PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 Mulies

Country_Boy
11-20-2006, 11:40 PM
We were heading into the region with a doe draw and a bull moose draw. Just before we go to williams lake the other truck started to act up mildly. Unknown to us and still is, we'lll find out tomorrow what is truely wrong with it. We believe it's the transmission, the sad part is it was just totally rebuilt 3 months ago. We just wanted to get in and out as quick as possible. We made it back as far as Hope on the return trip and the truck was decked and hauled to the ferry. Now it sits awaiting the mechanic to rip her apart an find out what broke and what's truely wrong with her.

We seen over 125 deer in our 5 days of actual hunting. We figured that we would check out one of our hidey holes that produced deer every time we went in and low and behold there was a nice 2 point standing there waiting for us upon our arrival. Boom... the firestick barks and within about an hour after our arrival to hidey hole #1 the deer is field dressed and in the back of the Blazer and we're heading back to camp to deal with him. That same day on the way back to camp we figure that we would quickly drive through and check out another favorite spot. Seeing how it's on the way back to camp and worth a look. Come around a corner, just as we're about to head for the gate we spot him. What's that behind the fallen tree, up come the bino's. That's one healthy sized deer (5x4) quickly get out of the truck( hunting partner that is) as I'm stuck in the middle and just sit back and enjoy the whole thing. Partner gets one shell in and after some choice words gets the second shell in and chambers one. This all in a matter of 30 seconds or so and mean while the deer is just standind there watching us. Up comes the thunderstick and it barks....BOOM and it's all over. Two deer down in a matter of one hour seperation. Buddies hear the shot as they're close by. They come roaring over and about an hour later the second deer is loaded ( with there help, definitely alot easier with four guys) and were heading back to camp with two deer. On the second to last day we figure it's about time to fill the doe tag and so we say that the next dry doe we'll take her. So off to the same area were we shot the first 5 point. We drop my dad off and tell him to walk up that skidder trail and we'll head around the other way and meet you in about a 1/2'n hour at the truck. Not two minutes after we drop my dad off. My hunting partner looks over and sees two deer and informs me that he's spotted some deer. Before I can look around see what he's looking at he says HAT RACK. All I see is the back side of the doe as she's leading the big boy away from me. The stalk is on and I head strait towards them, as they slowly walk away and put a little distance between us and them. Once the doe feels she has put enough distance between me and her she starts to hook around and kind of heads diagonally away from me. Once I get a feeling for what direction she is heading in and I'm certain that I can intercept them I make it to an really nice open patch of timber with multiple shooting lanes and hunker down beside a tree. I see the doe come through one of the shooting lanes and the big boy isn't far behind. I raise the thunderstick, flip the safety off and wait for the buck to step past a tree. The doe comes through the opening and then BOOM....the .300 win mag barks. Just as the 5x5 steps into the opening he drops dead where he once stood. Walk over and see him laying there and then the excitement really sets in. Let out a hollar and my buddy comes over and we both admire my first mule deer buck. We know there's bigger bucks in the area, so I hope to see him in the years to come. We'll be back again next year. I just took him to the taxidermist today and now I can't wait to get him back and place him on the wall. I should also add that this is my first mulie buck.

Country_Boy
11-20-2006, 11:45 PM
http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/membergallery/data/500/116muley_7-med.jpg
http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/membergallery/data/500/116muley_2-med.jpg

http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/membergallery/data/500/116muley1-med.jpg

BlacktailStalker
11-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Good for you man! I hope we have half that luck if I can only decide where to go in 5 !!!!!!!!

ianwuzhere
11-21-2006, 07:50 AM
congrats- good area for sure...

bochunk2000
11-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Great looking deer!!! However they appear to be 4 points...can't count the brow tines on a mule deer.
Steve.