PDA

View Full Version : More lucky kids this past week!!

Steeleco
09-06-2012, 10:52 PM
In keeping with the great pictures of all the lucky kids these past few days, it's my turn to share my kids story.
We started out on Wed last week in Reg 3 and did 2 decent days of scouting. Saw lots of deer and a few bears. On the remotest of logging roads in the area we like so much, we bumped into a very nice old couple looking for their cows. We were happy to share what we had seen through the day and they were grateful for the info. So grateful they told us if we didn't have any success hunting the old fashioned way, they would let either of the kids take a deer of their range land. BOO YA!!

So early Saturday morning I get the kids up at 4:30. A quick snack, some hot chocolate and we're off. We get to the spot we picked with about 10 min of dark left. Not 15 min into shooting light Shane has a chance at a decent 3x3 buck standing 75yds into a cut block. The kid must have been still asleep because he missed. We thought he'd hit him, but the way he ran away and the 2+ hours of looking for him and any sign of blood proved to us that it was in fact a miss!!

So with him all bummed out we went onto the block that was our original destination. S.O.B no sooner do we pull into the block, we see a similar sized buck just standing there 25yds into the landing. This can't be, he's standing there like a lawn ornament. Right up until the kid stuffs a 139 interbond into his brisket that is. Off runs the buck with my son hurling bad words about deer that won't die LOL But this guy we found 75yds into the junk all balled up and very dead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/JohnsonLake073.jpg

So now it's Heather's turn!! The rest of that day and all of Sun we saw squat. Out at it early Monday morning and still nothing. So around mid day I start to head to the nice couple's house that invited us to take a deer on their land. They have to be the nicest folks I've met in a long time. Told us all the in's and outs of what they'd like to see and when we can hunt. I made the commitment that we'd only leave foot prints. The last guy he let hunt his land left 2 gut piles in the alfalfa field. I can understand how upset he must have been. All that beef and an invite to the predators to come for dinner! So we agreed that if we got a deer we'd haul him into the woods to do the knife work.

So we get to the farm, a large one at that, around 3:30 as instructed. We get set up on a filed that was longer than my range finders ability to range!! not 10 min after the does and fawns start to show. 2 hours go by and now we've got maybe 30 deer in the field. Around 5:30 a 3x3 buck pops over the same fence all the other deer jumped. Nice buck but he's 275yds. Much too far for my apprentice. We watch him for near 30 min till he beds down and even got a few winks. So while he's resting we crawled some 150yds on our hand an knees in knee deep grass and alfalfa. We get to under 150yds and set up and wait for him to stand up. 30 min goes by when he finally stands up. But there's a fawn in front and a doe in the rear. No shot, we wait some more. It's now about 6:30 and we're still not getting a shot. We wait some more. Finally I yelled at him and he turned to look and stood up with his ass in our face for near another 15 min. And I thought hunting private land was easy LOL
Finally with my little girl vibrating with anticipation, the shot she needed came. Resting on the Bog pod I won last year in the HBC contest, she inhales one last breath and gives the 25.06 a squeeze. One shot a little back in the boiler room, but enough he only went about 10 yds and collapsed. Now our newest best friends had heard the shot and we're off in their truck to come see the action. They we're just as happy to see the buck on the ground as we we're. They only wished " you could do something about those damn does!!" The perfect end to a great week with family and friends. We've already got an invite to come back next Sept!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/JohnsonLake182.jpg

Seems the only one of us that missed a shot at an animal was Dad. A decent bear got a pass Sunday as I too missed LOL Oh well, I've got lots of cutting to do!!

OutWest
09-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Awesome stuff! A couple of great stories and memories that will last a lifetime.

lip_ripper00
09-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Good to hear and great story, congratulations to both!!good thing they frequent here and have learned how to be good hunters!.............. At least the kids can fill the freezer..........!!

Bear Chaser
09-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Great stuff.
Sure is nice to see the smiles on kids faces.

Spy
09-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Good job boys & girls those are great bucks ! I hope I can be as good a teacher as you Steeleco when my two are old enough to hunt ! Thanks for shareing your kids success !

5 spike
09-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Great stuff you guys and congrats on the two fine bucks.

coach
09-07-2012, 05:18 AM
The tradition continues.. Great bucks, Steelco. Nice to to hear you had such a great weekend and made a positive connection with a local landowner. Great job, kids! There's gonna be some great eating there.

Marc
09-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Way to go! Two great looking animals in he freezer! Glad the bog pod is being used to good use!

kennyj
09-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Thats Fantastic! Great bucks for the kids. I love the photos.
kenny

fearnodeer
09-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Congrats to all of i really do enjoy reading these youth Success stories.

Blainer
09-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Fantastic Family outting,and to think some kids were wasting the day at the PNE.
Good on ya!

BimmerBob
09-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Congrats Shane and Heather on two nice bucks down! Great story and pics David, really enjoyed the story...

BiG Boar
09-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Phenomenal hunt guys. Great write up, sounds like an awesome hunt. Congrats to all who were involved. Should be some good eatin!

springpin
09-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Way to go!

Getbent
09-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Thats great Steelco!
My son is so excited to get out, this will be his first year at actually having a chance to take a poke at one.
Hopefully this weekend for a day. Nice to have some great folks out there to give you permission to hunt their land, that is awesome!

