PDA

View Full Version : Women hunters

stixnstones
11-20-2006, 11:29 PM
I was just wondering how many ladies are hunting these days? Are any of you bowhunters? What sort of ages are you? I think it is really good to see ladies taking up hunting.

ape
11-20-2006, 11:56 PM
My wife has ben deer and moose huting with me for a couple of years now. She claims to love it so who am I to question it. All I know is it offers my even more time in the bush doing what I love with the one I love.

Steeleco
11-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Not knowing for sure, all I can say is NOT ENOUGH!!!!!

mark
11-20-2006, 11:58 PM
My girlfriend is 23 loves hunting, just bagged her second buck. She wants more!

Radar
11-21-2006, 07:35 AM
My wife has just got into hunting (21 ish :lol:) our daughter hunts she is 12, our other daughter who is 9 can't wait until she can come out next year...

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
My wife has just got into hunting (21 ish :lol:) our daughter hunts she is 12, our other daughter who is 9 can't wait until she can come out next year...

So your wife gave birth to your oldest daugther when she was "like" 9 :eek: ????

I take it something is missing from this picture. Maybe a "step"?

SSS

308BAR
11-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Trying to get the wife out hunting with me, however unsuccesful at this time. However I'm going to keep on trying, nothing like a fresh pair of eyes and beginners luck.

Elkhound
11-21-2006, 11:58 AM
I was just wondering how many ladies are hunting these days? Are any of you bowhunters? What sort of ages are you? I think it is really good to see ladies taking up hunting.

Well Marc tried to figure it out. See this thread

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6784

DeerHunter101
11-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm 15, and I mostly hunt birds right now. I have gone for deer a couple times. My dad takes me all the time

Radar
11-21-2006, 06:53 PM
LOL @ Stone Sheep....I meant not putting my wifes age in case I get in trouble...hence the smiley after putting her age @ 21.....

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
LOL @ Stone Sheep....I meant not putting my wifes age in case I get in trouble...hence the smiley after putting her age @ 21.....
Sorry for the confusion but I'd be smiling like that if my wife was 21:lol: !!! I'm okay. She never reads this stuff.......................

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Sorry for the confusion but I'd be smiling like that if my wife was 21:lol: !!! I'm okay. She never reads this stuff.......................

SSS

Hmmm...that could cost ya a few O'Douls next time we're out for a few pops SSS! :lol: I better print this one off...

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Hmmm...that could cost ya a few O'Douls next time
we're out for a few pops SSS! :lol: I better print this one off...

Go ahead F/D! She'll be asking "Who is this Steve guy?:confused: " . I've got the bases covered:lol: .

SSS

ellellbee
11-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm 54 and have been hunting for 16 years. The previous poll showed only 11 female hunters on this site but I'm sure that only represents women hunters that also have the time or interest to go onto hunting forums.
Probably more women hunters in the rural communities than urban, IMO. Being from Vancouver originally I was the only woman hunter we knew of, then we moved to a small town and I am no longer a rarity.

Doe See Doe
11-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm a female hunter.

When I was a kid, my dad would bring home deer and moose that he got up north, and I would beg and beg to skin it and cut and wrap.
I also had a pellet gun, and me and my cat would go into the forest and do some 'hunting'.
Shot my first animal, a grouse, when I was 18. (not with a pellet gun)

Got out of hunting dureing my early 20's--too busy partying and going to clubs8-)

Smartend up in my late 20's, got married to an avid hunter, and have been doing it ever since.
I LOVE HUNTING!!!!!!
Dont care if I pull the trigger or not, as long as I'm elbow deep in a gut pile, I'm :)

Doe See Doe
11-23-2006, 04:18 PM
A first on this site? :lol:
Three female posts in a row...........oh, now make that four 8)

Beverly
11-23-2006, 04:24 PM
:twisted: well maybe we should now be asking for our own special seasons no?

