PDA

View Full Version : Dease River hunt

humbolt
09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I was thinking of heading up first week Oct. to hunt the river. I have a small jet boat and was planning on putting in at french creek or Mcdame. I would greatly appreciate any info. It will be my first trip up there. I have read past threads and it sounds like vehicle safety could be an issue. It sounds like it is better to stay at the crossing campground and day hunt out of there. Like I said I would be greatful for any info.

lightmag
09-05-2012, 08:58 PM
stay at crossing, hunt dease river, moose everywhere, any bull is open.

Cordillera
09-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I have left a vehicle at French creek with no problems. McDame is private property owned by the band at Good Hope Lake. People used to get access there but there was a time when the band was not allowing access. i don't have recent information.

The habitat is way better around the Dease above and below the crossing than below McDame but be careful because there are now good parts of the river inside the 400 meter no hunting zone. I also see more pressure than i like in that stretch so just to get away from the crowds I would go to McDame and head up (not down, its less productive there) and find an area you like and make camp. The best area I have seen is about 20 to 30 km below the cottonwood with less pressure than upstream of the crossing.

Peacepipe
09-06-2012, 07:46 AM
I used to hunt the Dease many years ago and the lower end is less travelled for sure. The crossing is a good place to park but so is everyone else. French Creek up is good water and lots of good camping spots. Cruise up to the Eagle river and back sure you will not have to much trouble finding a moose. Always good fishing also.

humbolt
09-06-2012, 09:48 AM
That is great, have you ever run into caribou in the area or even hike of the river to get at them. I appreciate the info.

Peacepipe
09-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes there used to caribou off the river. Not sure what it's like these days but going up river from French Creek look to your left, that range is the Horse Ranch. Used to be good trails around Boya Lake.

humbolt
09-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I will give it a go. Have you ever heard anyone going up the Eagle or Rapid river.

Peacepipe
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I guess I meant the Rapid not Eagle. Yes people have gone up there but I believe it's a challenge. Still not many cruising that area. There is private land just as the Rapid dumps into the Dease. Make sure you take a camera.

humbolt
09-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I will and thank you again for the info.