PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly question

RMK
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I got a grizzly tag for this fall and was wondering about caping? If I skin the bear except the head and paws should I still salt the rest of the bear till I can get it to the taxidermist? How long do I have before I run into problems? Any help from some experienced guys on this site would be great thanks!

ianwuzhere
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
some taxis dont like salted skins or capes, but sometimes you have to do it in warm weather...
in the fall the weather should be cool enuf to get it off-cool it down then roll the hide up hair outwards..
phone your taxi and ask how they prefer.

BCbillies
09-05-2012, 09:32 PM
The key is to keep it cool and keep the flies off of it. If it's going to be in the 15 to 20 degree range you will likely have flies around you will start to run into problems in short order. I open the hide up during the night to cool it down and then roll it up during the day. If the temperatures are warm I like to skin the head and paws within the first 24 hours before salting it. There is ample work in turning everything and fleshing prior to salting.

moosey
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
If you're not skinning the head or the paws (turning the ears, nose, lips, pads) salting isn't going to help anything and I would try to get the hide to the taxidermist within 24 hours.

Darksith
09-06-2012, 01:49 PM
lucky enough to draw a grizz...where will you be hunting?

RMK
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=moosey;1198510]If you're not skinning the head or the paws (turning the ears, nose, lips, pads) salting isn't going to help anything and I would try to get the hide to the taxidermist within 24 hours.[/QUOTE

If the weather is cool will a hide stay for 2 days? To atleast let me get outta the bush? I am not all that farmilir with caping the head and paws so I was wondering if I skin him out if I should still salt the cape that is done.

moosey
09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
You may be able to get away with 2 days and I wouldn't salt it.

madrona sh
09-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Bacteria causes hair slip. Salt draws out the moisture and makes it harder for the bacteria to get going.
I would salt it and if the taxi has a problem with it go to a different taxi.