Jetboater
11-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Its really good to see a bunch of women who hunt for themselves and not for the sake of their husband.Nothing bothers me more. We all hunt for ourselves. My wife has been hunting for years before I met her. I think its cool when she gets to spend money on hunting gear, camo boots and such, I dont feel guilty at all then when I bring home new gear.:lol: Personnaly my wife is the best hunting partner in the world!!!.

300WM
11-23-2006, 05:21 PM
My wife is my best hunting partner as well.

We spend almost every weekend together either huning or fly fishing.

I couldn't even think of being with another woman that didn't enjoy what nature has to offer.

browningboy
11-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes, there should be way more female hunters, it would beat running into guys all the time! Don't need a post office in the bush!:twisted:

Rod
11-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I also think a female hunting partner is fantastic and a lady that really knows her stuff and is interested for her own reasons kicks %ss.

What I have no time for is the occasional guy who seem to go out of their way to make a woman feel uncomfortable while hunting. I go out of my way to keep the chauvanistic <sp?> comments out of the conversation.

I feel sorry for the people who have never experienced the thrill of hunting with the lady of their dreams :-)

mainland hunter
11-24-2006, 07:53 AM
i took my girlfriend hunting this year and it was alot of fun for both of us. she was great to hunt with. She wants to come again but is unsure if she could actually pull the trigger so ill have to work on her a little more so she'll get her licenses.

Beverly
11-24-2006, 09:46 AM
In the core course Rod is doing with his son right now I asked how many girls were in the class..... of the 18 there are 4 girls so 20%ish.....not bad!

willyqbc
11-24-2006, 10:15 AM
We definitely need to work on recruiting the fairer sex. Unfortunately the license sales numbers don't look to bad but can be a little misleading as the number of folks out there who get their spouse to get core so they can have an extra chance for LEH, or extra tags at their disposal is quite high I'm sure. We do a "ladies night" once a week at our indoor archery range to try and give women who might be timid trying out the sport around a bunch of men a more comfortable environment to shoot in. We have brought in many new shooters this way....don't know if they will turn into hunters or not but they are one step closer than they were. I would think this might be a good bet for Rod and Gun clubs around the province as well. Any other recruitment ideas ladies?

Chris

Elkhound
11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
By next year I should have Symon's mom hunting with us as well as my wife who got her licence this year. And his mom used to be a Vegan:lol: She wants to support her son.8-)

youngfellla
11-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Man, some of you guys are lucky!

My girlfriend is a bit of a tree-hugger and won't have anything to do with hunting. Kind of a strange pair, with me being the redneck of all rednecks.:wink:

But she will eat the moose steaks when I put 'em on the table, so that's good enough for me.

Beverly
11-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Man, some of you guys are lucky!

My girlfriend is a bit of a tree-hugger and won't have anything to do with hunting. Kind of a strange pair, with me being the redneck of all rednecks.:wink:

But she will eat the moose steaks when I put 'em on the table, so that's good enough for me.

Try buying her camo thong panties (you can actually buy these on the net..no shit) and see how that works lol! :lol:

Start with the lingerie and keep going until you have her in full hunting gear and loving it 8-)

ellellbee
11-24-2006, 01:50 PM
i took my girlfriend hunting this year and it was alot of fun for both of us. she was great to hunt with. She wants to come again but is unsure if she could actually pull the trigger so ill have to work on her a little more so she'll get her licenses.

Wanna hear a good one? I was a vegetarian when I met my husband!

Tell her it's a matter of mind set and it is easy to get used to it. My main concern when I took my first shot was just that I didn't screw up. Women hunters are usually very hard on themselves to do it right and avoid any criticism from those (few and far between) male hunters that resent women hunters. Gotta keep in the good books of the guys when you have a long, uphill drag of the monster muley ahead of you!

ellellbee
11-24-2006, 01:53 PM
[quote=youngfellla]Man, some of you guys are lucky!

My girlfriend is a bit of a tree-hugger and won't have anything to do with hunting. Kind of a strange pair, with me being the redneck of all rednecks.:wink: quote]

Can you get her to hug the tree while you sit under it waiting for a big buck?

ellellbee
11-24-2006, 02:10 PM
We definitely need to work on recruiting the fairer sex. Any other recruitment ideas ladies?