Well done!

Hunter Dog
09-07-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm so impressed with all the success these kids are having this year so far. I hope they leave something for us old guys! LOL

The Silent Stalker
09-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Awesome story, the kids must be so stoked! Be good to those folks who gave you access, don't forget the Xmas card and bottle of wine. Did you offer them any cuts of meat?

darrin6109
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
thats awesome! good on ya!

d6dan
09-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Well done to the Steeleco clan!. Great story and pics David. :smile: Thanks for sharing.

09-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Congrats Dave, thanks for sharing your hunt......

M.Dean
09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
The smiles tell it all!!! Congrats to the Kids and you for the excellent story and pic's of a very successful family hunting trip!

Brambles
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Nice work there Steelco, good to hear the kids had a good time and all was sucessful

Derp
09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Congrats! nice deer for the youngsters :)

Mr. Dean
09-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Freaking AWESOME!

And its nice to finally see them... lol!

doubled
09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Right on Steelco, great to see you passing on the traditions that one day they will pass along. The smiles say it all.

stanway
09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Great post David! A big congrats to Heather and Shane! What a great way to start the season.

Steeleco
09-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks Gang. It's a feeling like no other watching your kids turn everything else in their minds off and deal with the task at hand. Heather anticipated a tough sharing her story with her school mates. A good long talk on the drive home changed her perspective. If a friend looks down on her for this, she's got the rebuttal all practiced!!!!

We went back the next day and delivered a box of chocolates (good ones LOL) as we were completely un-prepared for the events as they turned out we had nothing more at the time. Rest assured, they won't soon forget Heathers smile and big thank you hug. And they'll be getting a nice thank you letter real soon.

More kids need to step away from their electronic gizmo's and spend a day in the wilds. They'll have more respect for life as a whole, even if they don't shoot anything.

stanway
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
More kids need to step away from their electronic gizmo's and spend a day in the wilds. They'll have more respect for life as a whole, even if they don't shoot anything.

Amen......

Elkhound
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
was nice to see Shane skinning his and my kids loved watching the action. My 5yr old boy got blood on his hands....apparently its cool lmao. Too bad we left for home before Heathers. But I did get to watch Steeleco miss a 7ft chocolate bear from 30yrds. Glad I didnt try and take it with my bow I had in my hands. That boy was too tricky standing still like that.

Ps.....made an appointment at the Optometrist for you. hehehehehe

But seriously.....Your kids had an awesome long weekend. Was great to share it with you Great pics

Ummmmmmmm Shane.......is Heather's deer bigger than yours??????? ​stir the pot stir the pot stir the pot

Steeleco
09-07-2012, 05:09 PM
But I did get to watch Steeleco miss a 7ft chocolate bear from 30yrds.

7ft, I think your the one that needs a new prescription my friend. This ain't not fishing site you know LOL

Elkhound
09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Crap....sorry.....we were just so close it looked like a 7fter :-P

moose2
09-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice deer. Great job to your kids, it looked like a good trip.
Mike

abbyfireguy
09-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Great to get the kids out and successful,!!

Deeboe
09-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Awesome! I love stories like that... Congrats to the kids. What a stroke of luck getting an invitation like that!

Jelvis
09-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Your boy Shane is getting big, he got a beauty buck, whoa, high tines, looking fines, and Heather nails a great deer, and I see the deer is shedding it's summer hair and the new fall hair is showing in spots. Wow you were in the right place at the right time, and made new friends as well. Congratulations.
Jelvis -- Now it's dads turn -- go up to the ranch in the muley rut, and you would see the Prince of bucks .. lol ...

ElectricDyck
09-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Awesome pics, congrats to the up and comers!

Glassman
09-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Way ta go kids. Showing Dad hows it's done feels good eh? Make sure that when Dad wants to eat a steak you trade him for something, like popcorn at the movies. And by the way, my youth son got 2 deer last week-end and is making me ask him for the pepperoni and jerky that I am paying for to get made up.

3kills
09-07-2012, 10:16 PM
awesome! congrats to the kids! holy crap they are growing up LOL so buddy old pal was that my mountain? ;) my daughter has a doe draw u know ;) LOL

Steeleco
09-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Jelly, Heather is still on a junior license and as such I cut my tag for Reg 3. But I'll do it again next year and not hunt reg 3 if the result is the same. I don't need to shoot, just being there is enough.

Sorry Darcy, we we're in the Adams lake area. Nuff said LOL Good luck to the little one!!

Elkhound
09-08-2012, 08:15 AM
no worries Dave.....you and I will hit region 8 and come home with our own

TIKA 300
09-08-2012, 08:24 AM
That's awesome,congrats to the kids,great to see......
Nice to see a parent teaching their kids respect for nature and other peoples property,good on ya Steelco !!!

Mr. Dean
09-08-2012, 10:06 AM
no worries Dave.....you and I will hit region 8 and come home with our own

Or perhaps go back to 3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and hit the Tequilla bottle. :smile:

dana
09-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Awesome! Congrats to the entire family on a great weekend full of memories!

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Nice bucks. Good job!

shelg
09-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Nice to see the kids doing so well.

09-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Way to go Steelco gettin em out !

Congrats to all ... right on !

CT