PDA

View Full Version : Deboning deer

dakoda62
09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Guy deboning deer in 8 min. I would have cut all my fingers off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw&feature=player_detailpage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw&feature=player_detailpage)

coach
09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow. That was very cool. Gotta get me one of those little hook tools.

kennyj
09-06-2012, 09:53 PM
That was friggin awesome. Thanks for posting that up.
kenny

solo
09-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow... And he did it with a smile!

4WDarren
09-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Outstanding. I'm gonna have to watch that a few more times and take some notes!

The Dawg
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Seen it before, but it still freaking amazes me...imagine a flat rate for processing a deer of about $150....and he can probably have it steaked out in 15 minutes....$600 per hour....helllllll ya

sed8ed
09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Coach: Those little hook tools are actually just a standard meat hook, available at most farm supply stores and for cheap at PA. Make sure to get one with a T handle not the chain hook however.

bosca
09-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Very impressive....I would have had to sharpen my knife 3 or 4 times on that job...not to mention the finger cramps from trying to grip the cold slippery meat...I got to get me one of those hook tools. Thanks for posting that...

I will ad that personally I would still have a full day ahead of me to get things to wrapping stage.

bandit
09-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I would have cut all my fingers off.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw&feature=player_detailpage)

Maybe thats why he uses the hook - to practice for getting use to when he does cut them off! Still goes to show how useful having a good knife can be.

rred
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Great Post... That is one sharp knife. And where do you get one of those little hooks?

huntcoop
09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Great Post... That is one sharp knife. And where do you get one of those little hooks?

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/MEAT_HOOK_ROUND_HANDLE_4_/i_1_0_/_BSRHHO4

coach
09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Coach: Those little hook tools are actually just a standard meat hook, available at most farm supply stores and for cheap at PA. Make sure to get one with a T handle not the chain hook however.

Great info! Thanks.

bigslim
09-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I think I just found my new hunting partner!!

bighornbob
09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Very impressed. Although he is obviously a pro I guess he never learned not to pull a knife toward yourself. Or maybe thats why it take me 10 minutes:) I always push the knife away from myself.

BHB

coach
09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Very impressed. Although he is obviously a pro I guess he never learned not to pull a knife toward yourself. Or maybe thats why it take me 10 minutes:) I always push the knife away from myself.

BHB

The first time I saw a deer pieced out by a butcher (we traded him beer for coming to the house and teaching us) he held the knife exactly as demonstrated in the video. He explained that this is the safest method. I do it your way and have scars all over my hands to show for it..:sad:

shadow1982
09-07-2012, 03:47 PM
i have seen it before.. i think he is holding one of those knifes that has a memory chip.. i think its the knife that seems to do all the work...

either which way totally amazing

Beerhunter93
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
That was incredible. Gotta get a new knife now. Hahaha. And some chain male gloves. :)

3kills
09-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Seen it before, but it still freaking amazes me...imagine a flat rate for processing a deer of about $150....and he can probably have it steaked out in 15 minutes....$600 per hour....helllllll ya

flat rate of 150 bucks is pretty dam high..the butcher here charges 60 a deer.

3kills
09-07-2012, 10:36 PM

BHB

u do pull the knife towards urself while doin it though u have ur elbow locked. the only thing that i found weird was the turning of the kife.

The Dawg
09-07-2012, 10:38 PM
flat rate of 150 bucks is pretty dam high..the butcher here charges 60 a deer.

Boned out and cut and wrapped for $60! That seems cheap.

Deeboe
09-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Is it just me or did anyone else find the use of that hook somewhat creepy?? lol effective no doubt... and those r some fine knife skills...

swampthing
09-08-2012, 07:11 AM
He is invited to my next kill site.

huntcoop
09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
That guy is finished when I'd still be staring at it, scratching my head while I finish my second pint. :shock:

HuntNmemories
09-08-2012, 10:30 AM
impressive skills !!!

3kills
09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Boned out and cut and wrapped for $60! That seems cheap.

with it being so hot we took my kids deer to the local butcher and boned out cut wrapped and frozen was 65 bucks.

Grousedaddy
09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Cut and wrapped here in kamloops cost 150$ at cut right meats give or take a few dollars depending on size

Brian011
09-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Could have used this guy on the weekend, took two of us probably over an hour to get a buck deboned (was the first time I've actually ever deboned one). He definitely makes it look a lot easier that it is lol.

huntwriter
09-20-2012, 06:09 PM
i have seen it before.. i think he is holding one of those knifes that has a memory chip.. i think its the knife that seems to do all the work...

either which way totally amazing

The trick to good meat cutting is a knife that fits you so well that it becomes a natural extension of your arm. The second trick to good meat cutting is to let the knife do the work...provided it is a high quality knife with a scalpel sharp edge. Back in the days when I worked as a meat cutter for my father I could take up to 50 beef carcasses apart, debone, cut and trim them in a normal 8 hour shift. This would have been impossible without letting the knife do the work.