Chris

Raise your daughters to appreciate the outdoors. Unfortunately, some women have been brought up on soap opera mentality. I know women that think I'm crazy because I enjoy the company of men and put things like a new scope on my Christmas list instead of jewellery. They're the type that buy their husband dress clothes when he asked for camo pants or tools. You aren't going to change them. However, if you think she's down to earth enough then work on her slowly, get her hiking, camping, enjoying the outdoors.... then fishing... then grouse hunting....... Just don't ask to to gut a moose right off the bat, eh. Think of it as hunting foreplay.:smile:

Elkhound
11-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I think I am in love with you girls8-)

browningboy
11-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Camo panties, let see pics!LOL GEEEESE:lol:

browningboy
11-24-2006, 11:13 PM
This thread was starting to get good, panties, foreplay just kidding, but it is a great thing to see women out in the field.8)

GoatGuy
11-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Buddies GF got her CORE and a bear and a 4 pt muley this year. She's well on her way.

My GF will be getting her CORE in the new year. She's been in on a couple kills and packs her fair share of out of the bush! It'll be a good thing according to her, "atleast somebody will shoot something then."

On a whole female participation has varied between 5-7% in BC; in the States it's actually increasing as a percentage of the hunting population.

Calum
11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Try buying her camo thong panties (you can actually buy these on the net..no shit) and see how that works lol! :lol:

Start with the lingerie and keep going until you have her in full hunting gear and loving it 8-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/Mongrelhordes/Emotas/1_nopics.gif

ellellbee
12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Here you go!

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:63jSu094RakwEM:http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/flip-flop-style_1907_96355118 (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/flip-flop-style_1907_96355118)

30-06
12-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I know of 5 women hunters in princeton.there is probably more

stixnstones
12-02-2006, 11:16 PM
look what i started.if there are any young ladies that want to go hunting this fall let me know. ladies are always welcome in my camp!:lol:

browningboy
12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Camo thong, now thats funny!:lol:

Gunner
12-03-2006, 05:40 PM
My wife took her second Whitetail buck 2 weeks ago,a 5X4,and it's a better buck than my 4X4!She doesn't like Mule Deer,she prefers the Whiteys for the table!She is also murder on ducks & geese,and isn't shy about getting her hands bloody when it's field dressing time.Even tho' it means buying twice as many guns,I wouldn't trade her for the world!:smile: Gunner

CHilko21
12-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I'll be 20 in February, I've been hunting since forever ( seriously, dad had me out when I wasn't even a year old, strapped into the 4x4 in my carseat), took a spike buck this year...not impressive but hey he's meat in the freezer right??? Looking for a buck with my bow this week, it'll be my first archery deer if I can find the bugger.

CHilko21
12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
...I know women that think I'm crazy because I enjoy the company of men and put things like a new scope on my Christmas list instead of jewellery.....:smile:

Hell yes I like your attitude. With me it's a toss up between hunting gear, horse equipment and leatherwork supplies though. Although, the leatherwork often means making hunting gear ( slings, knife sheaths, ammo cases etc.) and my horses can all pack, so it's all connected.

curt
12-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I have two daughters 6 and 9 that both love to go out with dad and a girlfriend who is willing to take the course but has said would definately not go on the big testosterone hunts with all the boys but hey thats all good with me quite weekend in the bush with a lady in camo sounds kinda fun too:lol:

stixnstones
12-05-2006, 02:54 PM
hello chilko.was wondering if you wanted to go to rock creek for some archery whiteys?season closes on the 10.

Kirby
12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I just know their isn't enough women in my age group hunting. Never found one that wanted to hunt, and lost a couple of GF's over it. As soon as they say "me or hunting" or "me or the dog" they're gone.
Congrats to all those who get their better halfs involved in it, their daughters involved in it, and most importantly to all the women out there.

Kirby

Beverly
12-05-2006, 05:56 PM
As soon as they say "me or hunting" or "me or the dog" they're gone.

