks. Sad considering just how great it once was, and could be again if properly managed...

Nog

Dutch Ppoacher
10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
FAR Too Little, FAR Too Late :wacko:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=146744&ID=recreational

"Conservation measures are required to protect salmon in the Somass River due to extremely low water.

Effective October 15, 2012 until November 30, 2012, the Somass River from the boat launch at Clutesi Marina, approximately one (1) kilometre downstream to the power-line crossing situated near the Catalyst Paper Port Alberni Division mill is closed to all angling for salmon and fin fish. Variation Orders: 2012-396 and 2012-397."

you might not realize it but this closer was for the protection of the salmon enhancment streams in that area. the tin boat moffia had one night of fishing on out stream estuaries before the closer was put into effect. this saved our broodstock for the yr, the hight water pull the fish in far enough that the closer was no longer needed.
this closer was purely coho related not spring related and thanks to the fast phone calling from my enhancment group, dfo closed it in time

DP

IronNoggin
10-22-2012, 10:20 AM
... the tin boat moffia had one night of fishing on out stream estuaries before the closer was put into effect....

aYup, I was aware, but thanks for the confirmation... I take it that there were nets involved as well?

Wandered up to the hatchery, and quite a few places on the river where the springs used to spawn. Damn few around. In fact the smallest number I recall ever seeing at the Lagoon before this season.

Cohos up here were pretty much black. Guess they were "turning" in the chuck while waiting for the rains. Good to see their numbers at least are closer to tracking what they should be.
Good on ya for doing the Right Thing for them DP!! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
10-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Observations to October 21, 2012

OBSERVATIONS:

The Stamp Falls fishway counters have been operational since September 6. Since their inception, cumulative escapement through Stamp Falls is about 14,700 adult chinook, 23,800 adult coho, and 100 adult sockeye. Note that cumulative escapement includes: (1) night-time counts; and (2) salmon which migrated past Stamp Falls prior to operating the counters as estimated from the snorkel survey from the Great Central Lake dam to the Stamp Falls fishway on September 6. Daily escapement counts since the last bulletin ranged between about 20 and 630 adult chinook, as well as 20 and 640 adult coho. Adult sockeye daily escapement since the last bulletin has been negligible. The counters were shut down temporarily due to power supply issues between September 29 and October 1. Compared to past years, Stamp Falls water level is moderate (1.87 m), and temperature is moderate (11°C). Currently, salmon escapement in the Stamp River appears to be unimpeded.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital video review.

"About"?? http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif