PDA

View Full Version : Gun Boot recommendations

freonguy
09-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey fellow BCers:

I just got a Yamaha 450 Kodiak, and am looking for ideas from the Forum about the best type of gun boot to fit it with.

Have had a couple opinions, but the more the merrier -

Thanks in advance -

Freonguy

Gun Dog
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a Kolpin Gun Boot 6.0 with this mount:
http://hilmar.smugmug.com/photos/i-g45PpSM/0/S/i-g45PpSM-S.jpg

The Kolpin Gun Boot IV (pictured) is a little smaller than the 6.0. On my Kawasaki Brute Force I had to use a plywood spacer to properly clear the fender.

David
09-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Personally, I wouldn't touch any gun boot with a 10 foot pole.

No matter what I did, they would always collect condensation/dew. It was the equivalent of wrapping your rifle in a damp towel for an hour or two.

When I had one, I ended up garbage bagging my rifle every morning before I put it in. Another option would be to find one with a removable insert and take that out when you get into camp (i.e. keep it dry).

capper911
09-08-2012, 09:14 PM

No matter what I did, they would always collect condensation/dew. It was the equivalent of wrapping your rifle in a damp towel for an hour or two.

When I had one, I ended up garbage bagging my rifle every morning before I put it in. Another option would be to find one with a removable insert and take that out when you get into camp (i.e. keep it dry).

I think the gunboot six comes with a removeable liner!?!?!

ruger#1
09-08-2012, 09:24 PM

When I had one, I ended up garbage bagging my rifle every morning before I put it in. Another option would be to find one with a removable insert and take that out when you get into camp (i.e. keep it dry).Funny, I have had my gun boot for 12 year and havent had that problem. I have to weld my bracket up though do to the vibration.

The Dude
09-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I would prefer a gunboot to a handlebar rack. Gun sees too much grief up front where we go :D

Pioneerman
09-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I have been using the Kolpin gun boots since 1979 and they only got wet when I had the cover off and raining or putting it away wet, and have been in very wet and snowy conditions.(but so has everyone who hunts lol) Other than that probably the best protection you can get on the atv or motorcycle. And yes if you get it wet, dry it out, only makes sense. I do not like the large bulky brackets they offer now and some brackets can only be used on one side of machine, not good either. I have one for hunting rifle and the other for 10/22 for grouse
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/Pioneer_man/tracksandboots.jpg

freonguy
09-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies so far !

Pioneerman - looks like a serious rig you have there - nicely done -

Thanks again everyone - I will come to a decision in the next few days - -

Freonguy

westwayshooter
09-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Our group has been using Kolpin GunBoot 3 (now 4.3) for years. We mount them horizontally on the front rack, pointing forward. We use the mounting holes with 1/2" bolts, up through a 10 ga (about 1/8" plate) U bolted to the front rack. This allows for 2 boots with room for other gear in between. Usually have a rifle in the right one and a 12 ga in the left.

Never had a problem with the new removable liners. The older fleece lining needs to be dried out if wet.

I don't have any pictures on the computer. I will try to get some up tomorrow.
WS

westwayshooter
09-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Here are the pics:

Old Kolpin 3 (fuzzy liner) on left, newer 4.3 (removable liner) on right.
Camera case strapped to handlebars is easy access to ammunition.

Allows room the steer and mount/dismount easily
and still have space for gear (or grouse) on the front rack.
You can draw the gun from the boot as you are dismounting.

A steel plate, fastened with 2 U bolts to the rack.
Carriage bolts welded to plate with rubber spacers to support boot.
Belting to cushion boots and stop wear.
Nuts washers and 1/2" pipe welded together for the T handles.

Larger pictures are available in my gallery.