Funny...I've had this problem too but coming from men hahaha.

I would wager tho that my 5 huge dogs is a bit much. My Kodiak (Malamute) is the longest surviving male in my life :lol: ever!

hunter1947
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM

I would wager tho that my 5 huge dogs is a bit much. My Kodiak (Malamute) is the longest surviving male in my life :lol: ever! I wish i had met you in my other life beverly ,hunter 1947.

Kirby
12-05-2006, 06:46 PM
My Kodiak (Malamute) is the longest surviving male in my life :lol: ever!

Sasha(my mutt of a dog) is my longest female companion.
Here she is looking at ground squirrels in a high country scouting trip.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/Sashaglassing.jpg

Kirby

Rod
12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
If I have any say in how things go this will change, any lady who can shoot, hunt and butcher and only complains about the lack of spare time to hunt is one in a million.

I think the five dogs just make for a complete "family" :-)

Now if anyone can tell me how to get rid of her phobia over bears the chances of a backcountry hunt beyond vehicle range just might materialize.

I would wager tho that my 5 huge dogs is a bit much. My Kodiak (Malamute) is the longest surviving male in my life :lol: ever!

Elkhound
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Now if anyone can tell me how to get rid of her phobia over bears the chances of a backcountry hunt beyond vehicle range just might materialize.

Take her out for spring bear and pop a couple for the freezer. A healthy respect for bears is good but a phobia I hope she gets over. Then again, a hunting buddy of mine is terrified of bears

Beverly
12-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Take her out for spring bear and pop a couple for the freezer. A healthy respect for bears is good but a phobia I hope she gets over. Then again, a hunting buddy of mine is terrified of bears

Ya dream on lol....I HATE bears. I was trapped in a tent trailer once with a momma & cubs breaking in/ got in the trailer. I've been terrified of them ever since. ( legit reason I think)

I also don't like the taste of them so do not hunt them as I will not eat it. However that being said I am terrified of them enough to blast the living hell outta one if it got near me :lol:

Elkhound
12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
You know Beverly, my wife hated the taste of my first bear. She did not even want me to shoot another. So I didn't for a few years. But I wanted to try again so she was supportive. She loved the meat from the last 3 spring bears. In fact, she loved it more than the deer in the freezer. How many have you tried? Just one time or more?

And yes. A legit reason for sure. The buddy I mention earlier. We laugh about it now but years ago he was bow hunting and a bear chased him. would not give up. He basically tried to fling arrows behind him as he ran. Killed the bear. Afraid of them ever since. He does go out bear hunting with me though. He carries a .444 for that.:lol:

CHilko21
12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Definately a legit reason Beverly. I myself don't mind the taste of bear, guess I've just been lucky I guess, cause most of the bear I've had has come from bears living off of local ranchers hayfields. I definately agree, give them their space and some respect. When I'm out riding and such, I'm a little more worried about cougars...the whole idea of not being able to see the buggers in the trees creeps me out more than a little. That and while some horses don't mind bears, they all seem to be terrified of cats, pretty good reason behind that though. And I think we can add another name to the female hunters list, or will be able to soon, I'm working on my buddy Tanya....just gotta get her her FAC and her CORE and we're set.

Rod
12-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I agree that bears deserve respect, I also had a run-in while moose hunting in Ontario. we got up one morning to find fresh tracks all around the tent trailer and decided to sleep with loaded rifles that night. My buddy awoke to a bear standing on his feet as she was pushing herself under the canvas.

His 300WM woke me up, killed the bear and the muzzle blast took out the side of the tent.

I have plenty of respect but still find them yummy :-)

CHilko21
12-08-2006, 10:41 PM

Wow, that sounds all too familiar...went out hunting with the last guy I dated and he was disgusted to learn I could out shoot him....poor baby. I have to say, the longest surviving male in my life ( family members excluded..) has been....my oldest quarter horse gelding, he's going on 26, and I'm going on 20, and he's been in the family since he was 2 or 3.

