PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly's and Moose around Terrace

paulgug
09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I just recently moved to Terrace for work. I am brand new to the area and have never hunted the skeena region before. I knew I would be moving here a while back, so I put in for some LEHs up here and managed to draw a fall grizzly tag for 6-09B. If anyone could suggest some good places to start looking I would greatly appreciate it. So far I have been up the Copper river a ways and into the Clore for a little bit. I have seen nothing but blackies. Also wondering what the hunting scene is like for other big game. Any pointers on finding a moose? I would like to put in a couple days before the archery season ends!! Thanks

Most people I have asked so far don't know much about hunting the area, and suggest I focus on fishing.....

Kalum
09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I've found that the moose are few and far between around here. Try a float down the exstew river or head to the kitimat valley. The Kalum fsr is worth a drive as well. Way better moosing further north of Kitwanga. \Grizz should be on the rivers feeding up on the salmon.
Goat's where it's at though, make sure to apply for LEH for next year.

gerrygoat
09-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Some of the grizzlies will be up high right now feeding on berries and some may still be in the alpine. I would suggest you continue looking around in the Copper and Clore, like Kalum said the bears will also be looking for salmon right now, in short this time of year they could be anywhere so spend lots of time looking. PM me and I can give you a bit more detail. BTW the draw you have is even better in the spring when the bears come down low to feed on grass.

paulgug
09-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I put in for goat. I thought it would be a sure thing, but I was on the wrong side of the 1.4:2 odds! Thanks for the advice, I will just keep on putting my time in and hopefully I will come across something. How about mulies? I have heard they are pretty rare. I have been working in Smithers this week and bumped into a few up the Telkwa River. Any thoughts on hunting through the Telkwa pass? Looks like a interesting drive anyways

Skeena
09-05-2012, 09:32 PM
The Clore is good for both. The second growth is getting pretty tall but they are there. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Skeena

Cordillera
09-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Around smithers most people hunt mulies on private farm land. However there are a few deer up the Telkwa, McDonnel, towards the Babines; generally low densities and most people take them opportunistically when getting firewood or moose hunting. I've never seen them, but have heard there are some really big ones due to low densities and low hunter pressure. For the Telkwa up the powerline is good during the rut for moose but generally need to get a draw. Open season can be a gong show but get off the roads. Telkwa was better 10 years ago when logging was more recent and visibility was better. Good goat ground through Telkwa pass but also on LEH.

Have fun exploring. You seem adventurous enough to find some good areas.

limit time
09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Cant help with the G bear, but, Stop by Misty river,it's a sweet hunting store, with a shit ton of stuff! I was in there today and very impressed with his selection of guns, bows and...everything... Good luck!