When I watch hunters cutting deer it hurts me just watching them trying to force the knife while tightly holding the grip as if they wanted to squeeze a lemon out. Three years ago a novice hunters asked me to show him how to gut a deer. He turned around to get the video camera out from his bag. I forgot about it and by the time he turned around with the video camera in the hand the deer was completely gutted in just under 3 minutes. Lucky for him we killed another deer two days later and I showed him how easy and quick the task can be done.

The Dawg
09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Back in the days when I worked as a meat cutter for my father I could take up to 50 beef carcasses apart, debone, cut and trim them in a normal 8 hour shift. This would have been impossible without letting the knife do the .

Alright. It was bound to happen. I'll do it

Ive sat back and watched you toot your own horn, and claim that you have done and been a part of many different things in the past that I, as well as mannnnny others have called you out on and doubted

But this one is ridiculous.

50 beef carcasses apart , deboned cut and trimmed in 8 hours. That's 6 1/4 beef an hour or so. Less than one every 10 minutes.

Hell I am no mathematician but these numbers seem a little "inflated", even for you.

I know quite a few butchers, and cattle ranchers and when I threw your number claims at them, they all responded the same way.

A blank look. Then a "oh, you're serious??? He's claiming that??". "ahahahahaha"

Really , I would love to see a video of this. Hell, next time you shoot a deer I would love to see this "3 minute gut" you claimed too .

Darksith
09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
ding ding round who knows

sweet vid though.

$60/deer is super cheap. Who is chargin that? If your deer is 150/lb on the hook then your lookin at less than $.50/lb. Gotta like it, almost as good as getting a certain butcher in kamloops to do all my meat up for free every year

huntwriter
09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Alright. It was bound to happen. I'll do it

Ive sat back and watched you toot your own horn, and claim that you have done and been a part of many different things in the past that I, as well as mannnnny others have called you out on and doubted

But this one is ridiculous.

50 beef carcasses apart , deboned cut and trimmed in 8 hours. That's 6 1/4 beef an hour or so. Less than one every 10 minutes.

Hell I am no mathematician but these numbers seem a little "inflated", even for you.

I know quite a few butchers, and cattle ranchers and when I threw your number claims at them, they all responded the same way.

A blank look. Then a "oh, you're serious??? He's claiming that??". "ahahahahaha"

Really , I would love to see a video of this. Hell, next time you shoot a deer I would love to see this "3 minute gut" you claimed too .

No wonder you got a blank look. On a ranch or regular meat cutting place it takes quite a bit longer to do the job, even for me, then in a meat factory where they use elevators and conveyor systems. In these factories all meat cutters do is cutting, no lifting no hauling and heaving meat and beef quarters around.

Yes I have done many things in my life and learned several different trades too. I had big boots to fill to measure up the expectations of my parents, mediocrity or doing it just right was never good enough for them. "Be the very best you can be or don't bother". I am glad they pushed me like that. ;)

huntwriter
09-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I would love to see a video of this. Hell, next time you shoot a deer I would love to see this "3 minute gut" you claimed too .

With practice and knowledge there is really nothing to it. Take knife zip the critter with a single cut open from anus to throat, cut aitch bone (can be done with knife, no saw needed) cut sternum (can also be done with knife, no saw needed), cut around anus and diaphragm, take guts firmly with both hands one swift twist and tug guts and internal organs fall out, cut esophagus and windpipe at throat...done.

Gateholio
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
10 minutes to debone, cut and trim a whole beef is impressive. The dude inthe video took 8 minutes to only debone a deer, and I thought he was going pretty quickly. Trimming and cutting in addition, must be moving fast!!

bassplayer
09-21-2012, 11:12 PM
My wife works at A+K Grimm in Penticton where they process beef and wild game. Takes them 30 mins or so to debone trim and cut one beef and they use some of the best knives in the business. Maybe HW should apply for a job there. Then Kelly can lay everyone off and get twice the amount of work done and only have to pay one wage or maybe he can sell Grimms some of these magic knives.

3kills
03-23-2014, 06:14 PM
The trick to good meat cutting is a knife that fits you so well that it becomes a natural extension of your arm. The second trick to good meat cutting is to let the knife do the work...provided it is a high quality knife with a scalpel sharp edge. Back in the days when I worked as a meat cutter for my father I could take up to 50 beef carcasses apart, debone, cut and trim them in a normal 8 hour shift. This would have been impossible without letting the knife do the work.

When I watch hunters cutting deer it hurts me just watching them trying to force the knife while tightly holding the grip as if they wanted to squeeze a lemon out. Three years ago a novice hunters asked me to show him how to gut a deer. He turned around to get the video camera out from his bag. I forgot about it and by the time he turned around with the video camera in the hand the deer was completely gutted in just under 3 minutes. Lucky for him we killed another deer two days later and I showed him how easy and quick the task can be done.
That's a big old stinky pile of bullshit! I k ow meat cutters that are 100xs the cutter then you are and they call bullshit on you as well

Chopper
03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
I found this video on youtube a couple years ago , I watched it several times back then. I just watched it again , I enjoyed it as much as the first time I seen it.

I love the way he rolls the sirloins out of the of hinds ... and he does such a good job getting the grind of the front quarters and the outside of the ribs.

Great video