Rod
12-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Just to clarify things here.... I said she could shoot but never did I mention that she could OUTSHOOT me!!! :-)

Kirby
12-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Just to clarify things here.... I said she could shoot but never did I mention that she could OUTSHOOT me!!! :-)

Denial can be an ugly thing!:lol: :lol:

Kirby

Farmer
12-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Mrs. Farmer can outshoot me on the range. In the field, I have been able to hold my own. ( So far) 30 years experience versus about 3 is probably the reason. No problem for me if she out shoots me on the range or in the field. I just like having her out with me.

Gord

Gateholio
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Actaully, i find that when young girlls and boys take up shooting, the girls always out shoot the boys.

My theory is that the girls thought process is: "If I line the sights up correcly, and gently squeeze the trigger, I can hit the target perfectly, and that's pretty cool"

and the boys thougth process: "If i yank on this trigger as fast as I can, it will go bambambamabmabambamaam and make lots of noise and churn up some dirt!!!"

8-) 8)

Beverly
12-09-2006, 03:30 PM
One for us gals :)

REMEMBER THIS AT CHRISTMAS TIME
According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeers grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December. Female reindeers retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring.

Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl.

We should've known... ONLY women would be able to drag a fat-ass man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost.

Beverly
12-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Denial can be an ugly thing!:lol: :lol:

Kirby

No shit eh? lol considering he will be eating tag soup in 1.5 days and I have a mighty fine tasting blacktail in the freezer :)

Now off to the back 40 where a little buck and clan await me. I hope I get it before Rod gets over here. Maybe I will let him gut it for me lol. :lol:

Jennifer
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
As a new member to this site and a hunter - I had a good laugh over this reply!!...lol......I have found this site and signed up - now i don't know if i want to ell my husband about it - I might actually get more info than him - and use it to my benefit:)

Rod
01-15-2007, 09:09 PM
As a new member to this site and a hunter - I had a good laugh over this reply!!...lol......I have found this site and signed up - now i don't know if i want to ell my husband about it - I might actually get more info than him - and use it to my benefit:)

Maybe you should give me your husbands number and I can start a support group :-)

It must be something in the Mission water supply that makes the ladies want to show up their men AND tell everyone about it :-)

srupp
01-16-2007, 12:22 AM
I am blessed my wife helps with skinning..well she has held the leg while I skinned...lol she has helped drag a black bear and chase down grouse..she comes along on deer and black bear hunts but mainly drinks hot chocolat and reads and walks her 7 miles each and every day..

Susan also helps make sausage and butchering chores...she is a exellent fisherwoman but just has no desire to shoot anything.

She has agreed to a fly in hunt to the mountains as she enjoys photography......all in all Im pretty lucky (she bought me my first hunting quad...and my latest rifle.....Im pretty lucky with her hunting involvement..

Great to see all the ladies involved...and LOL at ELLERBYand Beverly I ACTUALLY DID SEE camo lingerie in a sporting goods store in Red Deer Alberta.......he he he ...

Steven

elkster
01-16-2007, 12:36 AM

Welcome to the site. You can learn a lot on here. The entertainment is good too.

Cheers:smile:

Elkhound
01-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Welcome Jennifer. It's a great site here. A wealth of information, some of it's even about hunting:lol:

wjh131
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM
My wife's first year out with me. Just calling coyotes right now but we'll be after deer in the fall.

let-er-buck-girlie
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I just moved out to Alberta after growing up in the East Kootenays. There are a lot of girls that hunt there and then I come out here and there are hardly any that I have met! I love hunting and cant wait to go out again this fall!:lol:

hunter1947
01-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Good for you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif,,keep up the good hunting. hunter 1947

huntwriter
01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow, I never knew we had that many lady hunters here. That's good news, very good news indeed. 8-)

The female section of our hunting heritage is the fasted growing. According to a recent statistic female hunters will outnumber male hunters in about 5 to 6 years, if the trend keeps up.;)

dino
01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
i tried to get my wife to go ,but she wont wear the antlers