PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan spike fork moose on Oct 15??

Ol'Toyo
09-05-2012, 08:54 PM
So I ran into a couple of guys in the bush the other day and they said that the open season for spike fork moose in the okanagan(region 8) is a total scam. They claim that the young moose that were "supposed" to be harvesting have way more antler growth than spikes by Oct 15. Is this true?? Did I buy a moose tag for nothing?

Trophyslayer
09-05-2012, 08:56 PM
They stop growing by late August I don't know what those hunters were smoking.....

ianwuzhere
09-05-2012, 08:56 PM
not sure what you mean but u can find a 2 point or less in your region- so the tag is for the moose u gotta get out and locate..
Good luck, they are few and elusive but they are out there!

okanagan
09-05-2012, 09:13 PM
So I ran into a couple of guys in the bush the other day and they said that the open season for spike fork moose in the okanagan(region 8) is a total scam. They claim that the young moose that were "supposed" to be harvesting have way more antler growth than spikes by Oct 15. Is this true?? Did I buy a moose tag for nothing?
I have run into the fabled spike fork pre season and post season , just not one during the season :o( in the okanagan .

coach
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Might wanna tell Jethro and Bubba that they're misinformed!

09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
There are here......the elusive spike fork has eluded me as well, but l personally know a few guys that have harvested them in the north Okanagan and one fellow in particular has done it with some consistency.

bighornbob
09-05-2012, 09:24 PM

The antlers are the same size in late August as they are in December just minus the velvet. So if it was going to be spike-fork early on nothing is going to change. That being said they are pretty rare as the moose numbers in region 8 are less then other regions and the spike-forks are a small percentage of the total moose population.

Bhb

little moose
09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Saw one on sunday that was loosing his velvet on one side,definitley on more growth happening there!

moosecaller
09-05-2012, 09:44 PM
You're were talking to the really shallow end of the gene pool.....more growth between Aug and Oct you got to be kidding? right ?

Moosehunter64
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I have hunted the okanagan for about 25 years but for only a couple weeks a year because I live on the island and I have taken 2 immatures in that time and seen a number of other ones that were taken also so they are there and if you live there you have a much better chance I would think.

Andy83
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I shot one in 2007, right outside of Kelowna, on the 24th of October. They are out there.

Ol'Toyo
09-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Great to know guys, thank you all.

goatdancer
09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Do not delude yourself. There are no spike fork moose in the Okanagan. There are lots in Clearwater.

300H&H
09-07-2012, 06:18 AM

I think there MUST be some truth to what those guys were saying !
Seriously...if I can't find a spike/fork during season they MUST still keep growing after the velvet is shed.
How else can you explain my total failure as a hunter any other way !!!

Oh....if you do see me during the season, I will be up a tree in my stand "flinging more crap".

Did you really thing I was serious ?

Antlers keep growing after they shed the velvet !

LOL

The Dude
09-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Did these guys send you out for a glass stretcher or a bag of steam?
Maybe a Metric Crescent wrench?

If not, and they were serious, then their parents may have been first cousins.

curt
09-08-2012, 09:02 AM
thats pretty funny it goes to show you how little some people know about hunting and game..... once the velvet dies and is rubbed off the antlers quit growing!!!

swampdonkey
09-08-2012, 01:41 PM
They still grow after you shoot them to lol

igojuone
09-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Might wanna tell Jethro and Bubba that they're misinformed!

Don't tell them anything, let them go on thinking no such critter is to be had, it's tough enough to find one I don't need two more wannabes out looking around.

igojuone
09-08-2012, 04:15 PM
They still grow after you shoot them to lol

No they don't, that's just skull shrinkage.

twinpeaks3
09-09-2012, 08:15 AM
We have taken 3 fron the same spot over the last 10 yrs. They are out there but good luck finding one.