M.Dean
09-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I've used Kolpin Gun Boots for years also. I've never had a problem, and from the sounds of it, have you David checked to see if maybe there's a small crack in the seams some where's in your Boot? I've got the one with the sheep skin non removebile liner and the only way I've ever had a damp gun was if I put it in wet or I had the top off in a hot area with a rain. The one on my 450 Yamaha has the removable liner, I find that even new every time I pull a gun out the liner comes with it, which is no big deal, I put it inside the the rear box to keep it dry until I want to put it back, I also keep a clean cloth in the box to wipe the Gun off before putting it back. I also have both Quads with home made Gun Racks on the windshield brackets, and many Deer and Moose have lost there lives because of how quick a guy can step OFF the Quad, grab the Rifle and load it in seconds flat! Yes, the Gun up front does get wet and dirty some times, but I try and clean my Guns after every outing, and lots of time at every stop!!! Good Luck, and have a great season!

westwayshooter
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree, M.Dean, you should be on firm footing before grabbing your rifle. I should have made it more clear, but in the quick notes, I combined the two processes. The ammunition always stays in the pouch until we are off the bike, rifle in hand. As stated above, it only takes seconds.
We use bungie cords to keep the guns in the boots until we need them. It's easy to pop them off the butt of the gun to extract it from the boot.
Motor oil wiped on the barrel and action, not a lot, just a light film will prevent corrosion from setting in if it's really raining, and yes to wiping them down before putting them back in the boot.

The problem with the stock Kolpin mounts as seen on some of the other photos is you must keep the back end on the boot to keep the crap out of them and they interfere with mounting and dismounting from the bike. Also, they shake and vibrate, not to mention catching on branches and low clearance situations.

Had a friend that had theirs mounted vertically like Gundog's, and had the back half pop off going through a dip. He didn't like going back to retrieve it before the grizzly got hold of it. Funny, he hasn't been back hunting with us since.
WS

freonguy
09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Great ideas all - thanks again!

Freonguy

Mr. Dean
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I've settlled on this.
It doesn't vibrate, shake rattle-n-roll, and I like the access afforded on both sides of the machine. Inside are padded cases.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0002_edited-11.JPG

huntcoop
09-12-2012, 08:51 AM
I use a similar mount to the picture below but my scabbard tip is closer to the floorboard, for those that use the same mount how to you secure the tip/scabbard to prevent the major shaking and wiggling that tends to happen?

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/catalogs/1962/products/display/8bb23241-26b2-494c-ab62-2a95a7ba82a4.jpg (http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/catalogs/1962/products/detail/8bb23241-26b2-494c-ab62-2a95a7ba82a4.jpg)

ruger#1
09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Do not like that setup Mr Bean. To wide for the trails. Good if you road hunt.

Mr. Dean
09-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Do not like that setup Mr Bean. To wide for the trails. Good if you road hunt.

I'm usually off, walking the trails. The machine is used for commuting and retrieval, in which case it takes nothing to remove the scabbards (2 buckle straps) and hang a rifle around ones neck.

The most rock solid mounting system I have yet to see.... And not to mention the simplest/most versitile I have used.

ruger#1
09-12-2012, 09:14 AM
If you use it that way. It looks tough, and rock solid. I have to weld my bracket up. I am also going to make a bracket for my cargo box also. So the boot wont wobble. It is one of the old brackets. I found a couple on ebay. But what the heck I can weld it and then paint it with black gravel gaurd.

Mr. Dean
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
If you use it that way. It looks tough, and rock solid. I have to weld my bracket up. I am also going to make a bracket for my cargo box also. So the boot wont wobble. It is one of the old brackets. I found a couple on ebay. But what the heck I can weld it and then paint it with black gravel gaurd.

Patent the mod's and sell it back to the mfg. Whom in turn could package and sell as an option to thier 'kit'.
You could become a very rich guy. :smile:

David
09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I've used Kolpin Gun Boots for years also. I've never had a problem, and from the sounds of it, have you David checked to see if maybe there's a small crack in the seams some where's in your Boot?

I've gotten rid of the boot - just too many issues for my personal methods of usage. I now mount the gun via the windshield type brackets you mention and wrap it in a garbage bag if it's really pouring while I'm riding. I have a small toolbox mounted in front of this which protects the gun/scope from low branches (chainsaw is mounted in the back) An added benefit of the way I have the brackets mounted is they serve as an excellent rest if I'm going to hunt right where I park the ATV.

I should re-iterate that FOR ME the gun boots don't work, seems like they work fine for others. I do think everyone has agreed that they are not perfect so I just hope the OP goes in with eyes wide open. I would probably re-install mine if I was travelling with two firearms.

Edit:
I had the non-removable sheepskin liner. Park ATV at night, put cover on gun boot. Wake up at 4:00AM put gun in gunboot, sheepskin damp from dew %^&$%^&#. Removable insert might have fixed that for me.